Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '49 Merc

VW Dave

Thanks for the great review Dave. I picked up the AMT version which I thought was pretty well done with lots of options,but I have yet to see the Revell kit in the store yet. I'll be sure to pick one up because experience tells me that it will be an easier kit to build than the AMT one.

I am a custom car builder for many years, and the '49 Merc is one of my favorites. Ten years ago, I had the opinion that no model car builder worth his salt could call himself a modeler unless he chopped the top of an AMT '49 Merc, so I did, and it came out and placed in a regional model car contest. But there are inherent problems with AMT's body that takes the chopped top to a new dimension of difficulty. After I primed the body when I completed the top chop, I found that just handling the body with your hands caused the gap in the passenger side cut crack, as the body flexxed way too much. I put a ton of epoxy in the gap, and fortified the entire side so it wouldn't flex so much and crack at the joint. The model is OK now, but weighs as much as a die cast model. hahaha.

I never was a fan of manufacturers issuing an already customized car, such as the A La Kart and others since. I preferred to add my own style of design to an existing stock model to come up with my own version. That has changed in the recent past, so when Revell announced the '49 Merc already chopped, I was already sold.

When I was a teenager, I used to eagerly anticipate new AMT issues, and would ravage a new kit before I got it home. I am now 60, and hadn't done that in many many years. This time was different. Because I am used to being disappointed in new models being late, I was ready to purchase this model sometime in November. Then last Saturday, I was enjoying a very pleasant meal on the beach in Deerfield Beach, FL, when a close model car friend called me and started asking about what I thought about the new Revell Merc. I didn't know it was out. So, I tossed the meal in the can, and went to Wal Mart of all places. I was like a kid again.

Preparing for Christmas, my local Wal Mart completely relocated the toy department, and it took some looking and heavy anticipating to find the new location. Then I get there, and it was the same old tired AMT/Revell inventory and I got a little discouraged, then glanced way up on the top shelf and there they were!!! I looked at the box and picked up 3 of them. I almost couldn't wait until I got out to the car to open the box and check it out.

I wasn't disappointed, and already mocked up a model with some slight modifications to the taillights. I have more ideas for future models, which include a combo kitbash with an AMT '49 Merc, of which I have about 6 in stock. At the age of 60, I doubt if I will even come close to the inventory of Mercs, not to mention the others. So, my club is waiting for old Ken the "FloridaBoy" to meet the grim reaper to buy these kits from my future widow. hahaha.

After a mild glue mock-up of the new Merc, and building over 5 old AMT Mercs over the years, I thought I would provide a "mini-comparo". First, in my opinion, each kit is still great, with acceptable levels of proportion and details. However, even though they are of the same "horse", they are different as an apple and an orange. The AMT model does have some structural issues if you chop the top, but is a snap to section the body. The Revell model is already chopped, and even I, think the top is just a little too chopped. The latest AMT Merc has the new style wheels big rims and narrow tires, which to me are ugly on the Merc, while the Revell model has old type wide whites, reverse rims and custom caps. AMT's version has bucket seats, while the Revell has bench seats only.

Motors are different, but I prefer to power my Mercs with the stock engine with lots of upgrades, as the '49 Merc engine is generally accepted as the hottest flathead. But look at the leftover Ramcharger motor and the unnamed motor from the Revell model. Revell has the killer on skirts. I owe some of my growth to the '49 Merc, as I never built a car with skirts before it, and now have many planned with them in the future.

Overall, I give a 10 out of 10 to both kits, as each stands on their own merit. If you want to chop the top to the Merc, use the already chopped body. I will post some pictures of my primered model as soon as I take its picture.

I know I haven't earned my "creds" on this forum until I post some photos of my work in progress. I was a 3-time Pactra winner, IPMS regional winner, and for several years I was undefeated in model car contests. I am now struggling to keep up with you guys in both styling and detail, as all of the work I have seen in the mags and on this forum are out of this world. I hope soon my work will at least be able to rub shoulders with yours.

Pray for my successful photography. haha

Ken "FloridaBoy" Willaman

I think my humor was missed a few posts ago. I have 5 AMT 49 Merc's and I plan to build all of them plus how ever many Revell newbee's I can get. I have such great memories of this kit when I was a kit. I won my first ribbon in a model contest with a 49 Merc. It has a special place in my heart. My older brother owned a stock flat head 2 door ( I wish he still owned it) when I was 15. What a beautiful car it was, even in its tired pale green paint, it had class and always held it's head high, like it knew even then it was a pure classic. I will build all of these 49's, but the Revell version will be easier since it is pre chopped. Kind of like a "Cob salad". Anyway, Since I have been coming to this forum, I can completely agree with Marc's assessment as to the support we all try and provide each other. This is a hobby first. It should bring you pleasure. It is one of the places I go to to get away from the stress of making a living and running a business and dealing with it's problems. It helps to keep me centered. It is also a lot cheaper in the long run then going to the bar every night and drinking away problems. Don't misunderstand me, I am not ready for the anaylsis's couch but this hobby is a great place to go and relax. Look, I love it when I post a new build and hear nice comments, but the truth be told, I build them for myself. I like to try different and stimulating projects, but really, I just want to build something. I love to work out problems with each build, that is why I try and push myself everytime I begin a build. Enjoy your time here, and at the workbench. It could be intimidating to think your builds will not match up to some of the great builds posted here. I say, so what. If you enjoyed the build and did the best you could then that is all that really matters. From what I see, there is great support here....use it to your advantage.

The "un-named" engine in the new Revell kit is either a Caddy or an Oldsmobile. At the time those were the biggest motors available.

B)

I believe it is a Caddy. I wish it was an Olds, I have a project that could use a vintage J2 Olds engine.FWIW, I've started putting the engine in the Merc kit together and it looks good so far.

Thanx Dave!!

This is a kit that I wasn't super excited about, but after seeing what's in the box, I'm definitely gonna pick one up. Of course, I'll have to find a flathead to drop in it... ;)

WalMart??? Did you see if Mel has any? BTW, hit me OTB. I've mooooved....

Seldom is there as much anticipation as when a new model kit comes out, especially an icon, such as the chopped 49 Mercury. The 49 Mercury is as much a pantheon of the custom circle as the fabled Deuce is to hot rodding. This said, when you come out with something like this, you had best get it right. If you don't, you lose more ground than you gain. A good example of this is the new tool AMT Ala Kart of 2002. Conceptually, it was a winner, but coming at a change of guard for design and tooling, it could not have been a greater disaster. Grossly misshapen, out of proportion, with an under scale motor, the best thing this kit was good for was to drop the collector prices down on the original issue kits.

So where does the Revell 49 Merc stand in all of this? Let's open the unique 2 sided box, and have a look see.

Conceptually, it'€s off to a great start. You have a nicely proportioned chopped 49 Merc body, devoid of any chrome trim. The only bone I have to pick is the rather large holes in the rear quarter panels for the tail lights. This sits on a platform style floor pan and interior, with tuck n roll inserts on the seats, on a separate frame. So far, so good.

For power, we have a 50's era Cadillac engine, with three carbs, and chrome no name valve covers, likely to save on royalties. This is a great choice of power plants, and famed Barris Kustom collector Kurt McKormick, who owns a pretty famous chopped Merc of his own, will be happy to tell you so! Not to mention that the Hirohata Merc is Caddy powered, so maybe another version may be down the road?

This kit comes with a multitude of options, including two hoods, one louvered, one plain, and here is one of the few disappointments. For some reason, the front of the hood has a couple of large flat spots flanking the peaked nose area as if they didn'€™t fully round it off as they were grinding the tool, resulting an almost angular shape. One hood is worse then the other, but both exhibit this flaw. This is only minor though, as you can prime, and then sand this to shape.

The same cannot be said for the Cadillac "€œSombrero"€ wheel covers. They lack the graceful curves of the real ones, and for sticklers, would best be supplanted by after market resin. This is a shame, because a kit with this many cool extra custom parts would be worth its price for these alone. Speaking of extra custom parts, lets go down the list.

For starters, you get the aforementioned pair of hoods, the Caddy Sombreros that go with a set of no name wide white wall tires with inserts, plus a set of larger chrome reversed rims that fit some generic black wall radials. (I would be happier if they interchanged with the Sombreros, but I digress…)

You also get a beautiful set of stock bumpers that have been relieved of the bumper guards, and a set if ribbed Brizio "Desoto" style bumpers.

In back, you get a choice of 49 Lincoln Tail lights with blue dot decals, or a pair of frenched 59 Cadillac bullets.

In front is where things really get cool, as you get a choice of not one, not two, but THREE grilles! You get a smoothed stock Mercury grille, a 54 Pontiac Grille, and a really nice 53 Desoto grille that will allow you to duplicate the Wally Welch Merc, or any number of others. The guys at Revell really scored a home run with these grill selections, as they cover just about every classic style. This kit is worth it for these alone.

To finish this kit off, there is a large decal sheet, with flames, and several different colors of "Von Dutch"€ style pinstriping for the hood and deck, plus the aforementioned blue dots (two sets!), and decals for the trophy stand (complete with miniature Mercury on top).

When you consider that Revell has recently gone through it’s own changing of the guard, This kit has not fared nearly as badly as the if fated Ala Kart kit. Still you must wonder how things would have been, if the guys who cut the tool were as big of car guys as the guys who conceptuallized this kit.

It isn'€™t perfect (few kits are), but it sure will make a lot of people happy, including me. If they would fix those wheel covers, and hood shape, and flash over those large tail light holes, they would have the perfect kit, but even as is, this is a "€Must Have" kit for any old school model builder, as you can not only build a really nice chopped Merc, but just like in the old days, you get a TON of the coolest extra parts you could ask for. I bought two!

Edited by Dave Darby

I picked up a couple on Saturday, and I'm very impressed, too. he body looks very well proportioned, and the parting lines look to be easily dealt with.

Lots of nice parts in the kit, and I'm sure plenty of parts from these kits will migrate to other cutoms. I LOVE the DeDoto grille and the beehive oil filter.

The only negatives to the kit in my opinion are the engine and taillights, and they're neither one a big deal to me. I don't like the Lincoln taillights flush mounted. They could eaily be frenched, and would look nice. Then, there's all of the custom possibilities (I'm leaning toward frenched 59 Caddy bullets.) The engine is OK, but it looks a little too much like a small block Chevy to me. Still, engine swaps are easy. For some reason I keep seeing it with a 66 Riviera nailhead in it. Maybe a hemi from the '57 300C kit.

Right now, I want to build both of them, and build an AMT merc, too. I have to discipline myself to get a current project or two done first.

This is an excellent kit. Very much worth the wait, and the hassle of finding one. If you have any interest in custom Merc at all, I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Preparing for Christmas, my local Wal Mart completely relocated the toy department, and it took some looking and heavy anticipating to find the new location. Then I get there, and it was the same old tired AMT/Revell inventory and I got a little discouraged, then glanced way up on the top shelf and there they were!!! I looked at the box and picked up 3 of them. I almost couldn't wait until I got out to the car to open the box and check it out.

Ken "FloridaBoy" Willaman

Remarkable, my Wallyworld story is almost exactly the same. And I'm in California! I found my three on the top shelf of another aisle as I was ready to walk out. High enough that I had to send a cute girl up to grab three of the four up there.

Thanks for the review.

If anyone wants to dispose or trade a couple of AMT '49 Mercs, I have a couple of resin bodies here that can use them. Revell releasing their new Merc sure will impact the sale of existing AMT offerings as well as the resin body market. They are just too clean and complete to pass up.

I have one open here at work, have cleaned up about 90% of the parts already. The engine is definitely a Caddy. Telltale details are the intake manifold and exhaust manifolds. Probably is either a 331 or 365.

Bob

The engine is definitely a Caddy. Telltale details are the intake manifold and exhaust manifolds. Probably is either a 331 or 365.

I compared the Merc's engine to the engine in the Monogram '59 Cadillac the other day and they are the same mold. The Merc's valve covers are chromed versions of the Deville's with the "Cadillac" block lettering removed (licensing issues?). Oddly enough, the valley cover and intake are slightly narrower on one of the engines (can't remember which). So does that make it a 390ci? If you've got a '59 Deville in your stash, the branded valve covers will drop right on your Merc mill.

Hey grey beards...I assume a heavy car like a leaded Merc would require ample torque to move it along. So a late-50s small block Chevy wouldn't be a good choice? What about a Y-block? Studebaker? Just thinkin'...

-Matt