Model Cars Magazine Forum

Corvette Grand Sport March Madness

I went thru my stash last night..and decided that i would go ahead and build the Accurate Miniatures "1963 Corvette Grand Sport" (1965 Sebring 12-Hours) Model kit..

Did my search on here and came across this interesting thread about this subject...However i am just a bit confused...the talk about the ones on E-Bay..of this kit shows it to have a Kit Number of #424880....The Box Art appears to all be the same...But my Kit Number shows #24003..

Question: Why two different Model Kit numbers?

I have had mine for over a year....and Paid $39.99 for it back then at my LHS

And of course now that i want to build it...they are going to be easy to obtain...Go figure..

Thanks and cheers to all... Don... B)

From what I discovered on line there may be three different kits based on three different versions of the 1:1 cars. The "Prototype" with a flat or 396 style hood, the second with a scoop type (same as the AMT kit) hood and the third with the more elaborate finned type scoop.

gallery5-1.jpg1963%20Corvette%20Mecom.jpg109020588-260x260-0-0_accurate+miniatures+accurate+miniatures+corvette+g.jpg

Edited by Greg Myers

Interesting.... I have several (10 believe it or not!!!!...See my Avatar!!) of these from the original release and they are great kits... only two things I noticed on the originals .....the frame slots that need to be filled and in some cases the P.E. hood louvers can be a bit fussy but overall a really neat kit... I have one of the resin trans-kits for a roadster.... can't remember who did it but it is pretty nice as well.... maybe that will get re-cast as well..... or may it is still available???

Regards

Bill (Duntov)

Revell kit PE - in addition to the PE hood parts:

241ce67c.jpg

I just purchased the Revell kit today, and I have to say this may be one of the best deals in models. Two PE frets, lots of parts, good looking decal set (including gold tire stripes), very cool engine, and so on. $20 for this kit is a steal.

The tires are not that good - blank sidewalks and concave tread surface:

5758adec.jpg

I have this version:

1516e5a4.jpg

First issue - the one with "issues"

it has this:

ad5a7f3b.jpg

and these - sidewall detail, relatively flat tread surface, but a fairly "textured" sidewall finish:

e4107209.jpg

I paid more for this kit than the Revell - I purchased it about 2 years ago. One of the LHS in Spokane still has the AM in stock for $31 and the Revell for $19.99.

Edited by Erik Smith

I though this kit was a retooled Monogram Vette like the Sunoco one from a few years ago.

Then as I crused down this topic, I relized this was a reboxed kit by a company i've never heard of before, plus didn't know about this kit and how detailed it is untill now. In my entire 7yr span of pouring glue, I've haven't seen one of the AM kits in person, EVER.

LHS has the Revell boxed issue for $22.79, but i'll wait & see if I can get the AM issue @ NNL East for less than $20 cause prolly the revell boxed ones will be floddin' the market.

In the last few months, one of the two leading model mags (sorry, don't remember which) had a tip about filling tires with silicone. Wonder if that would help "fill out" that concave tire surface?

I'm really pleased that this kit is going over so well. It has long been one of my favourites. Just a few comments on some of the posts made in the thread.

Hoods - there were only two hood styles used on the coupes with fender flairs. The one with the louvres in the front and sides (as seen in the Revell and first AM kits) and the one with the openings only in the front (as seen in the Nassau version by AM 2-3 years ago). The AM Nassau hood is not right - Historic Racing Miniatures does make a corrected version. The hood with front and side louvers was on all three cars at Sebring, but I have seen photos of #3 (the blue Revell kit) and #4 (original white AM kit) with the side louvers taped up with tape that closely matches the body paint of each car.

The hood in the '67 coupe shown above is very similar to the Nassau hood - and is probably better done than the one originally in the AM kit intended to be the Nassau version.

The Penske Sunoco roadster (dark blue car) and Wintersteen roadster (white with blue stripe) both had hoods like the one in the Revell Penske Corvette kit. Both roadsters had L88 motors when they had those hoods.

The early cars (pre fender flairs) had 'stock' ' hoods, but with various scoops and intakes 'glassed in depending on the race. BTW - Historic Racing Miniatures has released a transkit of the early Grand Sport (pre flairs), and Vintage Racing Miniatures should have early GS decals probably in the fall sometime.

Regarding the GS kit decals - how do they look? Are they Cartograf? I do not have a kit yet and I (VRM) provided the artwork for the decals for the #3.