Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '87 Olds Cutlass

gasman

I just noticed on the Tower Hobbies website that the Revell 87 Cutlass has been listed as discontinued. but it looked like it was already tooled up from the shots from one of the hobby shows. why would they spend the $$$ to tool something then never release it. I hope that it gets released. its one I was really looking froward too

I think sometime Tower puts discontinued on items that are announced and then postponed. I've noticed that a few times with kits that are still coming out but delayed. Instead of pushing the date back they seem to put discontnued.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I got a flyer from revell about the 87 Cutlass and the 87 Regal that says they have already been released, but I can't find them in stores anywhere. I have contacted Revell numerous times about it and I have yet to get a response. If they do get released soon, I will be buying every one my lhs has.

I just recieved confirmation from revell on the cutty and regal............................................................both have been CANCELLED

There was definately no mention of them at I-Hobby Expo this year. Anybody know what the diplay models were made from last year?

Did revell ever offer them as a diecast? Here's a photo from last year to refresh your memory.

HPIM1040-vi.jpg

I'm not a big Donk fan but I sure believe Revell is missing the boat on this one by not doing at least the Cutlass in plastic.

-Steve

Edited by SteveG

There was definately no mention of them at I-Hobby Expo this year. Anybody know what the diplay models were made from last year?

Did revell ever offer them as a diecast? Here's a photo from last year to refresh your memory.

HPIM1040-vi.jpg

I'm not a big Donk fan but I sure believe Revell is missing the boat on this one by not doing at least the Cutlass in plastic.

-Steve

I've seen photos of both the Cutlass and Regal; but neither of them has ever been on the market in diecast or plastic. I would imagine there's already tooling out there, I would also imagine that Revell may have cancelled them but may have plans for further down the road. The "Donk" thing was probably geared towards Wal Mart; with Wal Mart out of the way Revell probably is thinking a bit clearer. I wouldn't count these out completely, but they probably need a good amount of work to make them a bit more realistic and also to have the most appropriate custom options for the long run, rather than hitching to the fad du jour. These could be very popular models if done the right way.

• 1 month later...

If it's already tooled up that far they probably will release it eventually; perhaps they feel they need to do more parts trees to make parts more appropriate for what modelers desire today. It was tooled as a lowrider and slated for donk, so maybe they want to make some more stock parts. I'll bet if will happen. And if someone enterprising buys/owns that test shot, they could pop a few in resin for guys that can't wait for styrene. Don't forget Revell's marketing has a habit of canceling models without regard to other variants in the work, such as what happened this year with the Black Widow that got a lot of people up in arms...turns out they just shifted focus on the kit and killed an SKU and started another one.

This will be a fairly popular model whenever it hits.

The response I got from Revell about the Cutlass and Regal were.......not delayed, not postponed, but CANCELLED altogether. They won't give any more information than that. My take is that they do not feel that there would be enough interest in these kits, when they KNOW that there would be. Since Revell sold out, they have stopped caring about the consumer. I would prefer a Revell kit over AMT any day, they're more detailed. But that's just my $0.02.

If it's already tooled up that far they probably will release it eventually; perhaps they feel they need to do more parts trees to make parts more appropriate for what modelers desire today. It was tooled as a lowrider and slated for donk, so maybe they want to make some more stock parts. I'll bet if will happen. And if someone enterprising buys/owns that test shot, they could pop a few in resin for guys that can't wait for styrene. Don't forget Revell's marketing has a habit of canceling models without regard to other variants in the work, such as what happened this year with the Black Widow that got a lot of people up in arms...turns out they just shifted focus on the kit and killed an SKU and started another one.

Bob is right on this one, no model manufacturer will invest $100,000 into producing the tooling and not release the kit.

My guess is they will continue to deny that it exists until a formal announcement is made on it's release.

-Steve

The response I got from Revell about the Cutlass and Regal were.......not delayed, not postponed, but CANCELLED altogether. They won't give any more information than that. My take is that they do not feel that there would be enough interest in these kits, when they KNOW that there would be. Since Revell sold out, they have stopped caring about the consumer. I would prefer a Revell kit over AMT any day, they're more detailed. But that's just my $0.02.

The mail or letter you got was most likely from their (consumer) sales dept. and as Bob explained, they only see an SKU which has been canceled, and basically is an order number for a product produced from tooling X, Y, Z, which itself has an internal project code.

I'm sure an new SKU will be issued whenever marketing feel they have the right product for the market.

Luc

The mail or letter you got was most likely from their (consumer) sales dept. and as Bob explained, they only see an SKU which has been canceled, and basically is an order number for a product produced from tooling X, Y, Z, which itself has an internal project code.

I'm sure an new SKU will be issued whenever marketing feel they have the right product for the market.

Luc

EXACTLY. You have to speak their language, which is numbers. They probably couldn't tell the difference between the 1/25 Chevy 150 "Black Widow" and the 1/48 P-61 Black Widow, but they do know the difference between kit #4240 and #7546.

• 1 month later...

i hope you are right....

87cutlass-vi-2.jpg

;)

Edited by rollinoldskoo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Is there a 1:25th die-cast Cutlass or Regal G-body that these test shots could've been based on, ala the Revell '68 Mustang and '70 Challenger R/T kits?

No...but both the Cutlass and Regal were announced as a diecast lowriders 2-3 years ago by Revell. Then canceled. Then announced last year as styrene Donks. Then canceled again.

I'm expecting they will announce them again sometime this year. And cancel again (to be consistent). :huh:

Edited by Rob Hall