Model Cars Magazine Forum

'28 Ford Model A sedan

2002p51

I recently bought this original AMT '28 Ford sedan on eBay. I always liked this kit.

ModelA01-vi.jpg

It had a few tire burns in it, (you can see the remains of the worst one on the visor above the windshield) but overall it was in great, unbuilt condition.

ModelA02-vi.jpg

I basically combined this kit with a Revell '32 Ford 5-window coupe. I used the suspension and running gear, wheels and tires, engine, taillights, etc. from the '32.

Paint is Sign Painter's One Shot "Bright Red". The top and interior look white in the photos but it's really Testors "Radome Tan" which is a nice vanilla looking yellow/tan color.

ModelA03-vi.jpg

I used the seat, door panels, and '40 Ford steering wheel from the '32 kit. Seat belts and pedals are scratchbuilt.

ModelA04-vi.jpg

Finally, the small block Ford with it's C4 automatic transmission from the Revell '32 is in there and is just as it comes out of the box.

And that's it. I'm really satisfied with this one and like the way it turned out. Of course, the fact that the Model A Ford is among my favorite cars doesn't hurt any! :lol:

As usual, comments and criticisms are welcome and encouraged.

Looks HOT Drew!!!

May I ask though, why you went to such great lengths to get that slick red finish, and NOT fill the flaw on the visor prior to?

Actually, that "slick red finish" was easy. Fixing the visor was not.

As I mentioned, the paint is One Shot and that's how it comes out straight from the airbrush with no polishing or any of that fooling around. So I didn't go to any great lengths at all. :)

The tire burn on the visor was much worse than what's left of it and I only have so much patience for filling and sanding and such and since this is "just" a shelf model, built for my own amusement, it's good enough.

really nice streetrod...i 4got all about one shot paint...gonna see if i can find some here in Fla.... B)

If you can't find it, it's available on line from Eastwood and others:

http://search.eastwood.com/search?w=One+Shot

Don't choke on the price, one of those 1/2 pint cans will literally last you forever. I have cans of One Shot that are over 30 years old and the paint is still good. I kid you not. The paint on the Model A is at least that old.

One Shot is enamel and there are some in this hobby who won't like that. Because it's designed for use by sign painters and pinstripers, it dries very, very slowly. This enables brush strokes to flow out.

When shot through an airbrush it requires a minimum of 48 hours before you can even think about touching it. But the longer you can leave it alone the better. I let the paint on the Model A dry for a full week before I did anything with it.

The advantages are the smooth glossy finish that you can see in the photos with no polishing, it thins with plain old hardware store paint thinner, and the white absolutely will not turn yellow over time like so many hobby paints do.