Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Cars of Rock 'n' Roll and Country Music

CorvairJim

You listen to the music and you hear all the references to cars. Now's your opportunity to build your favorite car from the world of music. Is it a "Hot Rod Lincoln" (Commander Cody)? A "Little Red Corvette" (Prince)? Maybe a "Pink Cadillac" (Bruce Springsteen, Natalie Cole, or Aretha Franklin)? You could have "Fun, Fun, Fun" 'til you're done buildin' your T-bird (The Beach Boys)! Maybe "Trade in your Chevy for a Cadillac-ac-ac-ac-ac-ac"... (Billy Joel) Having trouble figuring out what to do with that Little Nash Rambler kit gathering dust on the shelf? A "Chevy Van" would be all right by me. You build Big Rigs? Great! How about a "Cabover Pete with a Reefer On" or a "Jimmy Haulin' Hogs" (C.W.McCall)?

It doesn't matter whether it appears in the title or it's just mentioned in the song (And by "mentioned in the song", I don't mean just shown in the video with no actual mention! This is about the music, not the videos. I don't watch MTV, VH1, or Country Music Television!). If the "Vehicle" (Ides Of March) is recorded for posterity, it qualifies. (But to be fair, it should be a song that most of us are familiar with) HERE'S THE CATCH: There will be only ONE of each car or truck eligible for this Community Build. So if you want to build a Little Deuce Coupe" (Not that that one hasn't been done to death already!), you should probably get your name on it early! If the song isn't absolutely specific about the car/truck in question, feel free to go your own way within the spirit and era of the song. (For instance, a "Hot Rod Lincoln" would be any 50's-era Lincoln engine in any Model A body, and Ides Of March's "Vehicle" could be just about any black sedan through the mid-70's) If you want to submit more than one, that's okay but please give others an opportunity to get their picks in before naming your second build - maybe two weeks between submissions.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A CHANGE FROM WHEN I FIRST POSTED THIS CBP: THE ORIGINAL DEADLINE OF DECEMBER 31, 2011 HAS BEEN LIFTED! THERE ARE SO MANY GREAT COMMUNITY BUILDS GOING ON (I'm involved in several of them myself... ) THAT I'VE COME TO FEEL THAT A DEADLINE IS UNREASONABLE. AS THEY SAID A YEAR AGO IN NASCAR, "BOYS, HAVE AT IT"! TAKE YOUR TIME AND ENJOY THE BUILD!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

RUNNING RULE CHANGE NUMBER 2: I'VE LIFTED THE "ONE AND DONE" RULE! IF YOU WANT TO BUILD A MODEL BASED ON A SONG SOMEONE ELSE HAS SELECTED ALREADY, GO RIGHT AHEAD. MAYBE YOUR IDEA OF THE CAR/TRUCK IN THE SONG IS DIFFERENT FROM THE OTHER GUY'S OR YOU JUST THINK YOU CAN DO IT BETTER (IF THAT'S THE CASE, FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE DON'T COME RIGHT OUT AND SAY IT!). AGAIN, LIKE IN NASCAR, "BOYS, HAVE AT IT"!

Imagination is a good thing: The song tells you what the car is, but it's up to you to interpret what the singer was singing about. As with other Community Build Projects, I'd like to see "In Progress" pictures. I find that they're one of the best things about these things, having the opportunity to get into other builder's minds (and workshops!) to see how they get the results they had in mind at the outset of the build.

(Here's a personal challenge to each and every one of you, and this one is open to everybody, basically because I want to see what you can come up with: The car from Johnny Cash's "One Piece At A Time"!)

Entry List:

Corvair Jim - A Brand New, Shiny, Red, Super Stock Dodge (from "The Little Old Lady From Pasadena" by Jan & Dean)

metalmulisha20@live.com - 1965 Mustang convertible ("Black Sunshine" by White Zombie)

DiscoSpud - A Slick Pick-Em-Up Truck ('Hillbilly Deluxe" by Broks & Dunn)

W-409 - A Chopped Top, Slammed Down '49 Mercury (" '49 Mercury Blues" by The Brian Setzer Orchestra)

Jantrix - A Flatbed Ford (Take It Easy" by The Eagles)

diymirage - A Rusty Chevrolet ('79 Monte Carlo) ("Rusty Chevrolet" by Da Yoopers)

ewaskew - A Brand New Mustang, a Nineteen-Sixty-Five ("Mustang Sally" by Wilson Pickett)

Dragline - A Pink Cadillac ("Freeway" by the Pointer Sisters)

hvymtl - '69 Chevy 396 (Model to be decided) ("Racing in the Sreets" by Bruce Springsteen)

Gray07 - A Chevy Van ("Chevy Van" by Sammy Johns)

Danger - A Red Barchetta ("Moving Pictures" by Rush)

metaslmulisha20@live.com - An XK-E and a Stingray ("Dead Man's Curve" by Jan & Dean) (One more pending the 2-week waiting period mentioned in the ground rules above.)

tylersloan - A Hot Rod Lincoln ("Hot Rod Lincoln" by Commander Cody)

AND HERE WE GO, FOLKS:

Tyler is the first to accept my personal challenge to build Johnny Cash's " '49-'50-'51-'52-'53-'54-'55-'56-'57-'58-'59 Automobile" from "One Piece At A Time"!

DiscoSpud - A Big Black Dodge ("Copperhead Road" by Steve Earle)

evilone - a "1959 Cadillac Hearse" ("Horny in a Hearse" by Nekromantix)

Justin - A "2 stack Mack with a bunk in the back" ("Chicken Lights and Chrome" by Jesse Watson)

Nick Winter - A "Trans Am 6.6" (Trans Am [Highway Wonderland] by Sammy Hagar)

DaveM - A "Chartreuse Microbus" ("Convoy" by C. W. McCall)

W-409 - A "Brand New 409" (Stuffed into a '32 Ford rod!) ("409" by The Beach Boys)

57peppershaker - "A Road Runner Engine in a '32 Ford" ( "Ram Rod" by Bruce Springsteen)

Gothic Kustomz - Mustang ("Black Sunshine" by White Zombie)

Nick Winter - "A Road Runner Engine in a '32 Ford" ( "Ram Rod" by Bruce Springsteen)

Edited by CorvairJim

Put me Down for:

Brooks 'n' Dunn - Hillbilly Deluxe

I need to do some more reserach into the truck used in the video clip but I'll get back to you.

All I know is the interior will feature "Black Denim" and the wheels and exterior must feature chrome. I think based on what I've seen in the clip it's a highly modified 1984 Toyota Hilux Single cab with a highly modified blown 350 chev.

I'll let you know hoe it progresses.

Do we reserve the right to back out if all goes up a certain creek without a paddle? Getting decent kits in australia is a pain, but I'll make an effort! :lol:

Okay I am in, sounds like a fun CBP

Put me in for:

"Black Sunshine" 1965 Mustang convertible (White Zombie)

"Dead Man's Curve" Jaguar XKE and Sting Ray (Jan and Dean)

"My Hooptie" 1965 Buick Electra (Sir Mix-A-Lot) (Going with a '62 unless I can find a '65)

I figure I can get them done buy the end of the year...:lol:

I guess you missed the pick ONE and then wait two weeks before picking a second, part. :lol:

Also the Electra 225 in the Sir Mix-a-lot song is a 69.

---

I am still deciding what car to do. I know a bunch of great songs with cars but none of them are popular enough for the majority on here to know.

Edited by ra7c7er

Well, I'd like to join in:

Chopped Top, Slammed Down '49 Mercury (Brian Setzer Orchestra)

I'm not sure but I try my best to get it finished before the deadline... This is going to be very interesting community build. :unsure:

Okay I am in, sounds like a fun CBP

Put me in for:

"Black Sunshine" 1965 Mustang convertible (White Zombie)

"Dead Man's Curve" Jaguar XKE and Sting Ray (Jan and Dean)

"My Hooptie" 1965 Buick Electra (Sir Mix-A-Lot) (Going with a '62 unless I can find a '65)

I figure I can get them done buy the end of the year...:D

You're down for the '65 Mustang and if nobody else puts in for the other two, I'll add them at two week intervals as stated in the build rules. I want to give everyone a chance to build their favorites for this since I've limited it to only one of each vehicle for variety's sake. Hopefully you'll be able to get those entries in too - I'd like to see that 6-taillight Stingray at the light when the XKE pulls up!

Well this is very cool. I love it when my very next build planned fits into a CBP so nicely.

So I'll be doing the flat bed Ford from the Eagles "Take it Easy".

For the record it'll be an AMT 34 Ford PU with the optional flat bed.

Great idea! I built one of those as a stake body back in the 1970's. It was my first top-chop.

(About the song: Did you know that the first two verses were written by Jackson Browne?)

I guess you missed the pick ONE and then wait two weeks before picking a second, part. :blink:

Also the Electra 225 in the Sir Mix-a-lot song is a 69.

Some how I did miss that, which is fine, I already had plans for all these cars anyway. :D

And yes, I know the "Hooptie" is a 69, I mistyped...<_<

No worries! ;)

allright guys, ive made up my mind

and even though i know i really shouldnt but im doing it....im building a chebby

from what just may be the most famous contemporary Christmass song ever "rusty chevrolet" by da yoopers

i think my favorite part of the song is "i just passed up my left front tire and its getting hard to steer"

im thinking of using up my bel air (56 i think)

it will be a shadow of red and a very slow build :lol:

you know, i used to be very deep into the heavy metal and iron maiden was one of my all time favorite bands

(one of our favorite drinking games was to have the DJ play a maiden song and the last person to recognize it had to buy a round)

so when someone mentioned "the vehicles from ides of march" i started thinking...there aint no vehicles in that song...better yet, there aint no lyrics to it PERIOD

google to the rescue....turns out there was this one hit wonder called "ides of march"

lol

you know, i used to be very deep into the heavy metal and iron maiden was one of my all time favorite bands

(one of our favorite drinking games was to have the DJ play a maiden song and the last person to recognize it had to buy a round)

so when someone mentioned "the vehicles from ides of march" i started thinking...there aint no vehicles in that song...better yet, there aint no lyrics to it PERIOD

google to the rescue....turns out there was this one hit wonder called "ides of march"

lol

Great song, lots of heavy brass. It sort of sounds like a heavy-duty Blood, Sweat, and Tears song:

"Yeah, I'm the friendly stranger in a black sedan

Oh won'tcha hop inside my car?

I got peanuts, got candy, I'm a lovable man

And I can take you to the nearest star,

I'm your Vehicle, babe,

I'll take you anywhere you want to go,

I'm your Vehicle, woman,

And by now I'm sure you know,

That I love you (Love you),

Need you, (Need you),

Won'tcha, got to, have you child...

Great God in Heaven you know I love you...

If you want to be a movie star

I can a take you to a Hollywood,

But if you want to be just what you are,

You know I think you really should,

I'm your Vehicle, babe,

I'll take you anywhere you want to go,

I'm your Vehicle, woman,

And by now I'm sure you know,

That I love you (Love you),

Need you (Need you),

Won'tcha, got to, have you, child...

Great God in Heaven you know I love you..."

Edited by CorvairJim

(Here's a personal challenge to each and every one of you, and this one is open to everybody, basically because I want to see what you can come up with: The car from Johnny Cash's "One Piece At A Time"!)

I just checked out the lyrics to this song. Holy cow, what a hosed up project that would be. I don't think you're gonna get many takers on this one. Evilone is also the only person I can think of who's got enough Caddy parts to even attempt this one. I'd love to see him give it a try though.

The reason the Ides Of March song "Vehicle" sounds like BST is because David Clayton Thomas sang it. He eventually joined BST. Or did BST evolve from IOM?

I forget.

My song "Freeway" from the pointer Sisters [Or Springsteens tune] both have pink Cadillacs in them.

So there ya have it.

I'm in

Bob

The reason the Ides Of March song "Vehicle" sounds like BST is because David Clayton Thomas sang it. He eventually joined BST. Or did BST evolve from IOM?

I forget.

My song "Freeway" from the pointer Sisters [Or Springsteens tune] both have pink Cadillacs in them.

So there ya have it.

I'm in

Bob

Hey, I didn't know that about David Clayton Thomas singing lead for Ides of March! I try to learn something new every day, no matter how trivial... It took me until 12:25 AM today, but I made it before I went to bed so I guess it counts!B)

Bob, you're down for your Pink Cadillac. I'm not familiar with that one; Is it the same one as Aretha Franklin's "Freeway Of Love"? That's one of my favorite Motown tunes, and a great driving song!

Edited by CorvairJim

I'd barely read any of this thread before I got so excited to see if I wanted to contribute. I looked up car songs and found "Vehicle" which has been one of my favorites my whole life. Now a local 12-piece band with 6 horns does that song and if you want an out of body experience, hear it live! Sadly, now I see there's been so much traffic about that song on this thread that I'm not gonna do it. That's okay, there's lots of ideas.

I dragged it out for a couple of pics. It's been dry for a couple of weeks now. I put it away so I would not be tempted to do anything else on it till my 1960 Starliner and 07 GT500 are finished. I'll be done by the deadline by a mile though.

24eqj6g.jpg

3023lhf.jpg

112c1fq.jpg

I may end up painting the top cover an off white. Interior will be white of course.

Bob