Model Cars Magazine Forum

Just because we can:Car to truck conversion.

Austin T

I've been working on a Buick "Grand Camino" (a Buick grand national front clip mated to a chevy el camino). Does that count?

Along these same lines, Pontiac made a couple of LeMans/El Camino prototypes around 1980 that looked great! At least one of them still exists in the G.M. Museum in Detroit.

I've had this one collecting dust for a couple of years .

k001-vi.jpg

It's the old 1989 AMT Ecto 1a kit, with a widened El Camino roof. The interior tub is the Ecto part cut down just behind the seat, and I'm leaving it a cubside. I'd originaly planned to use it as a hauler for a Revell Midget. The Midget will fit in the cargo bed, but I overlooked the one minor little detail of the Midget being too wide to fit through the tailgate. :P

Looks cool Chuck,I was at a show and some one had a R&M streamline go cart on a revell midget trailer.The only problem was that there would be no way that the cart could go up the ramps because they were to far apart!It was a little detail that I thought was kinda funny.

I will start the build as soon as my charger comes in through the mail,I will also update the list soon.

Edited by Austin T

OK,went at it full throttle today.Once the styrene dust and bondo particles settled I had a basic 68 dodge charger/pickup.I also got the new issue of MCM in the mail toady and Mr.Tim Boyd beat me to it by about 30 years and made a charger pick-up.I will still carry on though!No pic's cause camera is lost some wheres.

I love this idea. I've got several ideas I've been brewing for some time along these lines. One is a 46-48 ford conversion using the sedan body w a truck bed but not really an el camino so would that qualify? The other I've been dying to build was a Krass & Bernie creation made from a dodge Daytona. I'll see if I can squeeze it in. Keep up the good work guys.

Edited by jcbigpaw

• 4 weeks later...

That Buick conversion looks SWEET! Just the way GM would have done it if they had the guts to try to sell something like that. They did a couple of prototypes based on mating an El Camino with a Pontiac LeMans front clip, and this works just as well to me.

(Hmmm... I just came into an 80's El Camino glue bomb, and I have a Monte Carlo that could offer up it's higher-line-than-Malibu front clip... I wonder... :huh:)

• 1 month later...

Actually did some more work on the Cadillac!

73_402705573118439_897724186_n-vi.jpg

20_402705666451763_301100048_n-vi.jpg

I lowered it and used the big-diameter Americans from a Revell '65 Chevy C10. I also added some polished aluminum exhaust tips, cut from 5/32" K&S tubing. And yes, I decided to take the easy way out and run a bed cover, rather than make up a floor and walls for an open bed. I'd like for this thing to have at least some fighting chance of getting done one day!

Isn't that a beauty? I think that Pontiac could have sold a boatload of them, but since so many Pontiac dealers were dualed with GMC, I don't think they would have wanted it to compete with the Caballero. I worked in the body shop of a Pontiac/GMC agency in 1979 and installed Trans Am "Hood Birds" and Trans Am Special Edition-style pinstriping on several Caballeros.

I really want to have a bed in mine so I can put cargo and/or a minibike in it.Any suggestions?

I'd suggest finding a kit with a separate bed and inner walls, then trimming as needed to fit the Charger body.

Jairus also did a rendering of a custom Pontiac-camino like the one shown (I think), and if I recall Pontiac built a car/truck prototype in 1959.