Model Cars Magazine Forum

Etzel's Speed Classics?

Is Etzel's Speed Classics still in production? I'm trying to find a set of their sixties style dirt front & rear tires to use on an Edmunds Super Modified. Thanks for all the answers I know I'll get. Del

Chris Etzel (for many years a pretty close personal friend) closed up shop in the summer of 2002. As for his dirt track tires (Speedway tires too) Those are from the era about 10yrs earlier than the Edmumds CRA Supermodified (a sprint car with mere vestiges of a roof around it's early roll cage), and are far narrower and taller than the tires used on dirt by 1967-68 (Don Edmunds completed that car in late 1967, it was on the cover of Hot Rod Magazine in late spring 1968, almost simultaneous with the release of the Monogram kit). Etzels tires were made for his fantastic 1954 Kuzma dirt track AAA & USAC Championship car, as driven by the legendary Jimmy Bryan of Phoenix AZ on the Championship (Indy car) Trail in 1955-56 (second at Indianapolis on May 30, 1955) and are sized as follows: 8:00-18 rear, 7:00-16 front (the only wheels these fit are the excellent Halibrand Championship Mags, which Chris also mastered and cast), where by 1968, dirt track Champ and sprint cars were using 15" rims all around, 9:50-15 rear, 8:00-15 front (the once legendary Firestone or Goodyear "Wide Oval" style tires). Unfortunately, Monogram chose to not tool up correct dirt track racing tires for their Edmunds Supermodified, but rather, they packed the same tire set in that kit as in their Li'l Coffin show car, whitewall drag slicks out back, ordinary but generic street tires up front.

Art