Model Cars Magazine Forum

'57 Chevy Stepside "Down Low" - Updated 10/13/2013

Dave... Thanks buddy..

Hello Fellas.... well I mixed some paint up this morning and sprayed some parts today. Pretty happy with how they turned out so far. Now I can't wait to get a little more done on this interior and get the body ready for paint.

I first painted the seats House of Kolor White base and then sprayed inner coat clear over it afterwards. Next step is to get the decals on the seat for seat material:

57ChevyPU0951-vi.jpg

Had to mock the seat up:

57ChevyPU0971-vi.jpg

Here is the interior bucket, it was first prayed with HOK black base then I sprayed PPG's Toyota Speedway blue over it. I left it just the base with no clear on it:

57ChevyPU0991-vi.jpg

Here is the Dash, It was sprayed with HOK white base first then sprayed HOK inner coat clear. After the inner coat clear was dry I taped the dash off and then sprayed PPG Toyota speedway blue:

57ChevyPU1001-vi.jpg

Here I placed the dash into the interior bucket:

57ChevyPU1031-vi.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Richard... Thanks man! I am excited about the progress on this one

Dave... Thanks bud... I really like the color combo. the color is a little lighter in person but was trying to shoot for a color close to the real car I took pics of.

So I was able to make some more progress on this build today. I was able to get the kick panels made up and the floor painted and flocked.... and here is the results.

I started out with making the kick panels from .020" thick styrene and then I covered them with with medical tape for the pattern of the material:

57ChevyPU1191-vi.jpg

I next sprayed primer on them and then painted them with a brownish tan color:

57ChevyPU1261-vi.jpg

Then I painted the interior bucket with the same brownish tan for the base of the flocking material:

57ChevyPU1271-vi.jpg

I then had to lay the kick panel in to see how it looked:

57ChevyPU1301-vi.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Here is all of the materials used for the flocking process:

57ChevyPU1341-vi.jpg

Here is the interior tub after flocking:

57ChevyPU1401-vi.jpg

Here is the interior mocked up with the seat, Dash and kick panels:

57ChevyPU1451-vi.jpg

Here is the view from the passenger side:

57ChevyPU1491-vi.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Very nice work as always, Chris! Looks like it doesn't matter what do you build, you do it perfectly! That interior is sweet, those colors fit perfectly together. I can't wait to see more.

Alyn.... Thank you. I am really digging the two tone with it. I still need to add some Bare Metal Foil, add a black wash to the glove box and ash tray as well as paint the knobs Alclad Chrome.

Richard... Thank you

James.... Thanks man... I can't wait to do a little more to it.

Niko... Thanks for the compliment my friend. Hoping to get more progress done on it later today.

Alyn... you know I never did consider painting the knobs blue. That may not be a bad idea at all and I really like the idea of that. Here is the reference picture I was sort of basing this build off of. But you really have me thinking about the blue knobs now. I still have some of the base mixed up that I could easily paint the matching blue.. Maybe I need to try and see how it looks...lol

GGSN20120751-vi.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Hello All.... Got a little work done to the seat this morning. Got the decals put on for the seat material and here it is.... was still debating if I should try to make a mexican blanket like the one in the original truck as well as adding more of the Giraffe print on the bottom side of the seat.... :huh:

57ChevyPU1551-vi.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Brad... thanks buddy.you know I have to agree with you on the seat cover material loks nice but I am gonna try and make a mexican blanket because I think it will fit the build better.. I actually picked up some material at walmart yesterday to make this mexican blanket.

Bill.... thank you sir

Chris, I took some photos of aftermarket gauge clusters at last years Good Guys, one of the pix I took was of the style that would fit the dash on this

I have the pix in my flickr account, here is a link to the thread: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=64962&page=2

[url= IMG_33168199543939_6e30f965e9_b.jpg
IMG_3316 by blunc1, on Flickr

Edited by blunc

Mike.... thanks for the pic of the gage cluster for the dash.... that thing looks sweet!!!

Keke... thank you. I am going to be attempting at making my own mexican blanket from some different color thread I picked up. Hoping it turns out like I would like.

John... Thanks my big brother. This has been a fun one when I have taken breaks from the funny car. I was hoping to make this a quick build but since I got the funny car chassis painted I have been focusing on it. I need to focus on the truck so I can finish up the interior.

Good Morning Fellas.... Well I worked on the mexican blanket for the seat last night. I am pretty happy with the results that I got making it But it did take a few hours to do and was a little time consuming but it was worth it. I ended up using DMC Embroider Floss which I picked up at walmart for 0.30 cents a color. This floss had 6 strands and I unwound those 6 strands and laid it on tape to create the blanket. I also had to figure a pattern out as I went. My first attempt wasn't too good because the lines got messed up and started going to not lay down strait. So on the 2nd attempt I started from the middle and worked my way out. Here is the results:

Here is the start of the blanket, I laid Tamiya tape upside down and taped it in place the length I needed it to be:

57ChevyPU1651-vi.jpg

Here it is once I was done with it:

57ChevyPU1671-vi.jpg

Here it is installed and glued on to the seat:

57ChevyPU1691-vi.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs