Model Cars Magazine Forum

Show off your weathered ......... mistakes.

Jantrix

Well... pretty much all the weathered models I build are 'mistakes' in some way or another. I don't have one specific set of techniques I use every time on every weathered model. That's one of the reasons I'll likely never do that tutorial everybody keeps asking me about. :lol: For me, it's a constant experiment, and I never really keep a close enough eye on all the variables. A lot of it depends on what degree of degradation I want to replicate as well.

Well... pretty much all the weathered models I build are 'mistakes' in some way or another. I don't have one specific set of techniques I use every time on every weathered model. That's one of the reasons I'll likely never do that tutorial everybody keeps asking me about. :lol: For me, it's a constant experiment, and I never really keep a close enough eye on all the variables. A lot of it depends on what degree of degradation I want to replicate as well.

and half the battle is knowing when enough is enough. It's so easy to overdo weathering and rust.

What I hate is the simpleton theory that you can take any old glue bomb a kid built, smear rust and mud colored paint all over it (including the seats etc) and sell it on eBay as an expertly weathered model! I call those "Shake n Bake" cars, since they literally look like you put them in a bag of muck and shook it up. Those are the ones that give our art a bad name!

and half the battle is knowing when enough is enough. It's so easy to overdo weathering and rust.

What I hate is the simpleton theory that you can take any old glue bomb a kid built, smear rust and mud colored paint all over it (including the seats etc) and sell it on eBay as an expertly weathered model! I call those "Shake n Bake" cars, since they literally look like you put them in a bag of muck and shook it up. Those are the ones that give our art a bad name!

Oh, yeah. I've seen my share of those! A bit off topic - ever notice how every built up model you see on eBay is built by a 'professional' or 'expert', even the ones that look exactly like the ones you're describing? :lol:

Everybody is a professional or expert on the internet, the title is granted to you when you log on for the first time! lol

So I've been a professional expert all this time? Jeez, you'd think I'd have picked up on that long before now. You know, being a professional expert and all.... :lol: