Model Cars Magazine Forum

What's considered the 'Honus Wagner' (rarest) of model kits

I bought the Frog 1/16 Cortina a few years back and built it, here's the link to prove it(hope it works) :-

http://www.onethirty.../resin/Frog.php

£15 with box, unbuilt but a hubcap missing. it was motorised but didn't work that well. Also bought the Vauxhall Estate but sold that for £25.

I have seen most of the Frog kits and prices were in the region of :- Jaguar E Type £100 unbuilt, Morris 1100 £35 built, Ambulance £35 unbuilt plus other Cortinas around £50. The Ambulance I saw at an autojumble near Paris France, most of the others at toy fairs over the past £20 years.

The price of a kit, rare or on, is set by how much money the buyer is willing to spend. Impulse buying and bidding wars is what Ebay thrives on. I never try to get into a bidding war. If the kit I want doesn't come my way for a reasonable price, I let it go and wait for the next.

Just thought of this one... the old Aurora '33 Ford coupe hot rod kit. I've only ever seen one- in an article Tim Boyd did on hot rod engines in the other mag a few years back. I've never seen another one-in person, in print, or online.

You would think Google could come up with pictures of a lot of these kits - but it isn't that easy. They must be rare if Google can't even find them.

I have heard the Candies & Hughes funny car with the stock promo based body is pretty rare and cannot be re-released. Those Old Pro Nova kits were everywhere when I was younger, and still have several. In fact I see a lot of things listed in this thread that I would not have thought were all that rare, but then I still have my original first issue Gremlin that was just re-released...

what about that case tractor i saw...or i thought i saw?.....what other tractor kits were made minus the jd 310 and the jd 4430 and the international one thats out i know of?

there were 2 massy-fergison kits,one in puller style

the rarest big rig, a AMT kenworth/challenge cement mixer

what about that case tractor i saw...or i thought i saw?.....what other tractor kits were made minus the jd 310 and the jd 4430 and the international one thats out i know of?

The very first Airfix kit was a tractor - a ferguson. And yes, it is one of the rarest kits of all.

There were quite a few Tractor kits made in various Eastern Bloc countries, but they are highly prized collectors items among those folks and rarely make it westbound.

I'd say all pre-Perestroika Eastern Bloc kits are on the rare-kit-list, at least here in "the West".

Same goes for a lot of old Japanese kits. I have quite a few of which I have never seen a second one. Who knows how rare they really are.

Same goes for a lot of old Japanese kits. I have quite a few of which I have never seen a second one. Who knows how rare they really are.

The Japanese have made A LOT of models - some pop up all the time that I have never seen. There are some pretty hardcore collectors there too.

Care to share a couple pictures of some rare ones? I'd love I see them.

The Japanese have made A LOT of models - some pop up all the time that I have never seen. There are some pretty hardcore collectors there too.

Care to share a couple pictures of some rare ones? I'd love I see them.

Sure. But mind you, I consider them rare because I haven't seen any others. They may not be rare at all.

pic010.jpg

pic015.jpg

pic.jpg

mitsujeep.jpg

luce001.jpg

Edited by Junkman

Some interesting rarities, and not such rarities, from Dean Milano's Model & Toy Museum...(Including the 1911 Chevy)

http://toys-n-cars.c...nbuilt_kits.htm

The one that startled me in those shots is the box packaged as "USED CAR" in this pic: http://toys-n-cars.com/images/wall8.jpg

What is that, a Fairlane? Anyone familiar with the kit?