Model Cars Magazine Forum

I remember a truck that ran around my hometown in Iowa that was a standard conventional daycab truck, but mounted on the rear was a large crane, but this one had a rotating box type cab with a motor of some sort contained within it. The boom was a narrowing series of triangles. I was a teenager when I saw it, so this memory is from many years ago, and I'm not sure that I'm describing it well. I've never seen one since either. Does anybody have any idea what this was called or have any pictures of such a rig? I'd like to build a model of it.

Casey, that's very close. What I remember would be much older as I think it was even old when I saw it. The big difference that I remember is that the control cabin, or whatever it was called, was more of a box and covered the engine area as well. Where tht crane "tower" is solid except the round holes, the one I remember was an open series of triangles. Thanks for sharing that picture. It will help me to get a start.

Douglas,

The description you give makes a lot of sence to me. We used to have a lot of crane trucks like that here in Britain, still do in fact. I did a search on Hank's truck pictures and found these photo's:

http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/mark_simiele02.htm

Have a good look through hopefully there will be something there of use.

Dave you got it. I missed those when I was looking, because every time I go to Hank's site, I forget what I'm looking for, and spend hours just looking at all the cool truck pictures. That old Mack L crane is "spot on" to what I'm remembering. There are several other pictures on that page that will also be helpful. Thanks a lot. I really appreciate your help.

Edited by Kodiak Island Modeler