Model Cars Magazine Forum

I saw a couple of RM Kustoms builds on here and liked the look of them so i got myself The Gambler kit, I used it to build this as part of the NFL community build. The decals are my first effort at making my own and i'm reasonably happy with them all things considered.

Any feedback be it positive or negative is appreciated, thanks for looking.

IMGP1232.jpgIMGP1231.jpgIMGP1229.jpgIMGP1228.jpgIMGP1227.jpgIMGP1226.jpgIMGP1225.jpgIMGP1224-1.jpg

It looks a bit "toy-like" without any wiring or control cables, etc... and the chrome-plated chain needs to be toned down with some appropriately-colored metalizer paint and a black wash to emphasize the chain links. Also... you might want to check the angle of the headlight. No sense lighting up the sky at night... ;)

thanks Harry, i didn't even consider the headlight angle or the chain, I built it as per the instructions as i have no idea about bikes in general. what materials should i look for to use in terms of wiring and cables ? I have not tried engine wiring on cars yet either so i'd be gratefull for any suggestions as i plan to do that soon.

thanks Harry, i didn't even consider the headlight angle or the chain, I built it as per the instructions as i have no idea about bikes in general. what materials should i look for to use in terms of wiring and cables ? I have not tried engine wiring on cars yet either so i'd be gratefull for any suggestions as i plan to do that soon.

I think you just need to add the cables that are obviously missing... clutch cable, brake cable, throttle cable. You know, the ones that run along the handlebars and are very visible. Those alone will go a long way toward making the model look more realistic. You can wire the engine (spark plug wires) and run oil lines, too, but those aren't as visible or obvious. As far as where to get the material... usually the best thing to use for motorcycle cables is hollow vinyl tubing, because it bends and forms realistic, smooth curves. The bikes I build are 1/9 scale, and that tubing is included in the kit.

bobber2.jpg

Not sure where you would find it otherwise, though... maybe if you found some insulated wire and pulled out the wire inside, leaving just the vinyl insulation? Old telephone wire, maybe?

I like your creative decalwork on this theme-bike. A bike can be built in many different ways, like any other model. Most important you must like it. I don´t like the RM choppers so much, because the basic is a bit toy like. But I saw finished bikes from these kits, that looks like the real thing. But to get such perfect results its a lot of work to do.

There are a few bikes in real, that have hidden cables, but they have an overall very clean and technical look, with cnc parts and no chrome. To the Bengal I would add some cables. You will find some different sizes at the railroad hobby shop. And don´t forget to study the oil lines on an original bike. Also the tires can be sanded where they meet the road to take away the gloss. The brake discs can be put in a dremel tool and sanded and/or paint while turning.

I hope we will see more bikes from you.

I think you just need to add the cables that are obviously missing... clutch cable, brake cable, throttle cable. You know, the ones that run along the handlebars and are very visible. Those alone will go a long way toward making the model look more realistic. You can wire the engine (spark plug wires) and run oil lines, too, but those aren't as visible or obvious. As far as where to get the material... usually the best thing to use for motorcycle cables is hollow vinyl tubing, because it bends and forms realistic, smooth curves. The bikes I build are 1/9 scale, and that tubing is included in the kit.

bobber2.jpg

Not sure where you would find it otherwise, though... maybe if you found some insulated wire and pulled out the wire inside, leaving just the vinyl insulation? Old telephone wire, maybe?

That is one very cool looking Bobber. Very well done !

Many thanks for all the comments and feedback, I will certainly get myself some material for wiring as i have another two RM kustoms to build, I love the kits and hopefully the next ones will be an improvement.

sportandmiah - The first game i ever watched as a kid was the bengals vs niners superbowl so i just picked a team without knowing anything about American Football, about 5 years ago i got into it in a big way and I just stuck with them, all my mates over here just choose the patriots or cowboys and i didn't fancy the whole glory fan thing. Now i am doomed to the sufferings of a bengals fan !

Harry - thanks for all your help, that bobber of yours is an absolute beauty !

bbsbase - thanks for the tips and help, you will certainly see more bikes from me as i enjoyed doing this one so much.

Edited by phil-east

• 4 weeks later...