Model Cars Magazine Forum

What's considered the 'Honus Wagner' (rarest) of model kits

What about the MPC annual Big chevys from 1971-1975 before the tooling ended up as the '76 that was re issued recently? I do not think I have ever seen one.

And for me the monogram 79 Ram Charger I can never seem to find one :blink: ... I have often wanted to build that kit because my Uncle had one that he bought new and It was the highlight of a trip to visit family to go for a ride in it when I was little.

Not really all that rare, but we will never see them molded again....the 1966 Renwal Revivals. I have all but the Jordan which is hardest to find. I even have the Bugatti. Of all the ones I see for sale now and again, non were ever painted by the builder. I guess mostly because they were molded in color. The Duesenberg kit was actually released in two color variants of a light brown and dark brown. The colors were reversed for the second issue. Right now, my Bugatti is undergoing a build with upgraded chassis from a Corvette. If you remember, these kits had very basic chassis pans with similar wheels across the range and steel axles.

I know the rarest kit from this century is the cancelled Revell 87 Olds Cutlass Donk kit. I know a few folks who held it in their hands at the iHobby show. There's a crappy cell phone pic floating around, too. A test shot in grey and blue plastic, IIRC. Or it could have been yellow and blue, not 100% sure on that...

edit - test shot was grey and blue, built up was yellow.

Edited by Brett Barrow

I was wondering how long into this I would have to read to see that 57 Squire!!

I have one. Not an Original, but a Compilation. Parts original, parts resin, parts Ranchero.

got it in trade a few years ago, it needs a restor/rebuild, but................

He is gone, and not sure I want to tear it apart.

(James Hippyfreak Bush)

I too like those Electric Blue windows in the Elegance series. I have the "Street Sleeper" 65 GTO

Perhaps the rarest and most unusual kit I have here is a model of the 1925 Hannomag "Kommisbrot Limousine", which was a small, rear-engined German car from teh 1920's, The name "Kommisbrot" referred to the base shape of the car, which from the side reminded Germans of the time of the shape of the loaves of bread baked in the field by the German Army during World War I. The basic car was a 2-seat roadster, the Limousine version being a coupe, with a very angular, upright roof shape.

What is even more interesting is that this Hannomag (Hannomag was a German industrial company well-known for their trucks and half-tracks during WW-II), kit was produced in the Soviet Union sometime in the late 1970's or early 1980's, in 1/24 scale.

Art

Art, how does the Hanomag Cabriolet kit compare, rarity-wise? I bought the only one of them I've ever seen for sale and I don't remeber paying all that much. I've only seen one other and it was built as a sort of "street rod".

Art, how does the Hanomag Cabriolet kit compare, rarity-wise? I bought the only one of them I've ever seen for sale and I don't remeber paying all that much. I've only seen one other and it was built as a sort of "street rod".

Deano,

I have absolutely no idea. I do know that model car kits produced in the former Soviet Union were rather few and far between--the only other subject matter being a 1/24 scale kit of a 1928 International Harvester 2-ton truck, significant in the Soviet Union as their government had bought a complete assembly line for that series IH about that year, and they were produced all the way through WW-II--still looking very much like its US counterpart.

Art

I know what you mean. With me and my friends it was fire... :lol:

Yes we were into fire. My buddy Henry got a Cox airplane for a present. It lasted maybe a half hour. Then we decided to fill the broken fuselage with the remaining Cox airplane fuel. The resulting fireball was spectacular! Let's just say Henry didn't have eyebrows for weeks!

And I did burn a Tom Daniel Tijuana Taxi. I spent years trying to replace it, finally piecing one together. And of course that's when it got reissued!

DSC00013-vi.jpgDSC00014-vi.jpg

Maybe this one? I own this beauty but have never seen another. It looks like a car that Stuart Little would drive. This would represent something that's rare but has no value!

And I do need those missing parts if anyone has them.

Edited by Tom Geiger

The term 'rare' is often loosely tossed around. Most of the models already mentioned are not truly 'rare', just hard to find. It also depends if you are speaking official model company domestic production. To me, the models (not kits) that would be truly rare would be factory styling models or Fisher Body Craftsman's Guild models... or any one of a kind scratchbuilt models. Of course, the term 'scratchbuilt' is also loosely tossed around.

Of the kits mentioned, I'd have to go with the 1911 Chevrolet, Stude Champ pickup, and Corvair Rampside. Then again, suppy and demand make rarity a vague term. Many model kits just are not very desirable to any collector or builder.

and there was 'rare' pre-internet and 'rare' post internet. For instance there were kits and promos that you had never seen in person, no matter how many shows you went to. Mine was the '66 Plymouth Valiant promo. But with eBay, they come up for sale on a regular basis, and yes, I now own one.

Funny things happened when they took all the junk in America and organized it in one place that anyone, anywhere can access!

I had a Datsun 240Z (I believe) that came with a garage. Never even close to seeing one of those again. Another was a 1/32 Demolition Derby car in blue plastic-from the 60's. Anyone heard of these?

Edited by Fender

You mean this one??

DemolitionDemon_zps95af9b58.jpg

D-D1_zps0db4e1cf.jpg

I built this MANY years ago. NEW!!. Had 2 of the, Need to find a Grill for this one!.

Can you see the Error on the Box??

Think I will post this in Box Top Blunders too. There IS an Error!!

Did they ever offer this ford Stock Non-damaged??

I believe the 240Z Datsun/Nissan was from Lindberg and in "1/32" scale.

It was actually smaller than that but that was the listed/labeled scale.

I remember it, but never had one. Think I Might have an Old Lindberg catalog showing it.

Correct!! 1978/79 Lindberg Catalog shows the 240Z, but not with the Garage.

I can scan the page in a few days

Edited by Edsel-Dan

Yes that's the Demo Derby car ! Nice. I haven't seen that for a long time !!! Thanks for posting it.

As far as the 240 Z- all I remember is that the box or something could be made into a garage for the car. I bought the kit back in the early 80's. The guy said I should buy it because one day it will be rare. This could be the day. AND I don't have the kit. Go figure.