Model Cars Magazine Forum

1956 Corvette Impala

kennb

There was a lot of cross pollination in the 50.s they were all furiously working on the yearly motoramas producing new concepts and using existing body types that they reworked,,,,,,the Impala and the Pontiac were both rehashed for the next show as were a lot of the others.....for GM they were considered advertising and when they were done with them they were sent to warhoops(I think that is the correct name) salvage were they were piled in the back of the yard and left to rot. In the last 10 years many of them were dug out of the mud and restored the best they could. They were all fiberglass models and some were cut up and put out to pasture.

The interior and chassis are off to the caster to complete the kit. Hopefully ill have to prototype castings next week to have photos of the complete car.,,finally :blink:

Some of the hard to find chrome is being cast whereas the typical items are from the 57 corvette. Mostly a few suspension parts and chrome goodies like door handles, headlight buckets,,,,,and some bumper parts........stay tuned for the final build coming up

The body castings came out so nice and the final parts will be cast in off white instead of the semi transparent. This will be easier to paint and nicer to work with. B)

(corrected the name of the junk yard where GM scrapped their cars)

Edited by kennb

Ken I believe you have the junkyard name right. GM had contracted with them to destroy the dream cars, but they just stacked them at the back of the yard instead. Probably couldn't figure out how to get rid of fiberglass. I first saw a photo of these cars in Old Cars Weekly, maybe 20 years ago. Someone shot a photo and was asking what these cars were. Next thing you know they were pulled out. I remember at least one car didn't have a chassis, only the body. Then Joe Bortz of the Blue Suede Shoes collection got involved, bought the cars and was restoring them. Not too long ago someone on one of the boards saw several of the cars at a show and posted some nice photos.

Tom, Ken , first it was Warhoops Automobile Salvage in Michigan. Now as to the story as to how these cars survived , it was Christmas Eve when the Impala and the L' Salle went over to be scrapped . The G M guy wanted out of town and being a Weekend , it meant a long week end .

Now , Joe Bortz did buy the L' Salle and he bought the Biscayne . A very close friend of mine did a lot of the restoration work on both cars here in Virginia .I have seen both cars as they were in his shop and if published , look for an interview with BOTH Art Anderson and Marty Martino together in a story in Still Runnin Magazine .............

• 3 weeks later...

received the castings for the kit today..............they will need cleanup and maybe a wash in mild dish soap....the release agent is paintable....I will be posting finished model later next week...you will need a 57 Corvette donor for trim pieces and wheels along with the suspension......the lit can be ordered thru wisdonm.

DSCN6426_zpsb9fdde1f.jpg

Edited by kennb

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...