Model Cars Magazine Forum

'79 Pontiac Trans Am Sportwagon

Drake69

I have a Duster project on hold for proper wheels and tires, so I thought I would delve into this kit for now. It's the Lindberg kit and is completely snap-tite, just like the USAirfix model. Here are some pix...

Sport01.jpg

Sport02.jpg

Interesting thing. I looked closely at the body and then grabbed an old Revell Firebird 3-in-1 I had lying around...

Sport03.jpg

The body is pretty much identical to the Revell kit with only a few changes. Too bad I didn't have the rest of the Firebird kit, otherwise I could have built this up as a full engine model (the engine bay needs to be completely cut out, but the chassis supposedly would mate right up...).

I also have a set of leftover decals from my last Revell Trans Am build...

Sport04.jpg

Yes, they are for the earlier model T/A, but since this is a phantom kit I think I can get away with it unless someone has spare gold '79 decals they can throw in (I know Keith Marks probably does, but I'm running low on funds at this time. I may put the entire project on hold until I pick up those decals anyway, haven't decided yet...).

Right now I'm spraying the entire body in Tamiya Gold so that I can lay stripes and trim in certain areas of the car, and will follow that up with Tamiya Gloss Black for the "Blackbird" look. Interior will either be tan or semi-gloss black (if I can find any more SGB, Tamiya is relabeling its entire lineup of paints and black is getting scarce...), and the chassis and engine bay will be given extra detail to make them both stand out.

Edited by Drake69

Dude, This is not a phantom! Pontiac made 2 of these as concept cars. I saw one at the 1977 Chicago Auto Show. Pontiac Type K Sportwagon is what it was called. I have a built model in the under glass section on this site. You got a goo eye, the airfix kit and the monogram kit can be combined to make a full detail kit. I have the article from SAE March 1981 issue where they gave the history and a how to to build combine those 2 kits scanned and saved in my computer. If you want the instructions on where to cut what, I can send it to you.

Steve

Dude, This is not a phantom! Pontiac made 2 of these as concept cars. I saw one at the 1977 Chicago Auto Show. Pontiac Type K Sportwagon is what it was called. I have a built model in the under glass section on this site. You got a goo eye, the airfix kit and the monogram kit can be combined to make a full detail kit. I have the article from SAE March 1981 issue where they gave the history and a how to to build combine those 2 kits scanned and saved in my computer. If you want the instructions on where to cut what, I can send it to you.

Steve

I must've gotten my lingo mixed up. I didn't think they actually built a Blackbird or Trans Am version of the sportwagon. I thought it was only considered a Firebird. I knew they had made 2 concept versions of the Firebird in red and silver though. I DO want those instructions, though I'm too far along in this build to use them yet. If I can get my hands on another Revell kit and a USAirfix/Lindberg kit, I'll give it a shot. PMed you.

Back to the build, with a few more pix, stripes and trim laid down...

Sportwagon05.jpg

Sportwagon06.jpg

And four more after the Gloss Black...

Sportwagon07.jpg

Sportwagon08.jpg

Sportwagon09.jpg

Sportwagon10.jpg

I'll be peeling off the masking tape tomorrow to see how successful I am with the trim and stripes and whether or not I'll need to touch them up.

You should be peeling masking tape very shortly after painting. As soon as the paint starts to tack up. If you wait until it cures, you're not going to be happy with the results.

I must have gotten lucky this time. Will have to remember that....

Sportwagon11.jpg

Sportwagon12.jpg

Sportwagon13.jpg

Sportwagon14.jpg

Sportwagon15.jpg

Sportwagon16.jpg

The only areas where I will need to clean up will be the nose and badge at the front, but all the other striping laid down perfectly. I did use Tamiya masking tape for the edge trim and stripes, which is different from the regular yellow masking tape on the nosecone, so I'm sure now that has something to do with it. Otherwise it looks pretty good.

I must've gotten my lingo mixed up. I didn't think they actually built a Blackbird or Trans Am version of the sportwagon. I thought it was only considered a Firebird. I knew they had made 2 concept versions of the Firebird in red and silver though.

Actually, if I remember correctly, the Sportwagon is considered a Trans Am, not a Firebird. The shaker hood and side fender vents as well as the wheel flares in front of each wheels are Trans Am exclusive pieces not found on Firebirds. The wheel flares are the only exception to that rule, I do believe Firebird Formula models did get the flares but nothing else. The reason most every model, regardless of Trans Am or Firebird, says "Firebird" on the box is due to licensing of the "Trans Am" name from the Trans Am sports car racing series. The only model company ever to actually pay for the right to use the Trans Am name in kits was Revell/Monogram, which they have since dropped as well. That is why early kits like the Monogram "Warbird" issue of the 78 Trans Am like the body you have in your first post have the proper "Trans Am" logos, but later issues like the early 2000s issue called the "Badbird" and the upcoming fall reissue of the 78 do not have the "Trans Am" name on the box or decal sheet and are listed as "78 Firebird" kits.

Allen,if you're not too far into this project,I'm 99% sure that I have an old Monogram '78 T/A in the junk pile that could donate a chassis if you're interested in it. I'll check and let you you know. Cool project BTW.

Allen,if you're not too far into this project,I'm 99% sure that I have an old Monogram '78 T/A in the junk pile that could donate a chassis if you're interested in it. I'll check and let you you know. Cool project BTW.

I appreciate it, but I wouldn't know where to start cutting inside that engine bay, much less how many times I could ruin the paint I have down. I'll just have to get another one and a Revell kit and do this again. :lol:

Thanks!

Cool! I'm looking forward to seeing the progress you make on this!

I'm doing a '77 style Blackbird T/A wagon. I thought it would be kinda cool to do a Bandit family wagon!:)

Nice. I wanna see Keith Marks decals and lots of gold trim on it. A Bandit conversion to be proud of.

Ok, last pix of the night. I have finished laying paint to the top of the hood and will only need to touch up the very tip...

Sportwagon18.jpg

Sportwagon19.jpg

Sportwagon20.jpg

Rear of the car popped in for looks (leaving the entire back gold really sets it off!)...

Sportwagon21.jpg

Sportwagon22.jpg

And a shot of the car with the "screaming chicken" I have to put on it. Sweet......

Sportwagon23.jpg

Wow, nice job so far. I have one of these still in the box and never thought of combining it with the R/M kit. I didn't know they made a Camaro version, I would trade mine for the Camaro,if anyone is interested ?.....Steve Zimmerman

Man I really wish I had the Camaro wagon for you, because the Trans Am version is my all time "Holy Grail" kit!

Wow, nice job so far. I have one of these still in the box and never thought of combining it with the R/M kit. I didn't know they made a Camaro version, I would trade mine for the Camaro,if anyone is interested ?.....Steve Zimmerman

Thanks for all the comments!

I'd love a Camaro version as well, but I don't think I've seen one for sale on eBay yet. Will have to keep my eyes open for it.

Okay, after some rummaging in the parts bin I found a few pieces to help detail the interior more. No pix yet, but she's coming along nicely. :)

More pix...

Sportwagon24.jpg

Sportwagon25.jpg

Sportwagon26.jpg

Sportwagon27.jpg

Sportwagon28.jpg

Sportwagon29.jpg

Sportwagon30.jpg

Gold trim completed, car has been dipped in Future and decals are on. Hood had to be redipped to seal in the Firebird, but is drying now. Car is assembled and is waiting on the hood before final pix are taken.

Nice work on the Bird. There is a show on Speed TV about trucks. I don't remember the name, but they featured a tribute truck to Smokey and the Bandit and a sick Year One Firebird Check it out. You might find it interesting.

Thanks, will do!

Alright, the Bird has flown the coop! Finished pics are in the "Under Glass" section.