Model Cars Magazine Forum

1933 MG K3 build challenge

kennb

I would like to issue a challenge to all the forum.

This is to build from scratch a 1933 MG K3 as shown in the following image. I chose this car because it has many easy to do shapes and uses a variety

of different techniques to make the shapes required. It is a fairly simple car and does not have a lot of parts like the Saloon I am working on.

This can be done in under 45 days but I will use a 45 day time line and break each part done to about a 1 to 2 hour segment that I give everyone about 3 to 4 days to do so that you dont have to devote all your time to this.

The point of this is to get you into scratch building with simple tools. I dont expect museum quality final project but rather something you can say you did from scratch. This may be the only one you ever do but the techniques that are used can be used in kit building and modifying.

MG-K3_zpsac5760bd.jpg

I would like at least 3 to 4 people to build with me and post pictures to this thread on the progress. Let me know who you are and I plan to start in about 2 to 3 weeks. The first part will be research which you can do before then to see if you would like to go along with me on this journey.

Kenn

Edited by kennb

Hey Kenn,

This looks a lot like a "community build" type of challenge, this thread may get moved there to go along with all the other community build challenges

By the way, I really enjoy seeing how you wrestle amazing cars from raw plastic, BRAVO!

Mike

Edited by blunc

The K3 is going to be approached an entirely different way. I am working on the photos now setting up short tutorials for each section as we go, showing as many steps as possible and showing how to make specific jigs as I need them. I am going to start differently also in as I am going to be working the frame first and get a rolling chassis before I do the body.

Now for the drawing that are going to be used. They are printable on 81/2x11 paper and the wheel base should be about 4 and 3/8". I always pring off about 6 copies since I will be cutting them up. All this is in preperation for the build that will start in about 10 days, I will be posting a materials and equipment list in the next post in a day or so. Thank you for following, :huh:

mg-k3-1933_zps8ec6dca4.gif

Plans are available on the net except for the chassis. I will be posting that next week sometime. If you can find a chassis drawing (I do have one in my warehouse someplace) I would appreciate forwarding me a copy. :P

I hope that at least 1 or 2 people take up the challage and build along with me. I will be going very slow on this K3 build to give you time to get each part done. I will post times required for each part if I remember to time it. No part will take more than 2 hours at a time. :rolleyes:

Thank you for your support on the Salloon build, it is getting close to finishing. B)

Kenn :)

This challenge sounds like a great idea Kenn. I've scratchbuilt four trucks now, but I've still had to rely on some kit parts such as engines wheels tyres etc,to finish them. I've considered building cars from scratch so Id like to jump in on this one. I doubt Ill make the deadline because I'm a full time dad which means I've only got a few hours at night where I can build,but, count me in.

Nice to see that you will take the tme to do what you can. The nice thing about the forum is that if you miss some or need to take more time you can come back and go over things that you missed. By no means do you have to finish when I do. I am alone and have a job that takes 12 hours a week and nothing else to do so I spend a lot of time on different hobbies, Being a dad takes a lot of time, so it is totally understandable,

I will, of course, be building the tires and engine and all from scratch so it will be a great experience.

Kenn :rolleyes:

I find this hobby is a good way to wind down and relax . Drawing custom cars and hot rods was my consuming passion for years, but building them in scale now is much more satisfying in the end.. This will be a great learning curve for being able to take my builds to another level from the knowledge gained by jumping in on this. By the way, the build subject is DEFINITELY not my cup of tea but there are a lot of neat little details in that car.

It may not be something that you would like to see but I choose this car for the fact it is not diffeicult but has a lot of interesting parts that we will build. All of it can tranfer over to trucks and maybe into some territory or trucks that you have wanted to build but due to some of the compexities you have by passed. The concepts we will cover are very transferable to anything. Some of the problem solves that we will cover and how we overcome some of the challenges will be of great value. If you noticed on the Saloon build I tackled the wire wheels no having a clue how to do it..I showed all the goof ups and wrong truns and showed even the junk, but the process leed to the final product which is reprocable easily and quickly now that I have gained the skills to do it. The process of finding out how to do things will help out in your endevers and, like me, lead to better models.

Kennb :rolleyes:

You are exactly right. I can see the build for what its worth and what it will take to get results. There. will be lots of stuff Ill be able to use for other builds in the future that will be easier from what well be doing here. I've been watching your Saloon thread closely and the fact you laced your wire wheels blew me away. You did a top job with them. That's what this hobby is all about, getting in and having a go.

I found a drawing of the chassis which will do the job. :rolleyes: This does not need to be printed because all the information for size can be derived directly from the other drawings.

Keep this link for reference to all the information posted.

http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/shutter-bug1/library/1933%20MG%20K3?

Here is the chassis drawing.

maten-chassis-068_zps45b6d4d4.gif

Now for a list of materials and eqhipment you will need to make this model. This is what I use for all my models.

DSCN3776_zps079bbf81.jpg

Needle files, dental picks or similar, some needle nose pliars and wire cutters,exacto knife and #11 blades,scale(wood ruler will work), a razor saw, some clamps, tweezers pencil and sandpaper(220 to 600) You also need the plastic inside from a tape dispenser, cut as shown.

DSCN3746_zpseedbf79d.jpg

DSCN3777_zps51202c5b.jpg

Plastic tubes (Tubes for all sizes are best, I have some solids and they can be used. .40 plastic sheet and .20 plastic sheet. You can get those from the hobby shop or order 4'x8' sheets like I do. If you need more on this I will post further details.

DSCN3778_zpsafe22143.jpg

Wire wheel template. It is 6" diameter divided into 32 sections> I used thick plywood 1/2" will do just fine. You will need this for the first part of the challenge.

The template may take about an hour to put together. I used small brass brads I had from building my trains but anthing small will work. A hobbyshop should have them.

I will be posting more information prior to starting the build and answer any questions you may have.

Kenn :rolleyes:

Edited by kennb

I will start the build today with the tires, I will be posting all the steps later today. You will be needing some liquid plastic cement, .40 or similar plastic 9"x10" roughly, one tape dispenser empty spool and exacto knife, and some sandpaper,(400 to 600 wet or dry).

DSCN3736_zps46fa7c33.jpg

This should be about 2 hour section but I will give you several days :)

Kenn B)

Section 1....wheels

We will start with the treads since that is the hardest part of the construction, we will scrib the lines before we cut it into strips.

This strip will be about 3/8" wide with scrib lines about 1/16" apart all parallel then cut the strip. (See photo). You will need a total of 3 strip like this 9" long.

Then cut 3 more strips 9" long the same width 3/8". You will also need 6 strips 9" long 5/16" wide.

DSCN3793_zps4f96033e.jpg

DSCN3792_zps2d59ad98.jpg

Take the wider strips and cut to fit tight inside the tape dispenser plastic, do not glue.

DSCN3745_zps51a3b2e8.jpg

cut a second of the wider strips to fit tight inside the first and glue them together using liquid cement, you have to do this quickly since the glue drys fast. Make sure the sides are lined up even.

DSCN3794_zps5ef495eb.jpg

Then take the blank 3/8" and cut to fiit inside this centered side to side, gluing it in place, then clamp and set aside until the glue is dry.

After they have set up cut the scribed strip to go around the outside centered side to side and carefully cut the ends to meet squarely.

DSCN3795_zpsc5452cfc.jpg

Clamp and set aside to dry. You need a total of 5 tires for this project. You can do as many as you want if you have enough clamps and tape spools. I have 1 so I did one at a time.

DSCN3796_zpsa531df62.jpg

If you have any questions or I did not explain enough let me know and I will try to clearify in more detail.

I will wait a few days at least before we do the wire inserts,.have fun and take your time. Each wheel is about 20 minutes without time for glue to dry.

Edited by kennb

Ken

You certainly have my interest here. I have wanted to build a couple models that are not, and never will be available in kit form in 1/24 scale. Perhaps if I can tag along here...I plan to take you up on your challenge and see what I can do.

My interests by the way? '29 Ruxton Roadster, '13 Mercer J-35, 33 Marmon V-16 an d'29 Franklin 137. We'll see!

I am off to the hobby store on Thursday and may lag behind but will try to get caught up.

Eric

Eric...thanks for joining in.....take your time in catching up. I am taking a lot of time between parts to give everyone plenty of time to complete each part.

Section 2....wire wheel template.

YOU WILL NEED A 6 1/2 " SQUARE BOARD some brades a straight edge and pencil.

DSCN3778_zpsafe22143.jpg

start buy dividing the board into 4 sections like a pie, then 8 sections. when you have eight sections divide each into 3 sections. this will give you 32 sections. you can do muliples of 2..i.e. 28,30,32,,,,,,,,32 seems to work the best for me.

then at the center build it up with 2 or 3 pieces of .40 sheet plastic and put a small finish nail in the center. the othe pegs are alignment pegs that will be determined by the size of wire wheel. we will get into that next. this may take a few hours to get right,,,,take your time and be patient,

thanks for following

Kenn

Section 3 three Now lets get to lacing.

You will need to make the center hub and 2 rings,one round rod and one flat. the center hub can be made in a few parts. This is the part that will slide onto the axels. The rings are cut to length to go inside the tires we made and superglued and let sit over night. I use some wax paper as a barrier between the tire and ring we are glueing. This keeps them from adhearing to the tires permently. :P use strands of speaker wire...wire from electrical cords is too heavy.

DSCN3642_zps857bd1d7.jpg

DSCN3703_zps2362d4fa.jpg

Notice the center of the lacing board is built up. I have since added centering pegs so each wire is the same and the outer(flat) ring will center over the rod ring easier.

Start to lace by tying off a wire and going to the center , around the center counter clockwise and to peg 3 ( skipping ever other peg) and continue around. You may want to tape every few laces as you go. Plull the wire snugg but not tight.

DSCN3758_zps3f27c72a.jpg

DSCN3702_zpsab527442.jpg

DSCN3717_zps3ac7f5a3.jpg

Again i used wax paper in the center wher we are glueing to reduce the chances of glueing everything to the lacing board. :)

the second row of lacing goes to the pegs you skipped on the first round, again ever other peg is used so that when you have all the laces done each peg is used.

DSCN3718_zpsfde42b71.jpg

The whole thing is taped down so all the wires have contact with the rod, sparingly super glue around the wires and set the outer ring in place and hold down tight for about 1 minute, then put a weight over the top untill the super glue sets, about 1 hour,

This should take about an hour for the first wire...you may want to do a few to get the hang of things before you do the finals.

Have fun :D

Edited by kennb

So, the first go around goes to the lower part of the hub and the second go around goes to the upper part of the hub? I may have to go find a piece of wood to try this out! I do want to participate, but I have a few older projects that I am trying to clear from the queue!

Tony...yes that is the procedure...this picture should clearify it better.....thank you for the comments and questions. Also,,there is no time limit on this challenge. If it takes 6 months it is fine.

DSCN3700_zpsb0a760ec.jpg

I would like others to post pictures of their progress tho. :rolleyes: