Model Cars Magazine Forum

1946 Graham Paige sportsman coupe concept

kennb

About 3 months ago I got an e-mail from someone that saw me on FB. He mentioned that he had some information that I might like. Guess it is getting around that I like one old cars. The name did not ring and immediate bells so I read on and followed up with an email. His grandfather was a designer for Grahm-Paige /Humpmobile/Cord-Auburn. Huh?????yes they are all related and their designs in the 40's
could all be called generic across lines designs. I did not understand this until i started doing more research on the net and looking at the
products from all those companies. These where all cars that were far ahead of their time in design and construction and where, by my
thoughts, some of the most interesting and beautiful cars made during that time period. Not opposed to going out on a limb and pushing
the envelope of art deco design. If you have any interest just do some image searches for that time period. The Grahm-Paige with its
shark nose design the looked just plain mean and tough, don't mess with me attitude. Then the Hollywood convertible which could be classed as a sports car produced in the US before the Corvette or T-Bird.

But I have gone off the track of this post. The e-mail was from Hamilton Paige, grandson of the Paige from the car maker. He had a few sketches he thought I might be able to transfer to a scale model of a car that Grahm-Paige had in the fire before the war but never was able to transfer to a prototype. I looked at the sketches he had and was amazed at what I saw. Long,low, fluid in design with all the meanness and bulk of the shark nose sedans. This was no ordinary sedan though, It was more European in design. The lights neatly concealed in the bodywork,,,,no running boards or any hint of them. The overall design was smooth, slick,and looked like it was moving standing still. Chrome was dripping off the front grill work and side moldings tied the entire seamless body into one coherent bulbous form the spoke only one word. SPEED. the entire body was one piece and was to be aluminum, far from the norm of the day. There were other notes that Hamilton passed on to me about the mechanics. Under the long smooth hood a V-16 dbl overhead valve engine driven by 8 carbs and a blower like used on the Cord, this was to be linked to the then experimental 6 gear box and,,,,, a two speed end. The rear end provides for an addition six gears for what reason I have no clue. He projected the top speed to be approaching 180 MPH.

Hamilton and I have exchanged dozens of e-mails in the past few months and with his help I have something that is getting close to the designs on the page from his first e-mail. He keeps making adjustments here and there like he has the car sitting in front of him,,,,,,I have a model started for this car and a few photos are below.
This is a new master.

10349872_872781122751731_916355124022265

10553536_872784689418041_833989605304085

10565101_872781029418407_897535292834123

this is rigid building insulation foam block 10% undersized........then covered with auto body filler (Bondo) and sanded to the final shape, The will be molded and slush cast (thin coating of resin on the inside of the mold,,shy of 1/8") then a chassis will be built up along with the interior and V-16 engine.

sample photos :

DSCN0223_zpsd3da46b5.jpg

DSCN0234_zps6fcdc45a.jpg

001TESTc_zps99f874d1.jpg

that is the cool thing about the bondo...It does not affect the rigid foam,,,there is a spot putty i use for fine tuning the divots,that does melt the foam,,,,,,Yes it does have suicide doors,,,the latch will be added after casting.

Looks awesome. What scale is this? If it's 1/12, would the 1/12 Monogram Cord 812 provide useable donor parts? If so, I'd be in for a body.

EDIT: I see you mentioned that's it's just under 1/8, so I assume you have no intention of marketing the body since there would be no donor kit.

Edited by sjordan2

this is 16th scale,,,,,,,i will be making the chassis and interior to go with it so no donor car is needed,,,,,,,there will also eventually be the V-16 to go with it......technical information.......7 3/4 " wheelbase,,,4 3/4" tread,,12" long. 4 passenger coupe it will be resin cast shortly.

that is an impressive rendition of what I would consider a mid to late 30's "dream machine", even though it's listed as a '46 design, it has many styling cues seen in the 30's.

I'd guess Mr. Paige had been working on this when things got stupid in Europe and Asia and it got put on hold till after the war, by then GI's were returning from the war with money in their pockets and wanting to live a little.

that is an impressive rendition of what I would consider a mid to late 30's "dream machine", even though it's listed as a '46 design, it has many styling cues seen in the 30's.

I'd guess Mr. Paige had been working on this when things got stupid in Europe and Asia and it got put on hold till after the war, by then GI's were returning from the war with money in their pockets and wanting to live a little.

that is exactly the scenario......

Extremely impressive.

Guys like you are wizards...I am proud of myself for completing a vintage box stock kit, and not having a pile of parts left over.

thank you........i have tried kits and I admire the people who can get through them,,,,,,,