Model Cars Magazine Forum

Not as wicked quick as an Atom... Not that is something I'd really like to have. Just not willing to give up the Camaro or Corvette to make room for it.

It sucks when your garage is too small! :lol: I had a discussion with my wife the other day and asked her what the perfect house was. She went on and on about how many bed rooms, bathrooms, and such. She then asked me what my perfect house was. My reply? A fifteen car garage with a loft. Am I asking for too much?

This popped up yesterday and has the Atom world upside down. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Replica-Kit-Makes-Ariel-Atom-Replica-Ariel-Atom-REPLICA-KIT-/121076484209?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item1c30b88871 These are the frames and parts from the ill fated Chinese factory being imported through someone in Portland. Yeah drama on the Atom forum, kind of missed the drama of old ....

It sucks when your garage is too small! :lol: I had a discussion with my wife the other day and asked her what the perfect house was. She went on and on about how many bed rooms, bathrooms, and such. She then asked me what my perfect house was. My reply? A fifteen car garage with a loft. Am I asking for too much?

Good call on the loft. You might have to sleep there. Alone...

This popped up yesterday and has the Atom world upside down. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Replica-Kit-Makes-Ariel-Atom-Replica-Ariel-Atom-REPLICA-KIT-/121076484209?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item1c30b88871 These are the frames and parts from the ill fated Chinese factory being imported through someone in Portland. Yeah drama on the Atom forum, kind of missed the drama of old ....

I wouldn't buy one. Look at the welds and then compare them with what you see on the real deal. If I wanted something that would go as fast as an Atom, I would want a little more confidance in the fabrications.

Have you done KAR120C with dish hubcaps from "The Prisoner?" I'd love to see that. My all-time favorite TV series. The series began filming in 1966, so I assume the car is that vintage or slightly older.

Picture4_zpsefbcf768.png

Edited by sjordan2

I haven't done a Prisoner car yet (it is a Lotus), but I have thought about doing a modern Caterham in 1/12th taking cues from it. I doubt I would use the dog dish wheels though. And tires would be much wider too. If I were to do a true replica of it, I'd do it in 1/24th.

Yup. Wheel and tire mastering work has me shaking my head...

Have you done KAR120C with dish hubcaps from "The Prisoner?" I'd love to see that. My all-time favorite TV series. The series began filming in 1966, so I assume the car is that vintage or slightly older.

Picture4_zpsefbcf768.png

Duuude. I madly MADLY love this series! My absolute favorite of the late '60s and possibly all time, and yes, it takes a powerhouse to knock Star Trek from that perch for me.

I don't think there's ever been a single episode of network TV as intense as "Once Upon A Time", before or since.

Yup. Wheel and tire mastering work has me shaking my head...

Duuude. I madly MADLY love this series! My absolute favorite of the late '60s and possibly all time, and yes, it takes a powerhouse to knock Star Trek from that perch for me.

I don't think there's ever been a single episode of network TV as intense as "Once Upon A Time", before or since.

Complete history and episode guide:

http://www.amazon.com/Prisoner-Dave-Rogers/dp/1566191637/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1362604917&sr=1-2&keywords=the+prisoner+dave+rogers

The shows are available on DVD and on Hulu at The Prisoner 1967. The recent remake was weak. The Lotus only appeared in the first episode and the finale, but was in the same titles in all episodes.

Edited by sjordan2

Define "possible"... says the guy completely scratch-building one... B)

Even with the full wing / fendered 1/12 Caterham which is visually closest looking to the Prisoner car from the three available kits, a LOT of things would have to be modified to make it into a Lotus of that vintage.

Think of it as akin to trying to make a 1970 Challenger replica using a 2012 Challenger kit.

The best choice is to do it in 1/24, the Tamiya kit would be a great start with the main change I see being the wheels. The kit rims are similar, but to capture that car I think they'd need to be replaced. I think the kit tires, while not exactly the same, are probably close enough. Or, you could just make a new set of tires too...

Define "possible"... says the guy completely scratch-building one... B)

The best choice is to do it in 1/24, the Tamiya kit would be a great start with the main change I see being the wheels. The kit rims are similar, but to capture that car I think they'd need to be replaced. I think the kit tires, while not exactly the same, are probably close enough. Or, you could just make a new set of tires too...

I believe the Prisoner car has Lotus Elan wheels, correct? (I think you may have told me that yourself, Mark). I've wanted to do a Prisoner Lotus forever - I've got the Tamiya 1/24 kit and recently picked up a Gunze Elan for the wheels. I'm going to end up casting at least one wheel (for the spare) - or maybe five if I don't want to end up with a wheel-less Elan kit.

And by the way, what's the correct color for the Prisoner car?

I think is just BRG overall. I thought the nose was yellow, (I would use Testors Dark Yellow). But a good friend of mine seems confident the nose is bright orange. Could be the difference in T.V. and computer monitors...?

I believe the Prisoner car has Lotus Elan wheels, correct? (I think you may have told me that yourself, Mark). I've wanted to do a Prisoner Lotus forever - I've got the Tamiya 1/24 kit and recently picked up a Gunze Elan for the wheels. I'm going to end up casting at least one wheel (for the spare) - or maybe five if I don't want to end up with a wheel-less Elan kit.

The original Prisoner car was black with a yellow nose, the wheels are correct out of the Gunze Elan, but use the hubcaps from the Tamiya version,

The color scheme is typical Lotus -- yellow nose, dark green overall (tends to look black), with a red interior, which you can see in post #232.

Some more pictures and background:

http://www.theunmutual.co.uk/lotus7.htm

According to one source, "The real KAR 120C had been Cosworth 1500 powered." Is that the engine in the Tamiya kit? If not, where would you find one?

EDIT:

I answered my own question. "The Lotus Super Seven, modelled here by Tamiya was powered by a Ford Cosworth 4 cylinder 1.3 liter engine using two dual throated Weber carburetors, which produced 83 BHP at 6000 RPM."

Nice build journal describing the Tamiya kit:

http://www.modelersite.com/Dic2012/English/Lotus7_eng.htm

Sorry to hijack. Now, back to this scratch-built masterpiece.

Edited by sjordan2

Well, there you go Skip. You can use the Tamiya 1/12 Caterham to build a copy of the limited edition Prisoner car. It would pretty much just be a paint job and some license plates.

But to me it does not capture the svelte or vintage look of the T.V show car.

The 1/24th kit has the 1300 engine. I am not familiar enough with those particular engines to know if it looks the same as the 1500, (like a smalll block Chevy can be a 302, 327, 350... in scale without changing the parts).

Edited by Scale-Master

Well, there you go Skip. You can use the Tamiya 1/12 Caterham to build a copy of the limited edition Prisoner car. It would pretty much just be a paint job and some license plates.

But to me it does not capture the svelte or vintage look of the T.V show car.

The 1/24th kit has the 1300 engine. I am not familiar enough with those particular engines to know if it looks the same as the 1500, (like a smalll block Chevy can be a 302, 327, 350... in scale without changing the parts).

The 1500 had a slightly taller block, but in 1/24th scale your not going to notice the difference, the Cosworth 1340 was a short sroke version of the Ford 997 c.c engine