Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Moebius Ford Pick-ups 1971 Ranger XLT AND 1969 Custom SWB

SteveG

Thanks Dave, no worries on the time, it'll be all good when I get a few in my grubby little hands!!!! My wife and I have a 68 F100 with a 390 and factory bucket seats. So I am wanting to get a few to play with.......

As they say, good things come to those who wait! I sure wish Revell would have taken a little longer to make thier 1990 Mustang LX kit more accurate!!!! I'm more than willing to wait for a kit to be as close to perfect as possible!

Hope to have tooling underway by early July- expecting final mock-up before end of June. Hope to have kits on shelves end of 3rd quarter - early 4th quarter.. Sorry it's taking so long - just lots of details to make right.

Dave

Dave,

Thanks for the update and like others, I am saving up for a few of these kits. If the test shots indicate what we should expect, then I am in for about 6 of each!

And a big thank you for working hard on these kits to make them as accurate as possible. I am sure someone will find something wrong with them but I know that Mobeius has worked hard to bring us subjects long overlooked by other manufacturers and I would rather have something than nothing! Maybe I am in the minority but this is only a hobby for me, not life and death! ;)

Dave,

Thanks for the update and like others, I am saving up for a few of these kits. If the test shots indicate what we should expect, then I am in for about 6 of each!

And a big thank you for working hard on these kits to make them as accurate as possible. I am sure someone will find something wrong with them but I know that Mobeius has worked hard to bring us subjects long overlooked by other manufacturers and I would rather have something than nothing! Maybe I am in the minority but this is only a hobby for me, not life and death! ;)

Amen, no rivet counter here, just glad to get the subjects we're getting....

I am amazed at how polarizing this "rivet counter" thing has become. I find nothing wrong with people enjoying kits even if they're not perfect, and I find nothing wrong with people pointing out inaccuracies. Is there a belief out there that one of these positions is "right", and the other "wrong"? What's up with this?

I am amazed at how polarizing this "rivet counter" thing has become. I find nothing wrong with people enjoying kits even if they're not perfect, and I find nothing wrong with people pointing out inaccuracies. Is there a belief out there that one of these positions is "right", and the other "wrong"? What's up with this?

Tom,

I am with you on this, I was merely stating that despite their best efforts, there will be some nits to be picked by some forum members here over what Mobeius brings to market. I think the the problem is that some folks rant on and on about the issues they find as if it were life or death.

Simply put, should a model manufacturer be able to create a "perfect" model with today's technologies? Short answer is yes but then again I don't work for Mobeius, Round 2 , Revell etc., and am not privy to what tools they are using to create the molds to produce the kits and neither do most of the members here. ;)

I, for one, am glad to see a long overlooked subject come to market and only hope they find other "gems" that will satisfy our needs! :)

Given the constraints of the casting process, I'm sure not expecting everything to be a hundred percent but I'm betting Dave and the others mastering this will be getting it as close as possible. There were corrections to the mockups needed but nothing insurmountable. As events have proven out regarding the mustang kit, the roof/envelope proportion is the largest portion of the battle. Other stuff can be forgiven. The average modeller probably doesn't care but some of us look forward to at least a small challenge to help us become better modellers...

mike

Edited by mk11

I, for one, am not at all concerned about whether or not this will be a "quality" kit. Judging from what Moebius has brought us in the past, I am sure that this kit will be right, and I can't wait for it, and I will be building it when it hits my grubby hands. I already have plans for it, down to the color combo.

Back in 1982, I sold a customer a loaded, Red on Red Chevrolet Silverado Pickup. His trade in was an immaculate 1970 Ford F100 Sport Custom Pickup, which was a medium blue, with a white two-tone bottom and roof panel, and blue interior. I only wish I had a place to put that truck, and I would have bought it on the spot, even though I am not a Ford guy. That was one nice truck.

Left%20Side%20Truck.jpg

It was just like this one, except that it had whitewall tires.

It seems to me that this one of those kits most of us will be buying in multiples to do some interesting variants.

I only hope that if Mobius does not do any more variants, then the aftermarket can do some resin parts, such as a 4x4 front drive axle and raised rear suspension for a H-D 4-wheel drive truck.

A comprehensive, deatailed photoetch set would also be welcome.

For the "super detailers among us, here are a couple of links that will be very helpful in planning your build:

1969 Ford Pickup Brochure:

http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/static/NA/FMC%20Trucks-Vans/1969_Trucks-Vans/1969_Ford_Pickup_Brochure/dirindex.html

1971 Ford Pickup Brochure:

http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/static/NA/FMC%20Trucks-Vans/1971_Trucks-Vans/1971_Ford_Pickup_Brochure/dirindex.html

In looking at some of the photo Illustrations in these brochures, if you wanted to do the Bucket Seat option, the Revell '68 Mustang GT 2 'n 1 kit will give you the right seats.

The original AMT '67 Ford Galaxie had the proper Full Wheel Covers, if you want to do something different. Also, the original AMT '69 Cobra had the proper 1/2 ton dog dish hubcaps. You are on your own for a set of steelies.

Most of the AMT Ford Van kits, as well as the AMT 1970's Ford pick up kit has the alternative full wheel covers.

The AMT '53 Ford can yield an accurate "Flareside" bed, with a little modification.

Just a few ideas.

I am all levels of excited for this kit. I would LOVE to get a few copies of that sport wheel cover option for other big Ford cars I have waiting on que.

The '67 to '79 Ford truck ear is a HUGE market for so many niches, mine being replica stock. Now if we can get the little and big Broncos from '66 to '79.......

ANY chance these will have an actual company logo on the tires?

I know that the big boys like Firestone, Goodyear etc, may not be cost effective, but SURELY some of the smaller companies would love to have the chance to see their tires in scale.

If there are licensing problems with tire manufacturers why not go with METZNER or MOEBIUS tires?

ANY chance these will have an actual company logo on the tires?

I know that the big boys like Firestone, Goodyear etc, may not be cost effective, but SURELY some of the smaller companies would love to have the chance to see their tires in scale.

I have a Meng 1:35 scale Toyota Hilux kit. The tires are Dunlcp, I kid you not. B)

You're right , Ron ; that "Flareside" bed was the same from 1953 - 1979 !

At some point in the 70s I think it was the top of the bed sides were flattened from the earlier angled version to allow the mounting of an aftermarket cap. Also, the bed sides are taller on the 70s beds than the 50s-60s versions.

I have a Meng 1:35 scale Toyota Hilux kit. The tires are Dunlcp, I kid you not. B)

At some point in the 70s I think it was the top of the bed sides were flattened from the earlier angled version to allow the mounting of an aftermarket cap. Also, the bed sides are taller on the 70s beds than the 50s-60s versions.

I did say "with a little modification". The bed is a good place to start if you want the "flareside".

If there are licensing problems with tire manufacturers why not go with METZNER or MOEBIUS tires?

That is a great idea! I just get tires of seeing plain sidewalls, so a make-believe company would even be preferred. If not, I still think there are companies that would let you mold their tires for a reasonable amount, maybe Hancook for cars, or Generals for trucks etc.

You're right , Ron ; that "Flareside" bed was the same from 1953 - 1979 !

The run on those short flaresides was just up to '72. More details here from post 126 on this thread:

{ Don't know how many of you guys have seen this, but about fifteen years ago the boys at sae put together a Ford truck model history.

http://www.fordifica...php?f=2&t=37394

Great reference.

As far as the short flareside boxes go, the design used on the sixties trucks ran from 53-72. Ford actually dropped the short flareside from 73-75 as they had widened the rear axle and frame in '73 and the early box was too narrow. They continued to use the eight foot flareside, though, which was wider and taller. For '76, they decided to issue a shortened version of this box. The tall flared box sides were only used in '76, the tops were flattened for '77. This is the design that ran through the eighties, with only a change to the squared off fenders from the rounded ones in 80. Therefore, to build a short pre-73 flareside, the boxes from revells 56, monograms 55 and amts 53 can be used. The boxes from monograms 80-up shortbox and the revell night rider truck could be used to build an accurate 77-79 flareside with just a change of fenders }

mike

Edited by mk11

Actually, there a couple of "Minor " changes on the sides of the Ford Flair side . Granted the Fenders , well, the outer fenders date back to 1953. The bed sides changed I think around 1975. That was done so that camper shells would fit better . The obvious changes were the Flat tops on the sides and a widened bed overall. I found that out when I had to buy a tailgate for my 78..........

• 4 weeks later...