Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale VW Stuff............

ajwheels

This is another of those ideas that I get started on and am never sure how far I will take it, but since this one has gotten a bit along, I thought I would post it up...........

I have always liked the VW-based fiberglass-bodied dune buggies, and by extension, the tube-framed sand rails and such.......I like the mechanical stuff, and these cars have it all hanging right out there...............

Here, in 1/16 scale is a frame, based on the aftermarket pieces out there.............pretty much the stock VW pan shortened 14.25 inches or so, and will take the stock early Beetle front and rear suspension parts...............

post-4885-0-05551300-1371908076_thumb.jp

My original intent is to do a Meyers Manx-type body, but I have never been real happy with the bodies I have done, so not sure if I will get that far...........and since this is based around the stock VW pan, I have a version of this frame with the stock wheelbase, so I might use it with the Revell 1/16 scale Kafer Beetle kit.............lots of possibilities there...............

We shall see.....................

Edited by ajwheels

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there well the build you have there looks perfect so far.But did you know in the old days guys shorten the vw bug pan? If you need so advise on building a fibre glass buggy body or any thing related feel free to message me.

Tony... when will have so.e of these parts for sale?

Well, Chris, at this point it's just me goofing around with these parts..........and I have a few reservations......there are a few aspects to these pieces at 1/16 scale that make them a bit fragile...........we've had no discussion within TDR as to whether to offer them for sale or not..........now, if someone just has to have them, they could send me a PM and we could talk about it...............

Here is a neat example of a 3D printed part..........this is the floor for Manx frame...........it is .02 inches thick and because most of its' surfaces are flat and perpendicular to each other, there is almost no evidence of layering on the part............

post-4885-0-79346300-1374235826_thumb.jp

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

will this kit fit into the Revell 52 VW ?

Santiago.............this frame is based on an aftermarket piece intended to be used under a Meyers Manx style body, and thus has a shorter wheelbase than the stock beetle..............the 1/16 Revell beetle kit is reasonably accurate to scale, so these piece parts should be adaptable..............