Model Cars Magazine Forum

Kenworth W900L

Started a new project. This is my first real attempt at scratch building, so we will see how it goes. So far I have made the basic hood shape using styrene sheet. I am planning on modifying a snap kit W900 to update the cab and sleeper to a modern style one. I have the basic shape roughed out right now:

002_zpsad9d630b.jpg

003_zps1b95c3f1.jpg

Made some more progress today. I used hex stock styrene rod to make extended nut covers on the front wheel. Sprayed it with a little silver paint and it doesn't look too bad for being a snap-tite wheel:

004_zpse4f5b2a8.jpg

The rear wheels on the snap-tite models always seemed too shallow to me. I found that gluing the ring from an AMT white freightliner DD kit onto the outside of the snap-tite wheel it makes it a little deeper and more real looking. I still need to spay these silver to dull the look down a bit:

001_zpsde9bb81c.jpg

I had this Detroit Diesel series 60 engine set aside for another project, but I think I'm going to use it in this build. It seems to fit into the frame alright:

003_zpsa8047b44.jpg

I also sprayed some primer on the whole cab so that it is easier to see where I need to sand. The primer really makes the defects pop.

006_zpsbf237257.jpg

Looks good. Where did you get the sleeper from? Gonna have to make it a curved windshield too bein an aerocab. Possibly one piece glass too

I forgot to answer your question. I got the sleeper from an AMT T600 kit and then modified the front corners of it. I'm going to keep the windsield as a two piece, and I am leaving the old style windows in the doors, as the truck I am using as a reference is like this. I should curve the windshield a little, but that may be a little difficult for my skill set at the moment. I should have used a cab from a T600 kit to get the curved windshield. I do have plans for a T800 in the future that will have the one piece curved windshield and "daylight" door windows.

Looking REALLY good.

Just a thought...not telling you what to do. If you want "newer" style glass, consider using the plastic from a 2 liter pop bottle and just a bit of heat from a candle or hair dryer. It may take a few tries but you can get the profile you want. Only after you have made the glass, then whack out the center post and vent window posts and fill/modify as you want. That stuff is thin enough that even if you dont get it "perfect", a little tape and white glue should hold it in place properly. I have made fighter plane pilot canopies out of it and been real pleased with it. It aint perfect under the magnifying glass but certainly passes the "two foot" rule. Just be willing to try half a dozen (or more) times and experiment with molding/shaping it before whacking out any "white" plastic.

Good luck. Very nice!

It's been slow progress, but I've gotten a little more done. I got some exhaust pipes made out of styrene tube:

003_zpse65ddcb3.jpg

I made some battery boxes out of styrene sheet with some perforated brass as the steps:

006_zpsa00c3e1b.jpg

After painting:

010_zpsae8873a5.jpg

I modified the snap kit fuel tanks to look a little better. I sanded off the molded in straps, used bare metal foil as tank straps with black vinyl underneath, then added some fuel caps:

008_zps4f3349ac.jpg

Looking really nice. Those fuel caps are great - did you make them ?

The fuel caps are resin pieces from Auslowe.

I got some more progress yesterday, only to discover a huge oversight on my part. I never measured from the back of the cab to the drive axles on the snap-kit frame, and the frame is too short to pull most trailers. Here is the current mock-up:

005_zps873e92a1.jpg

009_zps939d6f3c.jpg

So this morning I pulled it all apart, cut the frame up and lengthened it 24 scale inches behind the back of the sleeper. Now I'm going to have to repaint it and redo the warning decals, but luckily I was able to salvage most of the other parts.

The series 60 is also resin from Auslowe, but it is a replica of the one that comes with the Italeri peterbilts, so it is actually 1:24 scale. It doesn't look like the scale difference will me a problem with this build, I guess I will see.

This is looking pretty good! Nice job on that hood. I've been looking at doing something like this for a while. Now I think I know where to start and what to use! Good job! I'm going to follow this closely. Here is some inspiration, just to keep you on track...

post-8076-0-94441700-1392000670_thumb.jp

Edited by BigBad