Model Cars Magazine Forum

Opel Rekord Turbo '62

ChevyCoupe41

Okay, here's my latest project Opel Rekord Turbo. It's Airtrax resin kit but it's missing some parts like most of it's interior and the whole chassis. Soon i will buy those parts so i can started to do suspension and interior modifications. But back to the subject, i will put turbo and fuel injection to that Opel's original engine and this will be my first turbo project so every kind of reference pics of four cylinder turbo engines are welcome. Also every kind of tips and tricks are welcome too. ;) Here's couple pics of starting point.

SAM_1029.jpg?t=1347388711

SAM_1030.jpg?t=1347388730

And heres one very bad pic of the engine. By the way i found in my parts box that Chevy small block engine's valve cover and it fits very well to this engine. :D

SAM_1033.jpg?t=1347388787

• 2 months later...

Well back in to the business with this one. Almost two months ago i got chassis,front and rear seats from Airtrax to this project. Also bought few weeks ago header with turbo and airfilter and intercooler. And what come with chassis, well Amt ZR1 Corvette will give some parts for it. Front suspension fits almost perfectly but rear suspension and rear end of chassis needs some modifications. And i got also one big problem. Body is too narrow so tires can't be very wide. :lol: But here some pics how this one looks now.

Turbo parts

SAM_1158.jpg?t=1354043547

Chassis and seats

SAM_1166.jpg?t=1354043753

Front suspension

SAM_1168.jpg?t=1354043734

Engine is also painted and I try to take some pics of it tomorrow with turbo system etc. ;)

Nice to see progress on this one! I like where this is heading, and for the rear tires, if you're going to make it a Drag Racer, those narrow 9" Slicks do have enough traction if the chassis is built correctly, in 1:1 world, I guess. And if it's a Street Car, it could be in Linna Cruising's Burnout Contest with narrow tires and steelies. :lol: :lol:

Thanks guys! Here pics of the engine and turbosystem. Not much to tell because it's very badly in progress.

SAM_1179.jpg?t=1354130971

And small mock up with turbo and intake manifold. It's will be very tight in the engine room because i must get intercooler,radiator and those pipes to intercooler etc. on their places.

SAM_1191.jpg?t=1354131116

Also found somekind of wheels to it. Those are too deep but maybe i found something same lookin in my partsbox. ;)

SAM_1192.jpg?t=1354131311

• 5 months later...

Well Opel will get back to workbench when I manage to get good suspension parts to it. I have many projects now but once I bring Opel back to workbench I hope that I manage to made big updates to this topic. ;) So I promise that this project will finish some day. :)

Okay first update. I started to do intake manifiold to the engine. It's very badly in progress but it is taking shape.

SAM_1053.jpg?t=1347557206

Thanks guys! Here pics of the engine and turbosystem. Not much to tell because it's very badly in progress.

And small mock up with turbo and intake manifold. It's will be very tight in the engine room because i must get intercooler,radiator and those pipes to intercooler etc. on their places.

SAM_1191.jpg?t=1354131116

Looking at the pictures, I noticed the turbo-setup and I get the idea that you don't have it correctly. I read somewhere that you don't know how the setup works and that's ok. We all need to learn.

What a turbocharger does is, sucking in air and blow it into the cilinders, the scoops needing to do that, are driven by exhaust gasses. Simplified, that's it.

So what you need to do, is to connect the Turbo to the exhaust manifold and the intake. Basically, the set-up you have for the exhaust seems to blowing cold air into the exhaust or use a aircleaner as a muffler. :)

The exhaustmanifold needs to connect to one halve of the turbocharger and redirect to the exhaust. That shouldn't be too hard. However, the front of the turbocharger needs to connect to a (cold) air intake and redirect to the intake. Here is where you need to decide where the carburettor is going to be, is it going to be in front or behind the turbocharger? In this case, I think behind the turbo is better and blows pressured air through the carburettor.

If a intercooler is used, the turbo needs to blow into the IC and from the IC to the intake.

I hope this helps a little bit, I am trying to find you a picture.