Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT '50 Chevy Pickup - Doctor Cranky's All-Time Favorite Kit Is Getting Re-Released

I have to get one of these. If the only real problem is too many instruction sets, that must mean the rest of the kit is amazing.

Well if you ever built the '50 Chevrolet 3100 kit back in the early '90's, that's all this is with a few newly tooled parts and decal sheet for the "Texaco Service Truck". For a 15-18 year old tool that's been issued as many times as it has everything in my kit is as crisp as the original issue I have.

Can't help but think this might have been a few bucks cheaper if you weren't paying Chevron the licensing fees, and it had just been re-popped like the other kits of it's era that Round 2 has done ('70 1/2 Camaro , '66 442, '55 Chevrolet Cameo, etc.) But I see the big picture, much like the kits with the Coke connection, they will sell a pile to people with no intention of building it, but collect period service station memorabilia, and/or Texaco & Chevron collectibles.

Edited by niteowl7710

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I bought one of these a month or so ago and it had at least six instruction books in it. I have since traded it but I will buy another one. I was disappointed with the amount of flash the kit has now, I built the original issue of this kit and it was almost totally flash free. It's amazing the molds have worn so much and I hope it isn't a sign of things to come for all of the new, nice, AMT kits.

I bought one. I got the paint but I need to fabricate a holmes twin boom wrecker setup on mine. The 77 GMC wrecker unit sucks. Someone is throwing around the idea up in the resin section of building a resin wrecker kit for it. I am still trying to find proper wheels for the dually setup.

Chuck,

I have been toying with a way to change that.

I worked out a way to fix it, too, trouble is I never got around to finishing the 'test subject'. I'd really like to see your take on it- mine seemed kind of tedious. Let's just say there was a lot of trimming and force-fitting parts with my method. :lol:

I'm actually currently building one as a 3800 1 ton with a 9 foot bed. The Revell pickup kits are very nice but I prefer the way AMT does their beds. I mostly build commercial trucks (3/4 ton +) and the way AMT sets up the kits with seperate fenders / bed sides / running boards makes it easier to turn the short bed 1/2 tons into longbed trucks.

Guest G Holding

Compared to the Revell 50 F1....this kit is poor....due to its vintage. I will build up as a sweet ride, although the suspension is lifted..sits quite high.

The Ford kit is much nicer, although it comes with a race motor..the Ardun

• 3 weeks later...

I dont have the gas station truck, but do have the green, stock, 1950 3100, and I really like the detail and the quality. Got to admit one thing. I have been out of this hobby since the late 80's, so seeing what is being made today, versus what I last had to work with, todays detail and choices are really good.

Compared to the Revell 50 F1....this kit is poor....due to its vintage. I will build up as a sweet ride, although the suspension is lifted..sits quite high.

Thise kits were tooled about the same time originally. The 3100 actually sits a little low compared to the 1:1, mainly due to the undersize tires (the kit has 6.70-15s, 27" diamer in 1:1, the actual truck ran 6.00-16s, which were just a tad over 30" in diameter).

• 6 months later...

Compared to the Revell 50 F1....this kit is poor....due to its vintage.

I wouldn't grade it as poor, but maybe average. It has fewer parts compared to the Monogram '50 F-1 and the details aren't quite as crisp, but the '50 Chevy does remind me of Monogram's older 1/24 kits- a bit simplified, easy to assemble, and when completed, it looks like the real thing.

just picked mine up at michaels this past weekend with a 50% off coupon

Ditto, as $14.00 is more in line with re-issue prices. This version of the kit may be worth seeking out just for the decal sheet, though, as the decal sheet (and the Texaco decals in particular) is (are) very, very nice:

AMT50ChevyPUTexacoDecals1.jpg

AMT50ChevyPUDecals2.jpg

AMT50ChevyPUDecals3.jpg

As others have said they were tooled around the same time, I believe the Chevy is about 3 years older. But the original run of the Ford didn't include the custom engine parts, 2 of the 3 wheel choices, or any of the other custom parts that are in the current kit. It was a bone stock truck cast in a "lovely" powder blue no less.

FordF100PickupTruckModelKit.jpg

I finally got that Stock only Original 50 F-1. and have both the glue & SnapFast Original issues of the Chevy.

I need to dig them, out!!!

Yes, They are about the same vintage for tooling. I also prefer the separate box parts.

Monogram/Revell's method of making the bed floor part of the cab floor & front fenders is interesting, but does block

or at least make More work in converting the F-1 into longer boxes, or chassis configurations.

• 1 year later...

Hopefully we will see some new parts, especially that barn door front bumper. But no matter what, this is a great little kit and has been a modeler's favorite since its introduction in 1994. Shawn Carpenter has a 1950 GMC conversion for this, and I remember more than one resin caster has a van/delivery body for this kit. 1954 cab conversions were available from All American Models and F&F Resin Casting, but sadly both are now out of production (hey resin casters! Here is an opportunity!!!)

What I would personally LOVE to see is a resin ice cream truck conversion, including those all too prominent Good Humor or Bungalow Bar decals! What do you guys think?

reading this post I had a vision of any ice cream truck with cheech and chong driving it modeled after the one they drove in nice dreams