Model Cars Magazine Forum

Just to add to this. A wrecker will be subject to Hours Of Service regulations so the sleeper will give the company and flexibility on non emergency calls. If you have to tow something a long distance or if the job is taking a long time the driver can get the required time off in the bunk and stay legal. If they get hired for a repo job or moving a damaged truck back to a dealer that is a distance away they will be able to do it.

The build is looking good I drive a tanker all day and it's coming together nice.

Just to add to this. A wrecker will be subject to Hours Of Service regulations so the sleeper will give the company and flexibility on non emergency calls. If you have to tow something a long distance or if the job is taking a long time the driver can get the required time off in the bunk and stay legal. If they get hired for a repo job or moving a damaged truck back to a dealer that is a distance away they will be able to do it.

Actually, Ed, you would be surprised how little HOS regs apply to the towing industry. Yes, on any tows over 100 air miles from the main terminal, all HOS regs apply just as any road truck, as well as carrying a log (comic :lol: ) book, but local most everything goes out the window. I've been on some calls, mostly wrecks, where I worked 20 hrs and went home for a few hour nap and back out the next morning. I drove almost everything from HAZ MAT to tankers and doubles. I even pulled a trailer that was put out of service by the DOT, it was out of service for being unsafe, but it was legal for me to pull it with one of our tractors.

Hey fellas Im back with another installment of the MAD MODELLER!!!! LOL! anyway as you know Ive been working on the rear of the wrecker I opened up all the storage compartments and lined them with coragated steele and I made some doors I just have to figure out the best way to go about hinging em. And I added another 6 scale inches to the overall length of the truck body which means i have to add another 6scale inches to the chassis (thats what happens boys and girls when you dont do your math homework) well I hope you enjoy the photos....

heres one of the kit compartment doors and the doors i made on the second pic...

doorsopened002.jpg

doorsopened001.jpg

here i cut all the compartment doors out....

doorsopened003.jpg

as you can see the doors are raised so all had to be smoothed out or sanded down....

doorsopened004.jpg

doorsopened005.jpg

here I started to add the coragated steele to the boxes

doorsopened007.jpg

doorsopened009.jpg

And heres a mockup for ya enjoy......

doorsopened012.jpg

Edited by Aftashox

Thx Jim, Matt & Davin , You know I never thought of doin a semi either bec ause i didnt think I could do any good detailing to it but im learning now that I cant be more technical with this build than just doing cars. I guess its always good to broaden our scope of building :lol:

Okay Rom, I have to ask, judging by your lap top in one pohoto and now judging by this photo. How long is the rig? I say around 20inchs at least.

Dang Jim! Youre pretty good the lenght is 19 inches as it sits right now, but im thinking seriously about adding a second steer axel(pictured below) which would give it 4 steer wheels and make it a little longer. thx for asking bro.

fl025-0011238516888.jpg

Edited by Aftashox

I AM LATIMORE!!!! Elf foreman of the "FUOMBE" (Federated Union of Model Building Elves) and we are sick and tired of taking a back seat while Romell gets all the glory for models we build! We hereby demand to be recongnized! Or we will no longer build his models!

Must be time for another pay raise for the workers.... I hate that they voted to go union :rolleyes:

Dang Jim! Youre pretty good the lenght is 19 inches as it sits right now, but im thinking seriously about adding a second steer axel(pictured below) which would give it 4 steer wheels and make it a little longer. thx for asking bro.

fl025-0011238516888.jpg

Thank you sir. I thought it was around 20 inches at least by what I compaired it to in your photos. You have a good idea about the 4 steering.. and I might ad if you do go that route your build will be the first one I have ever seen ;)

With what these wrecker companies charge to fire up a rig like this I would be surprised to see them tow farther than the nearest shop or their storage yard. I have seen trucks being towed down the interstate but more likely they are the exception and not the rule.

Sweet build going, any ideas on a color scheme yet?

having worked for a company that does cross country tows it isn't that bad, in the neighbor hood of $5 a mile, for the tow/delivery, & initial hookup fees.

You are raising the stakes! Your build is looking good!

You got me thinking about opening the doors!

My Build

I checked out your build, which is very nicely done btw. its interesting that we started a day apartand had the same idea to change out the cabs keep up the good work. :)

Edited by Aftashox

I checked out your build, which ia very nicely done btw. its interesting that we started a day apartand had the same idea to change out the cabs keep up the good work. :rolleyes:

Thank you! I look forward to seeing your truck "unfold" :)