Model Cars Magazine Forum

359 Peterbilt (customised)

Thanks for the additional comments.

No worries with the suspension tips fella's.

I actually read and learnt how to go about it on here,but I cant recall/remember the post or member that supplied the info.

So really the thanks should go out to them for the tips on how to mod the suspension.

By the way, are you retaining the kit engine?

Yeah going to use the kit engine and will be adding some extra details.

Here is another modification that was done to lower the front.

Cut the floor pan off the frame and remove/sand down the strip that remains on the floor pan.This mod lowers the hood/bonnet and cab/sleeper a further 2mm

floorpanmodsc.jpg

floorpanmodsb.jpg

floorpanmods.jpg

But by lowering the floor pan you will also need to relocate/lower the hood/bonnet hinges.

bonnet-hoodhingerelocated.jpg

Sorry I didnt get any before pics.But if you have this particular kit just compare the mods ive done to the out of the box parts and it will help to see where and what was done.

Thanks again for the comments fella's.

Like the way you cut the fame looks good.If you don't mind I like too try that some day.

"Low ri---der!!!

Dont mind at all.

what did u make ur rear fenders out of i was thinking of make somthing of the sort i just cant figure out somthing to go around the wheels like that

To make the rear guards/fenders I chopped up a toothpick container for the top radius and the rest is styrene. I will try piece together a small how to,explaining and showing how they were made.

Very Small update.

Done a bit more work to the rear bumper/light bar.

Marked out and drilled holes for the tail lights.

Cut to length then polished some (3/16) aluminum tube for the light surrounds

Cut spacers for the lights (craft rhinestones) to mount on.

rearlightbar-bumpercomponents.jpg

Surrounds and spacers temporarily installed

rearlightbar-bumperwithspacersandsurroundsa.jpg

Temporary install on the lights

rearlightbar-bumperwithlights.jpg

Me too Doug.

Another small progress update.

Made some stacks.

For the elbows on the lower part of the stacks,a section was cut from a plastic coat hanger.

elbowforstacks.jpg

The stacks are 5/16 aluminum tube.

Rough quick mock up for the moment,still need to fine tune their exact location and make some brackets to attach the stacks to the cab.

stacksf.jpg

stacksa.jpg

stackss.jpg

stacks.jpg

Alright, that's it, I'm making my own custom now! You pushed me to it with your terrific build Luke!! Kiddings aside I did buy the sister kit Kenworth to do just that, my own custom. I like the way you are going about this, your Pete will look like what a 1:1 custom would look like, your details look right on (exhaust stacks lenght and diameter), you are nicely detailing the build for us as well And showing clever tricks such as the exhaust elbows and great rear bumper layout BTW. Very nice and thanks for all the instructions! This 359 is wicked looking with that visor.

Edited by BigBad

Nice work, very clean and precise. I have been building the same kit with the show truck look for awhile now but it is radio controlled and has working suspension and lights. I wish I could cut the grill and put screen in but the chrome is more important to me. Also like the shape of the visor, you should make matching visors for the door windows. If you are like me and don't like the gap between the grill and bumper let me know and I will show you how I got rid of it.

Is that French modeler Christian Chapman? If not you should google him.

Clever idea using the coat-hanger elbows for the stacks.

David G.

Thanks David,the lower bend/elbow on the stacks had me stumped for a while as to how and what to use.

Alright, that's it, I'm making my own custom now! You pushed me to it with your terrific build Luke!! Kiddings aside I did buy the sister kit Kenworth to do just that, my own custom. I like the way you are going about this, your Pete will look like what a 1:1 custom would look like, your details look right on (exhaust stacks lenght and diameter), you are nicely detailing the build for us as well And showing clever tricks such as the exhaust elbows and great rear bumper layout BTW. Very nice and thanks for all the instructions! This 359 is wicked looking with that visor.

Thanks for the kind words Robert.Good to hear and look foward to seeing your custom.

Like I said in the opening post I aint a truck fan but I do like the custom rigs very much.

Im way out of my element on this truck build but im trying.All the ideas and tricks have been inspired by other peoples builds and 1:1's.

Fingers crossed it turns out the way I envision it in my head.