Model Cars Magazine Forum

'73 Chevrolet Chevelle- Mastered by Tom Ellifritt

Personally, if it were me i'd do it with all the trim. That way the average builder could sand off what they don't want. More people find it easier to sand off stuff than to try and add it and keep it straight. Just my two pennies. Open hood too, definitely.

Ditto!!

I don't know the differences between the 1973 and 1974 so I would say whichever modifies easier into the other. I agree with futurabat. Full trim and an opened hood is best for me. I've tried putting trim like side chrome on and it's never straight. Those are the cars that get banished to the back of the room.

I don't know the differences between the 1973 and 1974 so I would say whichever modifies easier into the other. I agree with futurabat. Full trim and an opened hood is best for me. I've tried putting trim like side chrome on and it's never straight. Those are the cars that get banished to the back of the room.

Main differences are the grille and tailights..the '73 has quad round tailights, the '74 has dual rounded trapazoidal tailights..'73 is the better looking of the two years, IMO.

The rear of the 73 and 74 are the same except for the lights, they both have the notch in the corners of the trunk lid and the tail light panel raises at the ends. In 75 the trunk has square corners and its flat across the end with rectangle lights, this design lasted until 77.

Looks like two distinct "noses" will be need for '73 and '74, as the '73's header panel drops down while the '74's grille appears to be taller. Are the bumper-to-header panel filler pieces the same for '73 and '74?

The front and rear bumpers are definitely different, although i'm not seeing a difference in the front turn signal lights. The 74 grille is definitely higher and more squared off, while the front clip on the 73 model seems to have a slight cant and softer edges. Doesn't look like that easy of a fix to me, but then i'm not real skilled at conversions.

Just thought you Chevelle lovers would want to know that I've agreed to master a 1973 Chevelle for Kevin. He's got all the raw material I need to do it. If I have questions for you experts, I will post them here. I don't have access to a real Chevelle, so I'll have to use lots of pictures and ask questions. Right now what I could use are pictures of the wheel well openings taken directly from the side, at about the height of the center of the wheel. This will minimize photographic distortion. Front to back measurements of the wheel wells won't hurt, either. If any of you have a real Chevelle, here's your chance to contribute.

I'm not saying I won't work on anything else while I'm doing this, but I'll make sure you don't have to wait a year for it. If we all work together, this will be really cool!

-Tom