Model Cars Magazine Forum

This baby was among lots of other models inside a box of built kits I got from a friend. It was painted white and the apint was coming off.

The engine, was a Chevy small block, and wheels were alloy aftermarket.

First thing I decided to get rid of the non FORD engine, and swaped a 351 Windsor from the parts box. Then, got rid os the alloys, in favor of steel wheels, with white line rubber around, and baby moon dog dishes.

After the brake fluid did it's thing on the old paint, I gave the body some coats of Tamiya Bright Mica red.

Tell me what you think, and be mean if necessary:

Ranchero001copy.jpg

Ranchero004copy.jpg

Ranchero005copy.jpg

Ranchero006copy.jpg

Ranchero002.jpg

1950sCars012.jpg

1950sCars011.jpg

Wow, nice restoration. I love these little trucks. The wheels are perfect on this one. Did you scratch build the tool box?

And by the way, did you have to take up three parking places?

Thanks!!

That tool box, well it was inside that box with the built models, and to be 100% honest, I can't tell from what kit it came from, but I just gave it some Testors acrylic blue, and some silver detailing.

The steel wheels came from a AMT '40 Fors. The tires are from a toy car, since the ones from AMT and Revell I have to spare were all too big.

A great rescue of a glue bomb (That's one of my favorite aspects of the hobby). Don't be too hard on the Chevy engine that was in it when you got it. That's what AMT put in the kit. The ONLY engine they put in the kit. Hey, I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Chevy man, but I was disappointed to find that out when I bought a reissue of the kit about a decade ago. I had been hoping to find a straight-6 in the box... I never did get around to building it as a result.

I heartily approve - beautiful work, nicely photographed - a great save!

Only because you asked though, there is only one very small thing I'd change (if you want the car to be more "correct") - the rear window surround is actually a black rubber gasket, not chrome.

I heartily approve - beautiful work, nicely photographed - a great save!

Only because you asked though, there is only one very small thing I'd change (if you want the car to be more "correct") - the rear window surround is actually a black rubber gasket, not chrome.

Yes, I know about that detail, thing I got over exited with the silver paint, and since I havan't a Ford six and went with a hot roded V8, I kind of thought "flat black... Nah, let's ad some bling!!" hahahahaha.

Since I did the rebuild on this one, I noticed some kits of FoMoCo cars only have a SBC as motorvation. That has to be part of the world SBC conspiracy!!!!!

I bought a Monogram '32 Ford kit, the one on the "classic cruiser" series, and the thing only came with... Guess what? Anyone? Yesssss A SBC!!!!!! Ande the box said "Official Ford Licenced Product"

Do I have to say I got really pissed? I remember thinking "I swear I'm gonna buy a 1:1 '57 Chevy, swap a FORD Y-Block 292 with a Ford-o-matic and put a sticker on the rear window saying: Fixed this thing!!!"

I have nothing against Chevys, not at all, but a scrub, sorry, Chevy engine belongs in a Chevy.

Thanks!!

That tool box, well it was inside that box with the built models, and to be 100% honest, I can't tell from what kit it came from, but I just gave it some Testors acrylic blue, and some silver detailing.

A tool box came in the Ranchero kit (at least the most recent reissue), along with an assembled bumper jack and a wall mount display stand.The bed cover was in the kit, and I believe the radio antenna was an optional piece. Since the kit was labeled a custom, there weren't many stock pieces in there. The interior, body, and chassis were factory stock.

The kit came with what was labeled a Big Block Chevy in the assembly steps. In the "intro" to the instructions, it says a 'monster 427 Chevy V8 RAT motor.' The kit also had chrome 3 spoke wheels with low profile tires.

It's not that I'm a Ranchero expert, but I am restoring a glue bomb 61 Falcon using the Ranchero as a donor kit so all the info is at hand.

You did a great job on the restoration! Love the red.

Thanks for that info Jim.

Great to know that tool box is part of the kit, but now I wish I had the display stand.

The radio antenna was a parts box item, I had to sand the base to fit the Ranchero's fender shape. The model came with one, but it was broken, and only the base was glued to the fender.

I was thinking about geting a kit, and building it with the correct stock parts, but if it doesn't come with the wheels, etc, the end result wouldn't be much different from what I did with the built model.

I heard something about a newer ranchero model coming from Trumpeter, but I'm not sure if it's a fact, anyway, that's a model I would love to own!!

The model is like the real Ranchero, not many around and always a pleasure to see. Nice job !

By the way, check out the Ranchero currently offered on BAT ( Bring a Trailer )

Edited by jdcar32

Tulio, back in 1961 when this truck came out , it was a "Curbside ". Yep. molded chassis , an indentation of what could have been a 200 Six cylinder even with a single exhaust . After 1962 and this kit was re- issued , it got retired . The Annual 1961 and the Styline 61 had the skinny white walls , stock hubcaps , loads of custom options , even a sedan delivery option !

Along came 1980. The Ranchero was re- issued as you see it now with a somewhat "Generic " Chevrolet engine , dual exhausts in the chassis and the somewhat plain engine compartment . Gone were the skinny "Compact " size tires . Gone were the stock hubcaps and the sedan delivery roof . Gone too were the wayyyyyyy kwell Styline extensions too.

The truck came back with new decals I guess about 1989. O K , they found the neat wall mount brakett one could mount the finished model on . SOME of the Styline pieces found their way back into the box . The tires were still the Pro Meat jobs . Billit wheels found their way into this issue .

Tulio, I have to say, you took a kit that had been butchered years ago and made something to be really proud of sir !

Ed Shaver

Beauty!!

I have 2 of the Craftsman kits to restore. a 61 Styline I got a few years ago,

and one of the Dessert Race/Rally series "El Ranchero Grande" kits I bought New back in 67/68

Both had the stock hubcaps, and 13 inch tires.

The Original kit had a Bed cap not a sedan Delivery option. That would take a complete new body.

Though with a LOT of work you might be able to simulate a 'Delivery with it by blending it into the body work

instead of it being a separate piece.

I did not know the last issue had the wall mount display in it again, and I have at least one of those kits!!