Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone.... Thanks for the kind comments and I am excited to see the site back up. I am gonna have a pretty cool update for you tomorrow was hoping to today but decided to take a road trip to Sedona, Az today.... Stay tuned... B)

With the forum being down I have gone into withdrawal. Now I'm getting my "fix" with all these updates. I'm sure you have plenty to share with us. But I'll have to wait until tomorrow to see 'em as my wife and I are going to Gettysburg today. More of the 150th anniversary of the battle events. Can't wait to see your updates Chris.

Hello Fellas.... I know I have kept you all waiting long enough today for this update I mentioned to you yesterday. Since the forum has been down I would say that I was pretty productive in getting a few things done on this build and have made some great progress. I will be making about 4 post of pictures I have about 15 to show you...lol well I won't bore you anymore with words...let me show you....

I started by getting the front Axle painted Alclad Chrome:

DP-Army-Vega3506-1_zpsef642161.jpg

Along with the front spindles as well:

DP-Army-Vega3507-1_zps2a5e3560.jpg

I then started to work on a seat pad for the seat. The one on the left was my first one and I didn't like how I made the hole for the shoulder straps to big. So I cut another template and made the hole smaller along with adding heads from push pins for the snaps:

DP-Army-Vega3507-1_zps2a5e3560.jpg

Here is a shot of it sitting in the seat before gluing it in place, Also the seat has been glued in place prior to the seat pad:

DP-Army-Vega3523-1_zpsb7e70f4c.jpg

Next on the list was to bend all of the Dzus Fastener Spring Clips. As you can see I bent a bunch the ones left of the red wire were my first run and I wasn't happy with them. So I kept trying different ways to bend them and after I found a pretty good technique using two of my stainless needle pliers I managed a way that I was happy with them. The wire I used was from 30ga wire that I stripped the insulation off of:

DP-Army-Vega3544-1_zpse11fdc3d.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Here I glued the seat pad onto the seat:

DP-Army-Vega3586-1_zpsdf995075.jpg

Now the real fun begins..... I have completed the Rolling Chassis today. I did quite a bit of work on this today. I started out by polishing the radius rods and steering rod. While I was polishing those I thought... Hmmm let me try and polish a bolt, well after I saw how good they came out. I polished all of the Bolts, Nuts and Photo-Etch washers for ever nut and bolt used on the front Axle assembly, bolting the Axle to the chassis as well as the bolts for the radius rods. I am super happy with the outcome.... I am not quite happy with how the pics turned out and am planning on shooting some more tomorrow out in the daylight to see if I can get some better pics of how bright the chrome on the Axle is:

DP-Army-Vega3603-1_zps49f8a569.jpg

Here is the Front Axle Assembled on the chassis, All put together with Scale Hardware nuts, bolts & wasthers:

DP-Army-Vega3606-1_zps08f026e5.jpg

Not the best picture of the radius rods but you get the idea:

DP-Army-Vega3608-1_zps8272f10e.jpg

I also go the brake line hooked up and here is the brake line connecting to the "T" Fitting:

DP-Army-Vega3613-1_zps1dd3ce59.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Friggin' amazin' stuff Chris. I've been jonesin' for an update and I gotta tell ya, you don't disappoint. So nice to see a rolling chassis and those dzus aren' just hittin' it outta the park, they're a walk off grand slam home run.

Maybe you mentioned this earlier, but what did you use for the seat padding? It looks great especially with the pin heads.

Steller work my friend!!

Danno.... Thanks buddy... It will be done for next years DSC ;)

Alyn.... Thanks for the kind words bud. I know I have taken some of the little details sorta to the extreme. I wanted to see if I could make those spring clips to add that extra little detail.

Niko.... Thanks Buddy!! I am sure it could get better than this but I am happy with how it is turning out so far.

Brett.... Thanks Bud! I have been challenging myself to take things to the next level to see if I can do it.

Larry.... Thank you!

Ray... Thanks man.

Ray... Thank you. The brake line fittings are from RB Motion. They are just one part of his A/N Fittings that I used for that piece.

Aaron... Thanks bud!!

Dave.... Thanks so much my friend. It feels great to have it at this stage.

Brad.... Thanks buddy.....I am glad this update wasn't a disappointment ;) I am so much more motivated now to get more accomplished on this build. You know I think I forgot to mention what I used for the seat padding. It is actually some Suede Leather that I picked up at Michaels. It was the best stuff I could find to match my reference pic that I had. I will show a comparison pic when I take some pics outside in a little bit.

John.... Thanks my Brother. You know I am very proud of this build so far and it means a lot with you saying that this build should be displayed at the NHRA Museum. Would be pretty cool.

Ira.... thank you bud!!

Well Fellas.... I am debating what I should work on next. I want to get back on to the engine and get some of that together but I am thinking that I am going also get the 5 point harness build and installed. And once I get that done I can install the over flow tank and get the lines hooked up to that. Thank you all again for following along and all of the kind comments. Stay Tuned for more B).... I want to get some pics of the rolling chassis sitting out in the sunlight and will post a few more pics in a little bit.

Steve... Thank you!! i appreciate the kind words.

Mark.... Thank you for the compliments on this. I know its been a long progress following along and I can't wait to have it done so I can move onto my next few projects. I have 2 other 1/16th scale builds in mind next that I am debating on starting at the same time. One will be another Highly detailed build and the other will have lots of detail but not to the extent here.