Model Cars Magazine Forum

'70 Plymouth Hemi 'Cuda Reference Pics & Info

Probably had an NHRA-legal car and a not-so-legal car for match racing. That was how the Pro Stock class came to be in 1970, because of the huge crowds that Sox & Martin, Grumpy Jenkins, et al. were drawing for their heads-up anything-goes Super Stock match races, they turned those into the new Pro Stock class.

The 70 Cuda did have an optional elastomeric front bumper, that's what the red one is.

Are you sure the 1st one with chrome bumpers is even a 1970 ?

Because to be honest , I don't remember ever seeing anything but red bumpers on the ft of 1970 car. The rear bumper I have pics showing it both ways. But every picture I have with a ft end view to verify it is in fact a 1970 is a red bumper (and I have a bunch of pictures of the S+M cars )

A rubber bumper is heavier than a chrome one, so deep down I would bet it's a fiberglass bumper painted body color

I have a few with of the 71 car with red ft bumper , but,,,,,, it's usually a chrome bumper.

Then nothing but chrome bumpers on the 1972 car

But what about the grille-less fenders?

I've never seen any picture of the S+M 1971 car where it had the gilled fenders,,,,, at least not in any picture of it i've seen of it .

Back then cars would / could and usually did change from week to week . I just went thru every picture of the 1971 Sox and Martin cuda I have on file. None show it with gilled fenders , and only 2 show it with a red ft bumper.

One of them is a static shot (my guess it's early in the year as a publicity shoot ) with Jake King in the photo and the other is an action shot ( not sure when or where it was taken )

1971-cuda_zps4b91be76.jpg

cuda71_zpsfaf24e4b.jpg

Edited by gtx6970

I've never seen any picture of the S+M 1971 car where it had the gilled fenders,,,,, at least not in any picture of it i've seen of it .

Back then cars would / could and usually did change from week to week . I just went thru every picture of the 1971 Sox and Martin cuda I have on file. None show it with gilled fenders , and only 2 show it with a red ft bumper.

One of them is a static shot (my guess it's early in the year as a publicity shoot ) with Jake King in the photo and the other is an action shot ( not sure when or where it was taken )

Those would be correct for a '71 Barracuda (like the Johan kit), only the 'Cudas in '71 had them, I believe.

Didn't know, thanks for the feedback!

An AAR version would be the next logical kit release. As much as I'd like the S&M car, this would make more sense. Or maybe after a drag car.....

Ditto!!! An AAR version would be the next logical kit release. And, like Fastback340 I do not wish to step on any of the S&M drag car enthusiast toes. However, IMHO with a "stock" `70 Cuda almost in our hands an '70 "AAR" Cuda is MUCH easier to kit from the stock '70 Cuda than all the additional modifications needed to kit a full blown Pro-Stock Sox & Martin car. And, lets not forget people the '70 AAR Cuda surly deserves recognition as one of Mopars best factory street machines and it also has a VERY rich American racing history.

Throughout its 35-year history, the All American Racers (AAR) Cuda’s have occupied a special niche among the glory days of Trans—Am Racing. In 1970, Plymouth recruited Dan Gurney from Santa Anna, California to build a Trans-Am Cuda to compete against Mustangs, Camaros and Javelins for the Trans American Championships of Manufactures.

With that as a backdrop, Chrysler had to produce enough street versions of the AAR Cuda to meet SCCA minimum production requirement in order to run in the Trans-Am series. So, in mid 1970 Plymouth released to the American car buying market a special edition of the Gurney Trans-Am car, the “J code” AAR Cuda. The 340 blocks that were dropped in the street production AAR Cuda’s were heated up versions of the little lightweight, high revving V-8. AAR 340 engines had thicker main webs at the bottom of the block which allowed them to be drilled out for four bolt main caps, making it a stronger block than the mainstream street production engines. They also had special high-performance cylinder heads with 10 1/2 to 1compression, high performance cam shafts, improved valve train oiling as well as 426 Hemi rocker arms and shafts. The 340 AAR blocks also came with three Holley 2BBL carburetors seated atop an aluminum Edelbrock intake manifold with a six-pack air cleaner and a rubber gasket that sealed it to the hood to draw in outside air. The engine was rated at 290hp with 10.5:1 compression ratio. The little AAR 340 engines put out 290 horsepower at 345 pound of torque. These lightweight factory built race cars weighted just under 3,000 lbs and ran 0-60 in 5.8 seconds and turn 14.4 second 100 mph quarter miles straight off the show room floor! Other trick goodies that came as standard equipment (yes I said standard equipment) on this little street screamer included road racing suspension (bigger torsion bars/ heavy duty leaf springs/sway bar/8 ¾ “sure grip rear end /11” brake drums), Hurst pistol Grip shifter, a low drag lightweight fiberglass “fresh air” hood with hood pins, road/fog lamps, 26" radiator, shroud and clutch fan, factory N44 side exhaust system mufflers with chromed trumpet tips, “duck tail” rear spoiler, a pair of “eyebrow” front chin spoilers, vertical louvered rocker panel moldings, body colored racing mirrors, black out treatment on rear tail light panel as well as hood, bucket seats, console, three spoke wood steering wheel, E-60x15 tires up front H-60x15 on rear, either four speed manual or 727 Torque Flight auto trans, 150 mph speedo, 8000 rpm tach and strobe stripe body panel graphics. All this high performance come with a base sticker price around twenty-eight to twenty-nine hundred dollars back in the day!

The AAR Cuda was only produced in 1970 . The production run ONLY LASTED from March to April of 1970. This rarity makes 1970 AAR Cuda's one of the most collectable cars of the entire pony car era. In all, 2,724 AAR’s were produced, 1,120 were 4 speeds and 1,614 were 3 speed automatics.

I pray that when Revell releases the '70 AAR Cuda kit they INCLUDE a few of the items they neglected to include in the forthcoming "stock" `70 Cuda kit:

1-Rear window louver's (they were available options for stock Cuda's & AAR Cuda`s)

2-Horizontal louvered rocker panel moldings (they were available options for stock Cuda's &

AAR Cuda`s)

Both of these parts additions can be used to enhance either a `70 Cuda AAR or stock '70 Cuda build.

70CudaAAR-340.jpg

19898157-770-02X.jpg

19898175-770-02X.jpg

15286654-770-02X.jpg

18427818-770-02X.jpg

In conclusion, I am very happy that the 1/25 scale `70 Cuda kit will be in our hands very soon. It's been a LONG time coming and i wish to thanks all those that played a part in making this happen. I have per-ordered six of the kits for myself from my LHS. I am also aware of a number of others who who frequent my LHS who have also per-ordered multiplies of the kit. In-fact two of the regulars who frequent my LHS have per-ordered a case each for personnel use/building purposes. The owner of the shop says he cannot recall when he has seen this much buzz about a kit release. I hope the next buzz will be about a `70 AAR 340 Cuda and then the `70 Cuda Sox & Martin Pro-Stock car.

Edited by 69NovaYenko

As a refresher on the importance and heritage of the `70 AAR Cuda 340 in American Muscle car legend review this clip I ran across from the TV series "American Muscle Cars "Plymouth AAR `Cuda and Dodge Challenger T/A.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUYK78sdgqA&feature=share&list=PLg-xQIc4JaSVvUI7NBIMhtOzBrRMa7WSr

I hope you enjoy.

Edited by 69NovaYenko

Lower rocker gills were not avail on AAR Cudas ( due to the exhaust tips ) Although you see them on restored cars .

Rear window louvers were avail as an option ,,,,,BUT I think with vinyl top cars only

ps, It appears the tires are no name blank sidewalls and no decals to represent the white letters ?????

Edited by gtx6970

ps, It appears the tires are no name blank sidewalls and no decals to represent the white letters ?????

GTX....right you are, no RWL or provision for same. The tires are all-new tooled, however, and look to be the right size/shape.

Turns out that the Round 2 Goodyear Polyglas GT F-60-15 RWL tires are an exact fit and swap - no modifications needed. The Round 2 AMT Parts Pack for these tires just showed up at my LHS this week...TIM

Edited by tim boyd

Greg/// - the Revell '70 'cuda DOES include the "Fishgull" rocker moldings - I think that may be what you are thinking of with point #1 above. These were standard on the 'cuda per my references (but not on the AAR). They are 2 separate pieces on the plated parts tree and look/fit great. But they really should be finished in the "Astrotone" Silver (heavy metallic silver with a matte finish) as the chrome plating is not 1.1 scale correct.

DSC_0305-vi.jpg

DSC_0309-vi.jpg

As for the Rear Window Louvers, it will be interesting to see if those Louvers in the 1/24th scale '71 Cuda kit will "fit" the 1/25th scale '70 'cuda body...I would guess not but you never know until you try it...

Best...TB

TB.

Thanks for the heads-up about the "Fish-gill" rocker moldings. None of the cars i saw in the test/promo shoots had them so naturally I thought they were not kitted. VERY GLAD to see Revell had enough fore-thought to include the "Fish-gill" rocker moldings as a build option..it appears this kit is going to be some kinda awesome!!!

As for the rear window louvers, hopefully one of the many skilled resin casters out there will make something available in the very near future.

Lower rocker gills were not avail on AAR Cudas ( due to the exhaust tips ) Although you see them on restored cars .

Rear window louvers were avail as an option ,,,,,BUT I think with vinyl top cars only

GTX:

I will have to look into the "Fish-grill" rocker gills not being available on the `70 AAR Cudas. As you pointed out I have seen a number of restored AAR cars with them..ie the Ivy Green Metallic, Lemon Twist and In Purple Metallic AAR cars I attached in an earlier post. But, because a restorer adds it doesn't always mean it's factory correct.

I will also followup on the rear window louvers only being available for vinyl top cars.

Thanks for the info.

Edited by 69NovaYenko

I wouldn't be surprised for a moment to find that one or more AAR Cuda models flew out of Dodge Main flanked with the rocker mouldings . These cars -and their T/A Challenger brethern- were built on the same lines at the same time as regular model E-bodies , and not in batches (think: Daytona and Super Bird) .

Greg/// - the Revell '70 'cuda DOES include the "Fishgull" rocker moldings - I think that may be what you are thinking of with point #1 above. These were standard on the 'cuda per my references (but not on the AAR). They are 2 separate pieces on the plated parts tree and look/fit great. But they really should be finished in the "Astrotone" Silver (heavy metallic silver with a matte finish) as the chrome plating is not 1.1 scale correct.

DSC_0305-vi.jpg

DSC_0309-vi.jpg

As for the Rear Window Louvers, it will be interesting to see if those Louvers in the 1/24th scale '71 Cuda kit will "fit" the 1/25th scale '70 'cuda body...I would guess not but you never know until you try it...

Best...TB

I think the rocker mouldings were available on the AAR Cuda's. I remember seeing a 1970 test report in Car and Driver and the car had the Rockers on them.

By the way, the Feb '14 issue of Collectible Automobile came over the weekend..it has an in-depth article on the '70-74 Barracudas and 'Cudas, lots of pics of the '70 variations incl. the Gran Coupe which was one I wasn't familiar with.

Edited by Rob Hall

I am thinking of building one with a luggage rack and I am wondering what kit that I can take parts from that might have a luggage rack? I think there is a Corvette kit out there but I am not sure what year.

Dave...the kit you are thinking of is the AMT/Ertl 1972 Corvette kit from the early 1990's (and probably reissued several times since then).

One of my 1/1 scale references says that the Corvette and Mopar B/E Body Luggage Racks were identical, so presumably this would be a completely correct source for the rack.

TIM