Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Cars of Rock 'n' Roll and Country Music

CorvairJim

I love that song Justin, and I believe bandit is right, because I seen another video of it with Jesse Watson mentioned. I don't care who sings it, I was on the road for 12 years and never heard it, but I guarantee if I had, it would have helped get me down the road on those long trips! B)

Chicken lights and chrome is the ONLY way I roll! :lol:

EDIT: By the way, that "Mini KW" in the video, I have seen it in person, the pics don't do it justice! If I remember correctly, it was built on a Ford F350 or Dodge 3500 dually chassis.

EDIT #2: Sean is right, "Chicken Lights and Chrome" is sung by Jesse Watson. I was curious and checked iTunes for it, and they have it! :D

Edited by highway

I finally dug out the '63 Corvette, hogged out the extra tail lights (Couldn't find my Dremel or new blades so I hacked them out with a dull knife :lol:) but after I shot some paint they look okay. Rather than using the factory wheels I used the 5 spoke mags that came in the kit and I will be building the fuel injected 327 mill for it. Hope to add more detail but my detail supplies are running low again. Color is GM factory 1963 Silver Blue (Jan Berry's Corvette was blue).

I also dug out the Jag kit, it has been partially assembled so I will be tearing it apart soon.

Quick mock up before detail and clear on body:

DSCF0162.jpg

DSCF0161.jpg

DSCF0160.jpg

Edited by metalmulisha20@live.com

Detail and final clear on the body, painted chassis and almost finished the engine last night. I just painted the trim with chrome paint because I have been out of BMF for a while. I also used a magneto style distributor because I am out of the standard style.

DSCF0163.jpg

DSCF0164.jpg

DSCF0169.jpg

DSCF0170.jpg

One question. In the video the hearse appears stock but i have more of a sled or hotrod feel to the video. Do i build it just like in the video or can i sled or hotrod it out? i mean after all its a cartoon lol

The video doesn't matter! Build whatever the car looks like to you, within the way it's described in the song. I don't recall offhand whether they said it was a '59 for instance, but if they didn't give a year you'd have free rein to make it whatever year you wanted it to be. If the song says the car is black, then your model should be black. If the song didn't give a color and you think it should be lime green, then I guess we'll be seeing a lime green hearse! If the song doesn't tell you specifically what to build, then it's up to you.

(Personally, I kinds like the idea of a rodded black '59 Caddy. On the other hand, I have a chopped '66 hearse in progress in my workroom at the moment too... Really! :lol: )

Sam, that split-window is looking SWEET! The driver probably won't be listening to that Wonder-Bar radio much, though, with no shielding on the distributor or ignition wiring... That really doesn't matter - in a car like that, the engine makes all the music you'll ever need. You did a great job opening up those extra taillights too. They look perfectly sized and spaced to me, like the car came from the factory that way.I have fond memories of that kit. It was one of the first ones I ever built, back when I was about 12 years old. I later screwed it up trying to transform it into a Grand Sport replica. On the other hand, I do have one still in the box just waiting for the inspiration to strike.

"...and all the Jag could see were my six tail lights..."

Okay, one of the three entries is finished, I hope tomorrow I can pick up some BMF and some wire to get going on the other two. This kit was pretty bad as far as quality of the parts, tons of flash to remove, I was tempted to throw it out. I did a little wiring and plumbing on the engine as well as a (not great looking) throttle assembly. I also wanted to put the shield on the distributor but it didn't pan out, I might build one to fit later.The kit did not come with a throttle body, radiator hoses or a side mirror so I snagged the stuff from my parts bins. I am still waiting on new printer ink to make my license plates. I also took these photos before I put the side mirror on, but it does have one now.

DSCF0173.jpg

DSCF0177.jpg

DSCF0175.jpg

DSCF0178.jpg

DSCF0180.jpg

DSCF0182.jpg

DSCF0184.jpg

DSCF0186.jpg

DSCF0187.jpg

Edited by metalmulisha20@live.com

That's a great model, Sam! It looks to me like the typical mildly-modified Corvette that you'd see cruising the strip every Saturday night in Anytown, U.S.A., which strikes me as the way Jan Berry thought of it it. It's just the sort of thing I had in mind when I conceived this CBP: To show off the car in the song the way YOU see it. I always thought of it as a bright red '63 convertible, but making it silver blue as a tribute to Berry's actual car, undoubtedly the inspiration for the car in the song, was a stroke of genius! I think you did a great job with what has to be one of the crudest models ever to be mass-produced - I built one of them myself as a kid and even back then I was less than impressed with the kit's quality. Your engine detailing is absolutely first-rate, especially considering what you had to work with. I know that the job you did on the throttle body would be W-A-Y beyond my skill level! The other thing that stands out for me was your dry brush work on the instrument panel... WOW!

So congratulations on having the first finished entry in the Rock 'n' Roll/Country Music CBP! I'm looking forward to seeing the finished entries from the other guys. Hopefully I'll have my entries in a couple of other CBP's finished soon and be able to devote some time to the one I'm doing for THIS one! B)

(Hmmm... Maybe I'll have to do my red '63 Sting Ray convertible idea for "Shut Down"... I'll let my "Little Old Lady From Pasadena" Dodge do double duty as the '413' from that song... :lol: )

Edited by CorvairJim

A lil update here. I have actually gotten a lot done, but it's hard to tell. The Ardun flattie is in, it will have three deuces and the air cleaner from the the '49 Ford. I'll wire and plumb for ignition, fuel and coolant. The cab has a 4" scale chop.

004.jpg

A lil update here. I have actually gotten a lot done, but it's hard to tell. The Ardun flattie is in, it will have three deuces and the air cleaner from the the '49 Ford. I'll wire and plumb for ignition, fuel and coolant. The cab has a 4" scale chop.

Looks like that's going to be one mean flat bed Ford man! Where did you get the Ardun parts?

The Revell 50 Ford F1. Very nice kit.

Hey Rob, if you have a Revell 37 Ford pickup, would you mind test fitting the hood over that Ardun mill? I am going to buy the F-1 kit this week but I wanted to know if I can use the OHV heads on my 37 without slicing up the hood. Either way, thanks in advance!

Definitely not the garden-variety "Flatbed Ford"! This is shaping up to be one cool build.

Yeah. I don't do "garden variety" anything when it comes to models. Originality counts.

Hey Rob, if you have a Revell 37 Ford pickup, would you mind test fitting the hood over that Ardun mill? I am going to buy the F-1 kit this week but I wanted to know if I can use the OHV heads on my 37 without slicing up the hood. Either way, thanks in advance!

Metal, I do not yet own the '37. I've had it in my hot lil hand a few times now, but when I remember the kits at home yet awaiting my attention, I put it back down. Darn self control! I will do this for ya though. The outside edges of those Ardun heads are 31 millimeters apart. That should allow you to measure against the hood sides on your '37.

Another update. Flatbed fabricated. Running boards removed. Spare tire well filled.

002-1.jpg

004-1.jpg

001-1.jpg

Further plans. The open areas beneath the flatbed (sides & rear) will be filled with wood panels and then the whole shooting match will be stained using a conbination of acrylic craft paints. Running boards will also be wood and stained to match. Still kicking around the gas tank and the stake sides. I have some trick tail lights planned and mud flaps seem appropriate here. The interior will be functional, nothing fancy. I'm torn between using a bench seat with a mexican blanket or a pair of pony seats. I have a nice banjo steering wheel that should work well.

More soon.

Edited by Jantrix

I have decided to lower that bed a bit. Probably about 6 mils, leaving 4 mils between the deck and tires.

I agree. I thought it looked a bit high too, but I don't like to criticize other guys builds. I just thought you had your reasons to put it up there like that.

got a little bit of work done on the monte

i primered the body

then applied some paint and did my first try of the "salt/baking soda" method

ill do some more fine detailing and weathering later but heres a sneak peak

(the bungee cord is the little band that goes on the nametag you put on your baggage when you fly, painted red with a sharpie and the hooks are regular wire)

utf-8BSU1HMDAyNzEtMjAxMTA1MTUtMTc0MC5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAyNzItMjAxMTA1MTUtMTc0MC5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAyNzMtMjAxMTA1MTUtMTc0MC5qcGc.jpg

got a little bit of work done on the monte

i primered the body

then applied some paint and did my first try of the "salt/baking soda" method

ill do some more fine detailing and weathering later but heres a sneak peak

(the bungee cord is the little band that goes on the nametag you put on your baggage when you fly, painted red with a sharpie and the hooks are regular wire)

utf-8BSU1HMDAyNzEtMjAxMTA1MTUtMTc0MC5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAyNzItMjAxMTA1MTUtMTc0MC5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAyNzMtMjAxMTA1MTUtMTc0MC5qcGc.jpg

that's looking awesome mate, what song were you doing again?