Model Cars Magazine Forum

A few uses for the Revell Sidewinder kit.

Chuck Most

In the new issue of MCM, Mike Lomaka showed off a sketch of a Sidewinder modified to resemble a second-gen Effie. He pointed out some similarities in the front end between the 1996-vintage Dodge concept truck and the production Ford. Guess I'd never noticed or thought about it, but he is right. That particular sketch is now on my workbench. :D

01370006933_643916_590877869_n-vi.jpg

That got me thinking- that high hood and low fenders that blend into the doors look was pretty much standard for many years on trucks. Early Dodge trucks had that trait, as did IH trucks from '57 to '68. So... that gave me a couple ideas...

1370006933_649526_2104174927_n-vi.jpg

First up is the Dodge- I restyled the nose to resemble a '55 model, and added a tuck and roll interior with a bench seat. Why not make the hood a butterfly unit, like on the original '55? I also left on a wispy, 'blade' front bumper, just because its a bit more distinctive than the rolled front pan you'd probably expect to see on such a vehicle. The V10 emblem hints at the show truck's engine being retained, but an early Hemi with EFI disguised as a Hilborn setup would be cooler still. Rob some wheels from an AMT Phantom Vicky and lay it out and you've got a high-end street rod pickup.

And being a lifelong IH truck freak, I HAD to try out this one...1370006933_649527_2017445725_n-vi.jpg

This is based on a '66, and has the familiar, almost VW-esque W in the hood, as well as the air vent at the front of the hood and underneath the grille. This one has big diameter steelies and wide whites, and a more simplified, workmanlike interior, befitting a Binder. For power, a rebuilt Scout 345 would be a pretty cool and offbeat mill to use.

So, now it looks like I'm cooking up two Sidewinder do-overs... Mike's Ford, and my own International.

• 1 month later...