Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I have seen some trucks that you guys have posted and I am in aww of how they look. Its been about 25 years since I was in the hobby and plan on coming back to where I left off and that was build Large Trucks.

I was wondering if any of you had any input on how to make a set of the 2008 style headlights. I seem to have seen some on a few of Tim's models.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. I snapped a couple of pics of a 2008 Pete log hauler today. It belongs to a fellow I know who has several differnt types of log trucks. This is his newest additon to the fleet. I'll try and attach them but the format my be to big.

• 2 weeks later...

The new headlight module has superior lighting characteristics compared to the old module. I have seen 389's that have had old style 359 lamps and 379 style lights retrofitted. The change requires a new wiring harness, the lamps and mounts and a good installer to make them look right on the 389 grille shell.

It idea was to freshen the look, to get away from the 1977 Pontiac/Olds/Cadillac/Chevy era style.

The new modules need to be on a deep tapered Texas bumper, they look odd with a straight Texas bumper.

The old style 379 lamps are available as options on fiberglass hood "vocational" models - 365 and 367.

The 367 looks quite nice, especially a HeavyHaul hood SBFA.

76145501.jpg

76427233.jpg

Here's a 367 SFFA with old-style quad headlamps.

Tim

Cheers

John

My first and second attempts at the new headlight modules are abysmal failures. I've finally got the shape figured out but the lense detail will be next to impossible at this point.

Tim

The trick is to look at the model railroad guys. they use lenses called M V lenses. They are available from .020 to .625 (5/8") and are availble in red,blue amber,clear and green. They are in the WALTHERS catalog. I use them for early side lights on 50's/60's trailers and for rear work lights on the cab back. Paul