Model Cars Magazine Forum

Building season is back! 1904 De Dion Bouton

Harry P.

The kit's horn tube was too short... it would leave the horn bulb hanging in space. So I had to replace it with one I made by bending brass rod to shape. Bending a part like that is mostly trial and error... there's really no way to "lay it out" beforehand. You just have to eyeball it, bend it where you thing it should be bent, test fit it, rebend, test fit it, rebend... etc. I also had to scratchbuild the mounting bracket, using thin sheet aluminum, cut to size, drilled, and bent.

DD32_zps750e279f.jpg

Here you can see the hood latches installed:

DD33_zps62c03932.jpg

The kit also had no hood hinge, but the hinge is very visible on the real car. I scratchbuilt it (it doesn't work, it's just for show... the hood is glued shut). The hinge barrel is a length of solder that I scribed the individual segments on by rolling the solder under my X-acto blade. The "leaf" of the hinge is made of cardstock, and the bolt heads are tiny blobs of 5-minute epoxy. The hinge was sprayed Rustoleum Metallic Brass when finished, then given a Future/acrylic black wash, and "glued" in place with Future:

DD34_zps27da0ace.jpg

The trunk kit came today–one day earlier than it was supposed to. Woo Hoo!!! :D

Here it is:

DD35_zps6175a2ce.jpg

It looks like a very nice kit. Included are all the pre-cut wood parts for the trunk walls and the various straps and crosspieces, paper sheets with printed patterns on it for the outside of the trunk, also printed paper for the inside... material for the straps and handles, and a bunch of beautiful photoetched hardware, plus instruction booklet:

DD36_zps7357b284.jpg

The PE hardware is really nicely done:

DD37_zps38704afc.jpg

The only problem is that this kit is 1/12 scale and my model is 1/16... so the trunk is too big. Not a big deal, though. Since it's a kit and not a preassembled trunk, I can easily cut down all the pieces and make mine slightly smaller all around, to fit the back of the De Dion perfectly.