Model Cars Magazine Forum

How big is your work table ?

So you REALLY wanted to see my work area ehh ???

No, it's no joke . Look, I'm too darned busy to clean up the place . I'm in the middle of yet another service station. This time , a Metal pre fab building that was a Gilmore station in Los Angles ...........

post-3159-0-23162100-1371397616_thumb.jp

Even though the basement is finished, I feel disconnected when I'm down there by myself.

I know what you mean. In my last place, I built a real nice garage work area, a window AC unit kept things cool. But that closed door between us, made things bumpy with Mrs. Mattis for a while. And frankly I didn't care to be all alone. So now I have a bench in the house, no closed door, I can work while she does whatever and we're still spending time together. Everyones happy.

I know what you mean. In my last place, I built a real nice garage work area, a window AC unit kept things cool. But that closed door between us, made things bumpy with Mrs. Mattis for a while. And frankly I didn't care to be all alone. So now I have a bench in the house, no closed door, I can work while she does whatever and we're still spending time together. Everyones happy.

I know what you mean! My Mrs. will set herself up with a show like "Dancing With The Stars" or "The Bachelorette" and then get mad at me if I leave the room. Not a problem though, she normally falls asleep on the couch within 15 minutes. Once she's asleep I can go upstairs to work in my model room for awhile. I'll be up there 2 hrs and return to watch a 10pm show. She'll wake up and ask what happened to her show and never realize I had left!

I know what you mean! My Mrs. will set herself up with a show like "Dancing With The Stars" or "The Bachelorette" and then get mad at me if I leave the room. Not a problem though, she normally falls asleep on the couch within 15 minutes. Once she's asleep I can go upstairs to work in my model room for awhile. I'll be up there 2 hrs and return to watch a 10pm show. She'll wake up and ask what happened to her show and never realize I had left!

Now that's funny, mine does the same thing!!!

Tonio, how do you build those beautiful models without an inch of clear space? :blink:

Of course, mine looks pretty much the same now, so i can't say much..... :D

Mine too! It's time I had one of those "hold everything!" moments and clean it all up. I'm at the point where I can't find parts to projects I'm working on, and I have about 5 things going on the bench. Nothing has kept my interest lately.

Tonio, how do you build those beautiful models without an inch of clear space? :blink:

Of course, mine looks pretty much the same now, so i can't say much..... :D

Mine too! It's time I had one of those "hold everything!" moments and clean it all up. I'm at the point where I can't find parts to projects I'm working on, and I have about 5 things going on the bench. Nothing has kept my interest lately.

Same here; I'll put everything away and focus on whichever build grabs the majority of my attention so I can finish it. I've just been so busy with work that I haven't had much time to finish a lot this year. :(

When I got back into models around 2002 my "work bench" was a 3/4" laminated plywood circle about 18" in diameter that I sat on the kitchen table or my lap. I kept all my supplies in a large tool box so I could move them to whichever part of the apartment was the model room that day. In 2005 we moved into a 2 bedroom house and I got the small laundry room (pretty much a dead end hallway) as a model room.

S4300001.jpg

In 2007 we moved into a 3 bedroom house, and I got the upstairs hallway which had a large landing for my model table. The white circle on the table and the black and yellow tool box are my original workspace. This was shortly after moving in, it was never so neat and orderly again.

desk.jpg

Ah, yes this is more like it. Notice the spacious 8x10" working area. :P

stash3.jpg

Last year we moved (again) and bought a house. We found a house we love, and like the town so we have no plans on moving again. I was all set to find a spot in the basement when I was surprised by my wife offering up one of the bedrooms, with one catch. I had to leave a corner for her so she could hang out while I work. Apparently she likes my company and would prefer to keep me in the house instead of disappearing into the basement.

With an offer like that I set about building my dream model shop. I decided on a 16x8' work area. The bench is 3 feet deep set up in a J shape so in my primary working area I essentially have 3 benches just by turning the chair. The remainder of the bench is for other work, paint booth, casting area etc. This has also proved useful when others need a work space where they are safe from disturbing my projects. There is an attached room we are currently using for storage and the model stash (my wife refers to that room as the hobby shop).

Workshop3.jpg

Workshop2.jpg

and the tool girl lounge which made this possible. :wub:

Workshop4.jpg

Edited by Aaronw