Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mack DM800: DONE 4/2/07

I'm back with another one. This was part of my 16th birthday present from my parents. I want to build this ine as nice as I can, without going over the top. After all, mine are for me, not contest judges. This is the Model King reissue (now if we could only get the DM600, I'd be set!). Mostly, I'm going to clean up all the parts, fill all visible seams and lay down what I hope will be my best paint job yet. Eventually, it'll get paired with a dump trailer, and lettered for Estok Trucking, just like the rest of the fleet. This will also be a small tribute build to my dad. After all, if it weren't for the dozen or so builtups that survived of his, I wouldn't be building at all. So, I will keep his old DM800 mixer in the background for the duration of the build.

Wow, there's alot of parts! Too bad most of that beautiful chrome will get stripped.

model069.jpg

This is dad's old DM800, I just wish more of it had survived. I may purchase another donor kit to restore this.

model074.jpg

So far, I've filled the seams on the rear ends. As I type this, I'm waiting for the BIN on the Camelback springs to dry. You can also see the partially completed frame in the background.

model075.jpg

Comments welcome, thanks for lookin'! And thanks for all the support by following my C800 build.

Good luck on this kitset.

All of the DM800 kits were over chromed to the max and each time I built it I spent more time cleaning off chrome than building.

My last DM800 is the mixer shown on my Signature.

I hope you do well with your Mack.

As an Ertl there are plenty of photographs.

Be cafefull how you line up the cab with the fenders and hood. There are many traps and it can't be rushed.

Cheers

John Wilson

It's been a little over a week since I started, but I've still been plugging along. Life has kind of been getting in the way (school, family, etc.), so I've had limited time at the bench. In the meantime, I did manage to get some done.

The chassis is done. The steering works great. Id rather have this than rolling wheels, plus the wheels will attach much more solid on this truck.

model078.jpg

The suspension works, too.

model079.jpg

I wrapped the fenders in aluminum tape. They still need polished with some Zephyr.

model077.jpg

A quick teaser...

model076.jpg

I'm going for the look of a restored truck, ready for an ATHS show.

Hello Casey,

The DM800 is a good truck to build, I built my first one about 25 years ago. I remembered the difficulties in assembling some of the parts. One thing that irritated me was the front wheels stick out from the fenders by about 1/8" on both sides. The truck didn't look right. So when I got back into building model trucks a couple of years ago I decided to have a go at another DM800 and to modify the front axle so that the wheels sat under the fenders. The result was much more pleasing. I removed most of the chrome to.

Interestingly I bought another DM800 kit from eBay not so long ago. I'm thinking about building a heavy hauler with a 500Hp mack Engine from Auslowe. The truck will have bigger wheels than standard and will be in the same livery as the Oshkosh.

Good Luck with the build and keep us posted on progress. :D

Best Wishes

Dave Bates.

Another long one. I'd rather do it slow and right than fast and, well you get the idea. I managed to get the rolling chassis 99% complet over the past 8 days. I only need to permanetly mount the fenders, fuel tanks, air tanks, fifth wheel and luberfiner. I also got some bodywork done, but am still waiting to get paint for the interior. I'm going to give the local Mack dealer a call to try and get the paint (fortunately, it's only a 20 minute ride).

I decided to leave the axle covers and trunion bar covers chrome. After all, this will depict an ATHS show truck.

These look much better painted than chrome. This is also the body color.

model089.jpg

The suspension works pretty well.

model091.jpg

This is one big Bulldog.

model093.jpg

P.S.

Hey Snapper, go for the heavy hauler! The 500 V8 is a newer engine, but most heavy haulers are custom built anyway. The 500 is a related to the 325, so in the real world, not much maodification would be needed. Mack V8's are quite the engines. I thought of using a resin KTA Cummins I have in mine, but by the time I thought about it, I already had the chassis done and painted.

Snapper, to strip the chrome I use Westleys Bleche White. I'm not sure if you have that over there in the U.K., but it is an automotivw whitewall cleaner. It strips the chome fairly quickly, but ca take several days to strip the laquer undercoat. I had alot to do, so the time issue wasn't a big one.

I got the engine in late last night. It's been done since about week 2 of the build, but for some reason I've been putting off painting it until Saturday morning. I weathered the exhaust maniforlds and the exhaust side of the turbo with Rustall. Anyone that's ever painted a real truck engine knows that within the frst few minutes of operation, any paint on those parts is gone.

model096.jpg

model097.jpg

I also got a head start on the interior. No, it's not real Mack paint, but it is real close. I closely matched some Model Master paint to the interior of a friend's 1:1 '73 RS700L.

model098.jpg

• 5 months later...

Whew! Its been a long time since October. Between bad weather, bad paint, and an overall slump, not much has happened.

The interior is done. The requisite Mack green all around, with dark green seats. This is the configuration of my buddy's previously mentioned '73 RS700L

model137.jpg

After being in the strip tank once, the second time came out much better. I was debating painting the grille silver, but I've never seen a real one like that. But I have seen a body colored grille with chrome bars, and I think I'll do that.

model135.jpg

model136.jpg

Casey, that's a good looking build so far, keep it up.

I second your vote for a DM-600 re-issue, I love those offset cabs! I built the Ertl model about 30 years ago, then re-built it the early 1990s. Sadly, I put it, and an AMT Kenworth, in a kitchen cabinet for safe-keeping during a house move, then forgot about both of them! Stoopid.

I recall seeing somewhere that Macks equipped with Maxidyne engines had a gold bulldog hood ornament instead of chrome. Don't know what engine you've got, but I love those little details.

Stuart

Casey,

Awesome job so far. I really like the way your wheels came out. Nice touch. They'll look right at home on that bulldog. I like the color combo on the hood and cab as well. What color did you use on the interior? It looks just like that old green color the used to use on some of the old Macks and Brockways. I just forgot the name of it...:D I want to get my hands on a Brockway resin cab and do one of those sometime! Your Mack is looking real good so far! Keep it up, can't wait to see it done!

APRIL FOOL!

The bulldog is done. Amber fog lights and extra lights on the rear fenders complete the '70s look. The front fenders don't fit quite right, but I think I'll live with it. All I have to do is make up a license plate for it.

Picture119.jpg

Picture122.jpg

Picture120.jpg

Picture121.jpg

Edit: I made two plates, fitting the direction of the build.

model138.jpg

Thanks everyone! For my interior I used Model Master Acryl # 4793 "Lichtgrun". I found it with the artillery paints, I guess its German. It dries to a nice semigloss sheen that is perfect for the interior.

And, as a final parting shot for the build, long lost cousins.

model138-1.jpg

P.S.

As a final note, I had a blast doing this build. And keep a lookout, I WILL be doing the DM600!