Model Cars Magazine Forum

NoVette

I've had this 53 Corvette bag kit laying around for a couple of years and couldn't figure out what to do with it.

P3020457Medium_zpsafa07abd.jpg

I bought a Nomad body at NNL East last week with plans of making a 58 Impala wagon. Unfortunately the body and parts for it didn't match, so I decided to cut it up and see if I can get it to fit the Vette. After cutting it off, I shortened and narrowed it, then attached it to the windshield frame.

P3020462Medium_zps0069281e.jpg

Here's what I came up with after a few hours.

P3020459Medium_zps2d08d3bf.jpg

P3020461Medium_zps0579ea87.jpg

After a night in the Purple Pond, the roof and tailgate were ready to be mounted

P3020463Medium_zps3d3a2f9a.jpg

Next up was to start making room for the rear wheels and tires. I cut the wheel house out and raised it along with widening it. I wonder why the stock kit has such a wide gap between the body and the wheel houses.

P3020464Medium_zps3d3a2f9a.jpg

I still need to trim the outer edge as it's too wide and the interior tub is not centered.

P3020465Medium_zps25a75ced.jpg

Edited by Psychographic

Thanks for the comments everyone.

I've got the other rear wheelwell roughed in.

P3030467Medium_zps828c9a7d.jpg

P3030466Medium_zps8152bf9a.jpg

I learned something today, I never knew there was two different 53's, I thought Monogram was the only one to make it. It winds up this one is the AMT, so I had to buy another kit to fill in the missing parts. Luckily I found one cheap on ebay. It never occurred to me that this wasn't 1/24 scale, but once I opened the Monogram kit it was quite evident. :wacko:

Ahh. I 've had a similar idea for quite some time, but never took on a project to realize it. This will be a build to follow. It looks like it is coming along very well so far. Love the wheel choice too.

I cut the door panels out of the interior and mounted the kick panels and rear panels. I also started on the filler pieces for the sides of the dash.

P3030469Medium_zpsc94c9de3.jpg

P3040471Medium_zps1c3ed944.jpg

I'm also toying with the idea of using some of the stock parts and making a bulkhead behind the seats. I'll have to wait till the replacement kit shows up to see if I like the idea, my bag kit is missing the seats.

P3040470Medium_zps2ac489e0.jpg