Model Cars Magazine Forum

Still can't get the window trim right!

Hey everyone,

I'm almost done with my first build - a Tamiya Eunos Roadster, and the part that keeps tripping me up is the black window trim around the windshield and rear window. I actually messed up on the windshield so I ordered another parts tree from Tamiya and don't want to make the same mistake again with the trim.

I tried masking off the windshield and then brushing the paint on but the paint seeped under the tape. Also my masking job wasn't very good so the trim was kind of shaky. I also scratched the plastic pretty badly trying to make the masks.

Can I use a Sharpie next time to make the trim? Or any other way to make decent looking edge trim?

Thanks!

I've done only a couple of cars that had black chrome trim, so I don't have much experience on that. Anyway I used a black marker pen (I can't remember what was the manufacturer) and it worked fine.

I tried to find a good picture, but couldn't make it. I will go and take one on the result later today.

I've done only a couple of cars that had black chrome trim, so I don't have much experience on that. Anyway I used a black marker pen (I can't remember what was the manufacturer) and it worked fine.

I tried to find a good picture, but couldn't make it. I will go and take one on the result later today.

Dragfreak (Jason Brunelle) recommends a Sharpie for black window trim. It works for either representing a rubber gasket, or blacked-out metal trim. This is black applied to a molded gasket which is part of the clear windshield on the Revell Willys.

post-11129-0-28892500-1408254029_thumb.j

Thank you so much! It's much easier to control a Sharpie or other kind of felt tip pen than the paint brush. I will pick up a few today and try them out!

Is there any way to make a mask to get results that clean in that picture?

If you use a sharpie you do not need to mask. Wherever you go over the edge can be scraped off with a toothpick and will not scratch the glass. If you need to clean up allot alcohol remove the ink without hurting the window glass.

Edited by 935k3