Model Cars Magazine Forum

1958 Corvette Snowcrest White---White white or Ivory?

I have reference pix that look really white and i have paint from Scalefinishes that looks creamy in the bottle!

Can someone familiar with 1:1 Snowcrest let me know, please?

Joe.

Snowcrest white should have a slightly "creamy" or "warm" look to it, especially under artificial light. It's not a stark white as it say, "appliance" or "refrigerator" white--white automotive paints from even the late 1950's were that way. The problem with any photograph is that so much depends on the camera, the film used, and if published in a magazine or book--it's transferred from a transparency image, probably Kodachrome, which can approximate the colors of the subject as seen in natural sunlight.

However, indoors, under artificial light, most all automotive white paints from back then do have a noticeable "cream" cast to them, the degree of that varying from one manufacturer or model year to another.

Art

Going by the 1958-59 Chevies (and other GM cars, which mostly used the same white, except perhaps Cadillac), the white should be ever so slightly off-white, and may look more cream/ivory in color before drying.

Scale Finishes and MCW use their respective paint manufacturer's mixing formulae (Dave at MCW uses PPG lacquer, Scale Finishes uses whoever makes their paint, I believe Jameson uses Sherwin-Williams, but I'm not sure). While the codes and final results might vary slightly, all the samples, regardless of paint type or manufacturer, should be probably within about a shade of each other.

Charlie Larkin

Snowcrest white should have a slightly "creamy" or "warm" look to it, especially under artificial light. It's not a stark white as it say, "appliance" or "refrigerator" white--white automotive paints from even the late 1950's were that way. The problem with any photograph is that so much depends on the camera, the film used, and if published in a magazine or book--it's transferred from a transparency image, probably Kodachrome, which can approximate the colors of the subject as seen in natural sunlight.

However, indoors, under artificial light, most all automotive white paints from back then do have a noticeable "cream" cast to them, the degree of that varying from one manufacturer or model year to another.

Art

Even if one looks at a paint chip book (I have a very nearly mint set of Martin-Senour paint chips 1947-1992, and Martin Senour automotive paints were, at least from the 1960's through to 1992 when I was given these by a retiring NAPA store owner, made by Sherwin Williams) one can clearly notice the very muted colors, especially when the chips are on still-bright, white cardstock pages. Of course, one generally views such chip books indoors, under artificial light, so I suspect the colors look a bit different in the fairly bluish light of the sun on a clear day. That certainly would affect how human eyes see white paint samples.

Art

This may not apply, but something to think about. When trying to model my 1:1 truck (Colonial White), I found a paint that matched the 1:1 perfectly. When I sprayed it on the model, however, it looked much too dark and "yellow". I ended up using a whiter white and the model looks much more like the real truck.

Guys. thanks so much for the help. I will spray a test strip and then view under natural light. I have upgraded the fluorescent fixtures in my workshop with high temp "natural" bulbs. I guess there is no substitute for outside at noon!!!

Thanks again,

joe.