Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Paul.... Thank you for the kind words on this. I will put whatever % nitro it will handle :lol:

Ok Fellas... so I worked a little more on the tin work tonight and making progress so that is a good thing :D . I was pretty much working with my frame structure getting where it needed to be and then I have added some locating pieces to keep it in place until I get the rest of the sides built for it. Here's a few pics and thanks for looking....

I first started out with taping my center tin structure to the frame in place and then I added a few small pieces of plastic to hold the tin work in place:

DP-Army-Vega3129-1_zps89bd7611.jpg

Rear View and you can see one support piece on each side which will be removed after I get more of the tin built:

DP-Army-Vega3131-1_zps7f8938fd.jpg

Here is the front of the tin work with the two added supports keeping it in place. Now the gaps you see between the body and the fire wall area will be filled and I will be gluing pieces of plastic in place so that the tin fits snug to the body and you won't see any day light thru the sides :lol: :

DP-Army-Vega3136-1_zps0671b34c.jpg

Here is the rear of the structure being held in place with the chassis removed:

DP-Army-Vega3141-1_zps1387c820.jpg

Here is the rear window area. I added a piece of angle in the window area and brought my tin work center structure up to it. well I made the mistake of cutting it a little short So I was getting it in place to be able to bridge that gap I made :angry: . I should of cut off a smaller piece... actually I should of sanded instead of using the razor saw :lol: . but the back window piece will attach to this cross bar piece I have added and as I mentioned panel for the tin will be glued in place then I will cut this angle away from the body and will be able to remove the tin work:

DP-Army-Vega3142-1_zps576cd2a5.jpg

Excellent progress Chris. Looks like the tinwork will be done soon and painted. I noticed pins/rivets holding things in place at the rear of the side windows...........they will eventually hold the speakers in place, right? Ha.

Dave... thank you. I am hoping to have most of the fabrication done by tomorrow night.you caufht me red handed that those riveta are gonna hold the speakers up ...lol

Bill... thank you bud. I will sure be glad to be done with this tin work lol

Danno.... I had no idea you were secretly a rivet counter ;) .... :lol: Kidding buddy!! but if you wanna count all of the rivets on this tin work when I am done adding them you are more than welcome. lol

Brad... Thank you my friend.

John... Thanks my Big Brother!!

Scott.... Thank you. These Rivets in the Window Panel I am using are from scale hardware and the part number is RIVT-08-B, Rivet 0.8 mm Head Diameter and made Brass.

Dave.... Thanks man. It may look easy but then again some of the parts I make a couple of times before I am happy with it :lol:

Art... Haha

Steve... Thank you

David... Thank you for the kind and encouraging words.

Well guys here is another update on the tin work. I am just about done with the fabrication on it. I have one more piece that I need to make. Once done with that I need to do the body work and sand stuff down. As well as drill holes for all of the rivets that I will be putting in this body tin work.

Starting out I needed to fill the gap between the fire wall portion and the body, shown here is the gap between the two:

DP-Army-Vega3151-1_zps89bc18a8.jpg

I have added plastic to bridge that gap between the body and the tin work:

DP-Army-Vega3150-1_zps73624895.jpg

Here is one side that I added material to. This will all get sanded and you will never know it was multiple pieces:

DP-Army-Vega3153-1_zpsf4a40217.jpg

This is the other side:

DP-Army-Vega3154-1_zps2d25f637.jpg

I got the side pieces glued in as well as I made pieces to fit the top corner which can be seen here in this pic:

DP-Army-Vega3162-1_zps1441f464.jpg

Here is a shot of the tin work from the underside. I have one more piece to make that will get glued in on the back that goes around the roll cage area. Once I get it made and glued in I will remove the tin work and take pics of it out of the body. I have tacked the tin work in place in a couple spots just so the tin work wouldn't move so I could get the other parts fit right while fabricating them:

DP-Army-Vega3169-1_zpsf3f16d91.jpg

Well Fellas.... I pretty much have the Body tin work completed. I still need to add some support pieces from the sides and what i am calling the fire wall portion. I need to glue those two together and as well I need cut the dash up and add the detail that goes to the front windshield. But to be honest I am ready to take a break from the tin work....Little burnt out on it...haha. Not sure what to move to next... more body work stuff.... for example...cutting out the escape hatch and make it working as well as the air dams over the front wheels. OR get back and prep the chassis and some other parts for paint OR the engine... Hmmm what to do B)

I got the rear section piece fabricated and installed:

DP-Army-Vega3172-1_zps476cd4d5.jpg

Another View:

DP-Army-Vega3175-1_zps565d4820.jpg

Here is the Tin Work out of the body, I still need to remove the two support pieces I created to keep things together when I first stared making this:

DP-Army-Vega3179-1_zpsab44f97b.jpg

View of the bottom:

DP-Army-Vega3183-1_zpse4af3cbb.jpg

Placing just the tin work on the Chassis:

DP-Army-Vega3189-1_zps10b3a75e.jpg