Model Cars Magazine Forum

55 ton 3-axle lowboy

Alright, I figured I would document my latest project. I have seen a lot of people looking for detachable gooseneck lowboy trailers, so I figured I would build one. As I build it, I figured I would make molds of all of the parts and assemble an affordable do-it-yourself lowboy complete kit. This has been a work in progress for a long time, but now it is time to start building.

The goal here is to create a kit that will give builders a good base to build a lowboy. I want to make a trailer that can be built right out of the box that looks good on a shelf without being too expensive, but can also be given more detail by an experienced builder to create a show piece.

This is the 3D model that I created when designing this trailer:

lowboy%202_zpszdycru1d.jpg

The main rails are 3D printed, the rest of the parts will be cast or styrene.

004_zpsrrralgtb.jpg

Dude, you are amazing. I'm guessing this is the big project you've dropping hints about. I'll take 2 with a set of Alcoa and 255 tires. I'll be following this.

Yup, this is one of the big projects I have been working on. I will have a 2-axle version and a 3-axle version. They will be essentially the same trailer other than the length of the rear and the number of axles.

I'm not sure how long the pay hauler or D8 are, the deck of this trailer will be 24 scale feet, so around 11.5". For pricing I am aiming for $75 for the 2-axle version with no rims or tires, $110 for the complete 2-axle version with rims and tires. For the 3-axle version I am aiming for $85 with no rims and tires, or $130 for the complete kit with rims and tires. Since the main rails are 3D printed I will have to buy those for every trailer I sell, so that accounts for a majority of the price. All of the other parts I will make.

Edited by KJ790

Since the main rails are 3D printed I will have to buy those for every trailer I sell, so that accounts for a majority of the price. All of the other parts I will make.

Have you looked into having parts laser cut? I know there's places that can do Styrene.

To me if there's a cost savings, gluing the flange onto the beam face might be worth it.

Just a thought.

Matt, I did look into a few options and I couldn't get a price that was decent. Everything seemed the same or more and I couldn't justify having to glue the flanges on the rails. I could always look again though.

I have modified the main frame rails in front of the axles to give more "meat" to it. For now I will build the prototype with the rails I have since I already paid for them, but when I offer this as a kit it will have the updated rails.

Main%20Frame_zpsjevsjdbg.jpg

Matt, I did look into a few options and I couldn't get a price that was decent. Everything seemed the same or more and I couldn't justify having to glue the flanges on the rails. I could always look again though.

I had some stuff cut out of laserboard... and it was pretty reasonable. Styrene might be more.. it was more of a passing thought. Some parts for detailing from the company that did my custom work:

http://www.vectorcut.com/GenericParts.htm

I'm not sure how long the pay hauler or D8 are, the deck of this trailer will be 24 scale feet, so around 11.5". For pricing I am aiming for $75 for the 2-axle version with no rims or tires, $100 for the complete 2-axle version with rims and tires. For the 3-axle version I am aiming for $85 with no rims and tires, or $120 for the complete kit with rims and tires. Since the main rails are 3D printed I will have to buy those for every trailer I sell, so that accounts for a majority of the price. All of the other parts I will make.

That's a great price.

Ben

KJ looking good. Your pricing is for the trailers is where I expected them to be. When do you think you will have them for sale?

I have to finish making molds for the rest of the parts and get this first prototype built, then I will start taking orders. I will order the frame rails and make the rest of the parts as the trailers are ordered, so there will be a lead time of a few weeks to get them shipped out.