Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1/25 Shelby Cobra 289 Roadster

Casey

28 minutes ago, Jonathan said:

Cool!  I'm not sure I've ever seen the "hard top" successfully used on this kit.  Nice work.

Thanks! Not truly "successful," though--I need to do a bit more fitting between body, top, and windshield. Was just in a hurry to be done with the thing, a glue bomb rescue. B)

Just now, The Junkman said:

Is this in actual fact Round 2 that is producing it?  And if so, is there any word that they may have updated the molds to bring it a bit closer to current standards?  No one seems interested in a new molding of any version of the Cobra, though for the life of me I could see that as a license to print money.

11 minutes ago, The Junkman said:

Based upon the recent Revell rehashed Sunny not an FIA Cobra kit, I doubt we will see any mold changes such as the rack and pinion setup used on the later cars.  It’s improbable that there will be a 1/25 427 Cobra kit or a Daytona Coupe either even though there would be parts the new kits would have with the molds created almost 60 years ago.

2 hours ago, The Junkman said:

Is this in actual fact Round 2 that is producing it?

It has been publicly announced by Round2, so I have no reason to doubt it will eventually be available to purchase. They usually don't assign a kit number and send the info to distributors if they have no plans to actually reissue the kit.

2 hours ago, vamach1 said:

I doubt we will see any mold changes 

Yeah, there's really no reason for them to do that. Just straight reissue it with different box art and it will have no trouble moving off the shelves. 

Yeah.  Nothing changes w/ the Cobra molds.  And I tend to buy them, either Revell or AMT, when they're released.

I'm still (not!) waiting for the Academy 1/24 Daytona kit, announced in ... 2012, I think.  It even had a kit number assigned (15507).   And ... nothing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jonathan said:

Yeah.  Nothing changes w/ the Cobra molds.  And I tend to buy them, either Revell or AMT, when they're released.

I'm still (not!) waiting for the Academy 1/24 Daytona kit, announced in ... 2012, I think.  It even had a kit number assigned (15507).   And ... nothing.

I'm ready to buy it (or 3-4) right now.

3 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

The above is a stunning looking build. It’s not a color I would’ve never thought about for a Cobra. But, sure looks great on the one above. 

Thanks! It's just the molded plastic, polished. In real life it's a little darker, a little bluer, a little less "John Deere Green" looking. B)

1 hour ago, M W Elky said:

I would love to see a convertible up top included with this kit. 

I don’t think it was a very popular option on the real cars perhaps due to the time it takes to put it on and take off.  I think most people bought them as a car they did not intend on driving in the rain or cold weather much.  I lived in Virginia and had a kit Cobra for about five years and never even considered getting a top for it.  The New Years Day club cruise was always fun.🙄

On 2/23/2022 at 5:46 PM, Oldcarfan27 said:

Why would you even think about getting rid of it?!

The reality was in that climate I only drove it a few thousand miles a year (if that) and without a/c in the summer or heat in the winter it or wipers it was a very fair weather car.  I would not rule out getting a Daytona Coupe in the future but then I would have to sell another car.

Edited by vamach1

Another factor that doesn't get mentioned, is that the original AC Cobra was designed in Great Britain for miniature British Drivers. Once it got to the States, Corn-Fed 'Murcan boys had trouble fitting in the Dang Things. I've gotten to sit in both real and replica Cobras and at 6' even, the original is impossibly cramped. The replica is better, but my Size 13 feet would make driving either a chore. both cars are small. With the low doors and seating position, I felt like I was sitting "on" the car, rather than "in" the car.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Greg Myers said:

It would be nice to see Round2 put all of the parts back into their next release. 

I remember spoked wheels as well as Halibrand Kidneybeans.

there were also a few different steering wheel options as time went on.

I seriously hope they do. Right now, I'm doing a build of one of the 5 FIA cars. I kit bashed the Sunny 427 Cobra body with parts from the AMT body. It's been a real P.I.T.A. (Pain in the...) lately trying to get the trunk dimples right. I even made a correct FIA dash out of styrene sheet. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Casey said:

amt1319.jpg.443da3e175cc9d88f567caf976560e3c.jpg

Even the folks at Scalemates are probably thinking how many reissues are possible from one kit that came out in the early 60s.  There’s also the Sunny, Revell and some other variations 😁

F9D6DB85-BEE4-435E-8F01-01C62040B18D.jpeg

69A1122A-48C7-4C3F-A30B-1BB8EA044EFB.jpeg

Edited by vamach1
  • Haha 1

Other than the fact that Scalemates is wrong more often, than it is correct, I'd believe you.

Being Crowd Sourced, I've seen Corrections made by folks who know, and have the proper history, changed by the next guy in line, who doesn't know what he doesn't know, back to incorrect inormation.

Until Scalemates can put a stop to this Crowd Sourced silliness, it is near worthless as a reference.

41 minutes ago, stavanzer said:

Other than the fact that Scalemates is wrong more often, than it is correct, I'd believe you.

Being Crowd Sourced, I've seen Corrections made by folks who know, and have the proper history, changed by the next guy in line, who doesn't know what he doesn't know, back to incorrect inormation.

Until Scalemates can put a stop to this Crowd Sourced silliness, it is near worthless as a reference.

I agree. Scalemates is completely unreliable. 

• Like 1