Model Cars Magazine Forum

Adventures in soldering:Hot Rod Wrecker Project Update 2/1/15

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Folks,

Steven, thanks for commenting!

Hi Bill, Thank you my friend, I continue to marvel at what your doing!!

Hello Luis, Appreciate your comment.

Hey Pete, Thank you and enjoyed getting caught up with your 'Black Knight'

Thanks Derick!

Hi Clay, Yeah, I'm building a dio to display this thing and that's my 'lego lathe'

Thank you Fred!

Thanks Bill G.

Hi Andy, Thank you and I need to take lessons from you on keeping the bench clean!

Hi Richard, thanks buddy, you are killing that garage!

update,

Working on the doors, had to use real glass so I could solder them together, made up some handles from ally....

Ref. pic to show the inside of the doors...

003_zps33940959.jpg

002_zps18ff2f87.jpg

011_zps62b910fc.jpg

more....

it's probably a good that I most likely will never get to see this in person because I would inevitably spend close to half a day looking at it and saying "WOW" at all the amazing work and details you have created on this build.

BRAVO sir!

001_zpsc6cc35dc.jpgHi Folks,

Thank you Mike C.

Pete, Appreciate the kind words but pretty much just build for me :):)

Hey Joe, Thanks buddy!

Hi mike M, Glad you like it.

Thanks Riley!!

Custom Mike, Thank you sir!

Thanks Bill.

Hello Sergy, Thank you and I learn alot from your Big Rig build !!

Thanks Derrick :D:D

Just a quick reply to an email I received asking about the real glass....

It is microscope slide covers.

001_zpsc6cc35dc.jpg

002_zps81b157ad.jpg

003_zpsaf6097af.jpg

006_zps68bcb5fb.jpg

You scribe a line with the carbibe tip tool and snap it apart. I use the flat side of a moto tool cutoff wheel, diamond kind, as sand paper to smooth the edge if it does not break clean.

I was hoping to get more of a real glass reflection over the typical clear styrene but to tell the truth I don't think it was worth the effort.

If your are interested I get mine from.....www.cloverhouse.com

Thanks,

randy

Man, I just love this truck, Randy. The variations in raw metal work so well together. Topped off with your skill and workmanship, it's just an unbelievable feast for the eyes.

I picked up some similar glass a while back for my Model-T. I found a 100 piece pack, slightly thinner at .005" for a pretty decent price at a local school science store. I broke several pieces trying to cut them with a traditional glass cutting wheel. Then, with some googling, I found that the trick is the carbide tipped scribe. That works quite well. The diamond wheel sounds like a good idea for smoothing the edges.

Thanks for sharing. Every part on this truck is a modeling lesson on it's own.

Edited by Alyn

Not to offend anyone else here on the forum...but this has to be the coolest thing to ever be built here in regards to sheer detailing. I came across this thread just before the break in the build and was hoping it would end up finished, because I couldn't find the thread until today. This is simply amazing!!

Randy - By using glass, can it stand heating for soldering, such as a closed frame like a model T? I understand the desire for a real glass reflection, but I have not been pleased with just having the piece glued into a frame with no back structure. What do you think?

Edited by Pete J.

hi Randy, more unrealistic work I see, it looks like you are about to wrap up the cab and chassis, I love the fact you put a big block mopar under the hood instead of a more common power plant, it just adds to the over all uniqueness of the build, the quality of craftsmanship is unreal my friend!!, excuse me now while I take my stuff outside and back over it with my car :(

Hi Pete, Hope so :):) Planing on using it for my front windows with it being captured in a frame. I did put a torch too it just for fun and actually got it to curve. Thought it would only be good for flat applications but maybe not!

Randy

Hi Pete, Hope so :):) Planing on using it for my front windows with it being captured in a frame. I did put a torch too it just for fun and actually got it to curve. Thought it would only be good for flat applications but maybe not!

Randy

Hmmmmmmm........a new material to tackle. Have to get me some of these. It would be nice to have a clear material that you could throw into some acetone to clean.

Ok, just orders some. They are cheap enough at $5.50 for a box of 100. That way I can break a few while learning about them and not worry about it.

Edited by Pete J.