Model Cars Magazine Forum

I've been wanting to make a rat rod for a while and had a Sonoma model laying around so... :DB)

So far I have started on the chop and cut off the fenders. I plan on using the frame and suspension from a 1937 Ford Pickup and the leftover inline 6 from my '52 Chevy project. I have also started shaving the handles and will be shaving the taillights and trim.

This is my first time chopping a vehicle, so I will be taking my time with this. To chop it, I just cut the roof into quarters to allow it to be expanded to what it needs to be when chopped. Right now I'm in the process of smoothing out the roof. So far no major issues.

I need some ideas on what to do for the suspension. I think I'll do a hybrid of the Ford frame and suspension with some add-ons from the Sonoma. Also, could I get some ideas on what the inline should look like. I work with V engines most of the time so I don't know what type of intakes, superchargers, etc. can be used.

Don't have,many pictures yet, but here's what I have so far.

Prepped for surgery:

100_0426.jpg

100_0427.jpg

And all cut up:

100_0428.jpg

Thanks for looking, I'll try to get more pictures soon.

Edited by 91blaze

Work on this has been a little slow, but I'm making progress. I haven't had time to take pictures, but so far I have the roof almost finished and smoothed the door handles and side trim. Most of my time has been spent test fitting and deciding what to use. I will be building the inline 6 soon for test fitting and getting pictures. I also found a spare bed from a 1920-something truck that I will be using instead of the stock bed. Only pictures are of in-progress roof chopping. These will give you an idea of what it will look like.

Roughly 6 inch chop:

100_0451.jpg

100_0452.jpg

Got a little more done, but progress is slow. Been smoothing up the roof and deciding how it should look. The roof came off while smoothing, but I got some pictures with the roof just sitting on for an idea of what it will look like. I'm also starting work on a custom grill which came out of the 37 Ford as well.

100_0457.jpg

100_0460.jpg

Start of the grill:

100_0464.jpg

• 1 month later...

Got some more done today but no pictures. The body is finished and painted. Unfortunately, the roof is a little messed up, but it's acceptable. Also got the engine built and a few little things finished. I should have it finished hopefully by Wednesday because I'm using it for a school project. I will get some pictures as soon as I can.

Thanks for the comments, I finally have time to post pictures so here they are:

The engine and frame finished:

100_0984.jpg

100_0986.jpg

Body finished:

100_0987.jpg

100_0989.jpg

And put together:

100_0990.jpg

100_1015.jpg

100_1011.jpg

100_1012.jpg

100_1014.jpg

Hope you guys like what I got so far. This is far from finished, but is acceptable to use for my project. I still need to make the windshield, grill, find a radiator, fix the exhaust. and a few little things here and there. Also need to add alot to the interior. In the meantime, I will be working on the next model for use in the same project. Just a stock Jeep Honcho with a little lift and new tires:

100_0983.jpg

Edited by 91blaze

Haven't had time to work on the rat, but I did get alot done with the Jeep. All I have left to do is make the exhaust and add some engine detail. When these two are done, I will put them in the Under Glass section. Got some pictures of the Honcho. I lifted it 6" and put some tires off a cheap RC car, they are roughly 35" in scale. Made the shocks and drive shafts too. Rims are from a Chevelle or some other muscle car, not sure.

100_1071.jpg

100_1090.jpg

100_1111.jpg

100_1115.jpg

100_1112.jpg

100_1119.jpg

Edited by 91blaze

Thanks Terry, and I've seen that S10 before, it's the only chopped S10 I can find. Stupid question guys... How am I supposed to wire the inline six. All reference pictures I can find shows the plugs on the passenger side and the exhaust on the driver side, as shown in the picture. I put it together as the instructions show, but I don't understand what I need to do. Any ideas?

post-8478-0-09900100-1337482326_thumb.jp

Can anybody help? The engine is from a 53 Bel Air. It has a stock and custom version of the engine in the instructions. The stock engine is like the one in the photo but the custom one is completely different, as you can see in my pictures. The plugs in the stock picture are in the same place as the exhaust is on the custom version. Does anybody know how I'm supposed to wire it?