Model Cars Magazine Forum

Plastic A.D.D. strikes again... The tale of 2 Model A's

JTalmage

So, I can't seem to finish one thing before getting burned out, but yet I can't not touch a kit so I decided I wanted to mess with an old monogram kit. I had won a salt flat 30 model a resin body off ebay which spurred this. I wanted to chop one of these badly... so I did. My intent was to make this a channeled hot rod... but I think I like it better w/ the fenders!

This was my first real roof chop on a model car. Got pretty hairy at first but cleaned up nice.

20150501_223456_zpskpoperqt.jpg

20150501_224450_zpslbspqs0g.jpg

After the roof came off I had one of those "oh, what have I done!" moments...

20150501_230726_zpsxmbzjagr.jpg

But after about an hour of sanding and filing it turned out really great!

20150501_235256_zpsncvedy2t.jpg

So I mocked up up w/ the fenders and the chopped body... and as much of a channeled fenderless fan that I am.... I cannot get over how awesome this looks...

20150502_000720_zpspzxqrgdh.jpg

Wheels are from ThePartsBox.com and is the front Drop axle. However the axle wasnt sitting in its proper place. If I did that the front would sit up even more. I want it to sit EXACTLY like it does in the above picture. In the weeds, tires almost rubbing the fenders. I think that is a hot look... Just gotta figure out how to make it all come together.

I think I'll substitute the 4 banger for a Flathead V8.

One thing I didnt take pictures of... I also flipped the trunk hinges to open to the front instead of for a rumble seat. So I can put the fuel tank/battery/etc back there.

Edited by JTalmage

That would be cool especially if you raked the chassis too. Real mean looking wedge.

no color plans yet. I just mostly pulled it out of the box to chop it and come up w/ a plan. It needs to go back in the box so I can *finish* stuff.

And no, no progress for muscle truck yet. I got some resin parts for it that will help further it along but it is still in that "I took it out of the box to plan and tinker, then it went back in the box to finish something else" stage. LOL

With the hours I've been working, and the work I've GOT to get done on my real cars... I just havent been able to get dedicated lately. most of what I do comes from late Fridays/early Saturdays with a beer at my side and netflix on.

Because my plastic a.d.d. knows no bounds... I couldnt help but start messing w/ the salt flat roadster. I wanted to use the original monogram '30 frame... but it just didnt look right at all under it. I also couldnt get the car to sit down like I wanted it as well.

So, I dug up a Revell 32 frame from some parts I got in on trade and cut out the front crossmember and rear section of the 32 frame and replaced the front crossmember of the 30 after I flipped it, and the rear crossmember as well. I originally wanted to channel the body over the frame but couldnt figure out the suspension for that... but after I sat it on the 32 frame I loved the look.

20150509_000856_zpsfwdmk7pj.jpg

20150509_000950_zpscwsmdgv6.jpg

20150509_000934_zpsu4jfuidh.jpg

So then I wanted to fill in the rear fenders so they werent open, and I tried to recreate the inner fenders that you see on traditional rods.

20150510_201153_zpsewvwjark.jpg

20150510_201202_zpseizge6u1.jpg

20150510_201707_zpsakf80di1.jpg

20150510_205750_zpslyjcilmc.jpg

20150510_211927_zpsbawxqilv.jpg

20150510_212931_zpsl9fevxzg.jpg

20150510_212944_zpsb5oyzwwx.jpg

Built my first set of paperclip hinges last night. What a pain. I love how they turned out but wow they took some time to get decent.

20150511_214446_zpspmorvczl.jpg

20150511_215342_zpsqfay6zth.jpg

Also... uhh.... I accidentally glued it all together already... whoops. Painting it should be fun!

So I saw someone make leaf springs from pop cans before.... and since I cant get the rear of the green coupe down low enough for my liking I thought I'd give it a try.

Initial thoughts on that... I find it really hard to cut the strips of aluminum in the same length and width... So my leaf springs arent perfect by any means. And a touch too wide. But I think they'll work. Any tips on this would be appreciated.

20150512_203906_zps9nf3rwsg.jpg

Once I glue it to the axle and put the weight of the model on it, it should sit where I want it. I just couldnt bring myself to not put some sort of spring back there.