Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jaguar factory to build a run of 6 brand-new E-type Lightweight 1963 cars

Yes but...I like all the "retro" styled cars above, but the Jag isn't "retro". Retro is "influenced by past work, etc". The Jag is a continuation of a 1963 vehicle, as close as they can get it. At least that's my current understanding.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Yes but...I like all the "retro" styled cars above, but the Jag isn't "retro". Retro is "influenced by past work, etc". The Jag is a continuation of a 1963 vehicle, as close as they can get it. At least that's my current understanding.

You're right. Not "retro" but "repro." Still neat, tho... :D

2002_chrysler_pt_cruiser_limited-pic-205Chevrolet_-_HHR.jpgProwler%20With%20Hardtop02-800.jpg2004_chevy_ssr_convertible_pick_up_truck

Yes, yes, yes, and yes! B)

An interesting study, retro , continuation (i.e. Shelby's continuation cobras) kit cars, clones, tribute et.al. ;)

Absolutely. Whereas Shelby's continuation cars used old un-assigned but valid serial #s, they were built from the Kirkham repros, and were actually much more symmetrical than the first "real" hand-built series..

As far as I'm aware, the run of Jags will be the first of its kind done by the actual factory that built the originals. Think of GM doing a series of 6 last-of-the-line '63 Corvette split-window coupes. Probably not gonna happen.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Absolutely. Whereas Shelby's continuation cars used old un-assigned but valid serial #s, they were built from the Kirkham repros, and were actually much more symmetrical than the first "real" hand-built series..

As far as I'm aware, the run of Jags will be the first of its kind done by the actual factory that built the originals. Think of GM doing a series of 6 last-of-the-line '63 Corvette split-window coupes. Probably not gonna happen.

And it is in fact the "actual factory," not just the manfacturer - the new JLR "Special Vehicle Operations" "Heritage" activity is based on the Brown's Lane site in Coventry where the C, D and E-types were originally built. They seem to be doing a mix of personalised and one-off vehicles (which may not be built at Brown's Lane) and a sort of "Jaguar Classiche" for owners and restorers of classic Jags with its own restoration services as well. Apparently, the spark of the idea came up in a conversation between Harry Metcalfe and John Edwards over dinner last year...

bestest,

M.

And a big +1 on Burt Levy's books. Get all of them! The Buddy Palumbo books follow US "sporty car" racing from the MG TC era through to Phil Hill and Wolfgang von Trips, and the linked follow-on trilogy -- still only on its first part -- will lightly fictionalise the GT40 vs Ferrari battle.

Edited by Matt Bacon

The article advises that for the same mega bucks as the E-type, one can buy a Bugatti Veyron, with all the bells and whistles. Why would anyone do that?

But would you rather have a 1 of 6 car that, IMO looks waaayyy better than the Bugatti Veyron. Or would you rather have a car that only the richest people in the world drive and brag about and is 1 of 400?