Model Cars Magazine Forum

what off road vehicles would you like to build?

off road vehicles  

136 members have voted

1. 1. do you have an off road vehicle you would like to build

I'm constantly surprised, give the number made, that there are not more Landcruisers kitted. Personally i'd like full detail 60 and 100 series wagons.

Tamiya kitted an 80 series but I guess it didn't sell well enough to justify doing the 100.

I'm currently building one and it's a masterpiece of plastic engineering with working suspension and steering.

The US missed out (and misses out) on a lot of cars the rest of the world gets - and Landcruisers are one. We, the US, get fully loaded comfort cruisers meant to drive kids to school and then to the before lunch Margarita meeting followed by endless soccer tournaments and practice...

I had the pleasure of renting this down under:

DSC02163_zpsf5223530.jpg

and would have loved to ship it home! Simple, solid, transportation - 6 cylinder diesel, full floating axles, snorkel, and manual windows and transmission! A base model Landcruiser would interest me in a model, too, I guess, for nostalgia.

The US market missed on Toyota four door trucks for decades, too, and not sure why.

That may be why the kits don't make it to the shelves...

Edited by Erik Smith

Here are a few more of my 4 x 4 projects:

8016-01.jpg

This is my first fire department's 1979 Dodge Powerwagon brush truck.

My last fire department's 1991 Ford Bronco Fire Chief's vehicle.

3600-A.jpg

picsay-1320043623.jpg

This was started with a Pinecrest Scale Models casting.

This is an early mock-up of my 2004 Ford/Horton airport light rescue response vehicle. Since then the graphics have been refined, and a chassis built.

picsay-1319923137.jpg

It's sister unit, a 2004 Ford 4 x 4 airport ambulance

DSC04752.jpg

This last model is a 1/35 scale HEMTT 978 that is now "retired" from military service, and will be used by a civilian fire department as a wildland heavy brush tanker/tender once completed.

picsay-1378611317.jpg

Still lots to do on all of these projects, plus several others that I do not have pictures of at hand such as 1988 Ford and 1991 Ford brush trucks. One project on my "build list" is a 1986 Oshkosh P-19

P-19_Kern_C0.jpg

David

The US missed out (and misses out) on a lot of cars the rest of the world gets - and Landcruisers are one. We, the US, get fully loaded comfort cruisers meant to drive kids to school and then to the before lunch Margarita meeting followed by endless soccer tournaments and practice...

DSC02163_zpsf5223530.jpg

and would have loved to ship it home! Simple, solid, transportation - 6 cylinder diesel, full floating axles, snorkel, and manual windows and transmission! A base model Landcruiser would interest me in a model, too, I guess, for nostalgia.

The US market missed on Toyota four door trucks for decades, too, and not sure why.

Hmmm. I'd assumed Toyota had dominated the 4wd wagon market worldwide with the 'cruiser.

Just shows the old saying is true - Assumption is the mother of all mess ups.

They are still THE choice here if you want to go further off road than the pony club paddock and you want to do it in comfort.

Watching footage of the UN inspectors looking for nerve gas in Syria shows the UN continue their love affair with them. The TV news showed a convoy of white 200 series 'cruisers rolling into damascus full of blue berets.

Here is a US spec LC , looks like its the same generation as the one you posted, and as you can see, it looks pretty basic, sure, doesnt have a snorkel, but I am pretty sure you can buy one after market

800px-Toyota_Land_Cruiser_--_03-25-2010_

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Land_Cruiser

As for the kits , the four door Hilux kits did make there way over here, why do you think that they came with LHD options, so the we could make them US spec if we wanted too, Sure, not all LHS might of stocked them, but they were here .

I will agree, we do miss out on a lot of vehicles, but a lot of that has to do with NHTSA that has and does prevent a lot of vehicles from coming over here

Edited by martinfan5

Hmmm. I'd assumed Toyota had dominated the 4wd wagon market worldwide with the 'cruiser.

Just shows the old saying is true - Assumption is the mother of all mess ups.

They are still THE choice here if you want to go further off road than the pony club paddock and you want to do it in comfort.

Watching footage of the UN inspectors looking for nerve gas in Syria shows the UN continue their love affair with them. The TV news showed a convoy of white 200 series 'cruisers rolling into damascus full of blue berets.

Popular here, too, you just see them on the highway, not off it...but the basic transport versions stopped with the earlier series.

Here is a US spec LC , looks like its the same generation as the one you posted, and as you can see, it looks pretty basic, sure, doesnt have a snorkel, but I am pretty sure you can buy one after market

800px-Toyota_Land_Cruiser_--_03-25-2010_

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Land_Cruiser

As for the kits , the four door Hilux kits did make there way over here, why do you think that they came with LHD options, so the we could make them US spec if we wanted too, Sure, not all LHS might of stocked them, but they were here .

I will agree, we do miss out on a lot of vehicles, but a lot of that has to do with NHTSA that has and does prevent a lot of vehicles from coming over here

That's an 80 series, the one in my picture is a 105, not available in the US.

Yes, the KITS of four door hi lux made it, but not the real trucks!

1986_Toyota_4x4_Pick_Up_4_Door_South_Afr

Still, I am kind of wasting space here as I don't have a huge interest in off road models... :o

Yes, the KITS of four door hi lux made it, but not the real trucks!

1986_Toyota_4x4_Pick_Up_4_Door_South_Afr

Still, I am kind of wasting space here as I don't have a huge interest in off road models... :o

I went to Aruba in 1991 and these were all over the place. A guy on one of the tours with us worked for Toyota of Canada and was very upset that they weren't sold in North America. He figured they could have sold a ton of them! You never know exactly why manufacturers offer vehicles in certain markets but not in others!

I'd love to have models of the classic XJ Cherokee and the WJ (2nd generation) Grand Cherokee like my 1:1. Alas, neither were ever done in 1:24th/1:25th. I'd love to also see a kit of the original Ford Bronco--and the 'Big Oly' racing version--- and the Bronco II (my first SUV was an '88 Bronco II XLT Eddie Bauer).

Edited by Rob Hall

• 2 months later...

1. I'd like to build a replica of my -97 S10 4x4 p/u

pickisen.jpg

2. I'd also like to build a VERY VERY early type Land Rover, maybe even a prototype if I could find enough material while doing research on that subject!

3. I'd like to build a replica of the very first AMT Blazer I built in the mid 70's.

Edited by Chromecop