Model Cars Magazine Forum

One Kit, One Island!

Here's a game I'll revive from another board on another planet, a long time ago!

You are going to a desert island and can only have one kit. You can have cases of them to build any way you like, and you'll have all the supplies, tools etc. you'll need.

What kit would you bring that you'd be content to build over and over... and why?

Me? Mine would be the AMT '53 Ford pickup. I just love that kit and would be happy to build a bunch of different light commercial variations, drag trucks, rods and customs! There's enough in that kit to keep me happy for a long time.

Okay, your turn!

Tom, what are you trying to do? If you're looking to cause a general hobby-wide mental meltdown, this is as good a way to make builders short-circuit as I can imagine. lol.

I'm thinking the Revell '29 Ford Pickup. You did say unlimited supplies so just make sure that includes sheet stock and I'll make my own rod bodies. :P

Yeah, this thread is kinda ironic when we have a couple of other threads going that discuss the size of our model stash, and *why* we stash them.

However, I'll play along.

My favorite kit is the JoHan Chrysler Turbine Car (full glue-kit version, not the promo). I figure that I could build a dozen or so before I'd ever finally get it right....

A kit of a boat so I could get off the island to the nearest Hobby Shop. :lol: But in all honesty I would pick one of those AMT three car gift packs so I could have some variety. If not that then I would have a few of the new Aoshima Rocket bunny 86 kits, I think I could build a few of those.

All kidding aside, I think it would have to be the 1/16th Petty Charger kit. I could build all his cars from '72 to '77 and all the other chargers that ran in the '71 to '77 era. It's a phenomenal kit that can stand on it's own without extra additives.

Of all the cars I can think of, the '32 AMT Ford roadster probably has to have more possible 'looks' than anything else. With a parts stash to draw from, like Jantrix said, i could build a LOT of those. B)

If all i could have is what's in the box, I'd have to go AMT '36 Ford. Already have lots of ideas for that one, and will probably never get to half of them.

The Aurora '34 ford double kit ought to be good for half a dozen different looks at least, too.

Could maybe do several Ford GT-40 builds. Hmmm.....

Or '57 Fords...

But NOT having a stash would really take most of the fun out of it for me. Having the equivalent of a 1/25 scale junkyard that goes on for acres, plus a well stocked speed shop with almost everything imaginable would be kinda hard to do without. :unsure:

Edited by Ace-Garageguy