Model Cars Magazine Forum

Nightmare Kits CBP - aka Masochistic Modelers Anonymous

Jantrix

Ok ,Well it's a General Lee with a hose and wing to glue on. :blink:

I'll get some pictures of what I got this week end.

Pat, don't forget that the grille in that crappy nose piece is off center, the only thing that kit is good for is recycling into a new kit as far as I'm concerned!

SamsDuster1001-vi.jpg

Edited by Custom Mike

I may get in on this once I get my Glue Bomb Invitational build done. :lol: It's currently on the bench and I'm planning on it not coming off until it's finished. I have it around 90% finished. The last 10% is killing me though! I'm kinda leaning toward the MPC Firefighter Mustang. It's been calling to me lately for some reason. But, I'll see when the time comes to get started. I also have an old JoHan '72 Torino that I'm planning on doing a detailed build with using the Revell '70 Torino Cobra.

O.K., I'm in with a Monogram '39 Chevy coupe. Exhaust and gas tank molded to frame; Body and floor pan refuse to get along; No detail on interior door panels - and I don't mean poor detail, I mean zero-zip-zilch-nadda smooth black plastic; Engine kinda looks like an early ZL-1 if you tilt your head and rub Vaseline on your glasses; Headers look like a pile of melted P.V.C. under a wet tarp. The tires and centerlines are nice, though.

I can't wait to get started!

Roger, you might want to keep in mind that Ford went to a full frame under the Torino in '72, the '70 is a unibody.

Believe it or not, closest out there are the AMT and Revell Olds Cutlass 442 frames.

Yeah, I know they went to a full frame in '72 and up. But,there's no way I'm putting a totally incorrect GM chassis under it. I'm only using parts of the '70 Torino chassis. I have a plan in mind. ;)

Shardik (a Richard Adams fan I assume) you and your Chevy are added to the roster. I'm building one now and can vouch for it's lousiness. Wait until you see the hole in the firewall for no particular reason.

You're sharp; very few people get the Richard Adams connection (it's a little less cliched than Bear or Grizzly).

Do you have a build thread for yours? Maybe I can get some ideas... on second thought, I've probably got too many ideas already :D . As for raiding other kits for parts, the problem is the scale. Everything I would want to scavenge is 1:25 and the Chevy claims to be 1:24.

I'll post some pic's of the lumps and bits tomorrow.

Edited by Shardik

You're sharp; very few people get the Richard Adams connection (it's a little less cliched than Bear or Grizzly).

Do you have a build thread for yours? Maybe I can get some ideas... on second thought, I've probably got too many ideas already :D . As for raiding other kits for parts, the problem is the scale. Everything I would want to scavenge is 1:25 and the Chevy claims to be 1:24.

Well I'll admit, I recognized Shardik from the Stephen King Dark Tower Series in which he has a great bearlike machine called Shardik, one of several literary shout out's he does to Richard Adams. I have yet to read the Richard Adams novels, but they are on my list of things to do.

The Chevy IS 1/24. If you're interested, I have a folder in my Photobucket called 39 Chevy gasser. Just a few starting pics in there now, but there will be more soon. As you know, good 1/24 parts are hard to find. I'm using the I-6 from the 1/24 '53 Chevy coupe. Wheels, tires and front axle from the 1/24 Boothill Express. How I ever accumulated such a collection of 1/24 is quite beyond me. :unsure:

A lot of Monogram from the 70's is 1/24. Do a good search on Ebay once you figure out what you are going with the kit.

I'm in with a Revell 57 Ford Ranchero, the chop top multi piece body with the wrong length doors mess of a kit. Going for a corrected to stock build.

:o Whoa. Good luck with that. I've added you to the roster.

Can I join in with one of those too? Mine is worse still because it's also a glue bomb that I built in my teens. I tried to un-chop it, but I bit off more than I could chew at the time.

My choice is the Monogram '55 Chevy. My Wife bought me three of these one time because she knew I loved '55 Chevys. I gave two of them to my kids to build. What she didn't know is that I hated this kit. List of reasons;

1. I don't like 1:24 scale, I prefer 1:25
  2. I don't like the 2 door hardtop, I prefer the 2 door post
  3. I don't like to have the hood cut open
  4. The proportions look off to me on this one, especially in the rear
  5. I don't like the bucket seats and this one doesn't have a bench
  6. I don't like the way the rear wheel openings are cut
  7. The suspension is %#^&*
  8. "Bad Man" looks good compared to this one
  9. The tires are junk
  10. And the biggest reason, no one else here wants to build it! DSC03871.jpg
Edited by rmvw guy

Rob, I have the extra custom roof that comes with the AMT '65 GTO if that would work for your project. It isn't a fastback style though. If you're interested in it, send me a PM and I'll take a photo of it for you. I found it today digging for parts and thought you might could use it.