Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Well guys as I mentioned I was gonna get a few shots in the sunlight. I got a few, wasn't really happy because it was the wrong time of the day with where the sun was plus the fact i didn't spend much time because it was dang hot out there and I didn't want the model to melt on me....LOL Heres a few shots for you:

Side View:

DP-Army-Vega3659-1_zpsc6eac7e4.jpg

This wasn't the best shot since the sun was sorta on top and behind the model:

DP-Army-Vega3642-1_zpsf85546a4.jpg

Front Axle again;

DP-Army-Vega3647-1_zps5d87ba9e.jpg

Another view:

DP-Army-Vega3654-1_zps241fe187.jpg

DP-Army-Vega3656-1_zpseae9d48c.jpg

View from Behind:

DP-Army-Vega3656-1_zpseae9d48c.jpg

The seat again:

DP-Army-Vega3649-1_zps665cfdd1.jpg

Here is the reference pic I used for the seat pad:

Army-36copy_zps971f1fcb.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Chris;

Just got back from vacation, forum was down before I left and so I had been anxious to see your updates when I returned....

Simply amazed at your work and how you manage to keep everything so clean....The Dzus spring clips are downright unbelievable....Did you glue those with CA or something else??....Can't even tell they're glued!!....Amazingly CLEAN work!!!

Lee.... Thank you for the kind words. I was hoping to have even more done by now but during the time the forum was down I had gone on vacation for a week as well. The glue that I used to glue the Dzus fastener spring clips in was Microscales Kristial Klear. It's the only white glue I know that drys completely clear.

Paul.... I am only trying to stay up with you guys. I will promise and not post any more pics of the reference car...lol

Joe.... Thank you so much bud. I feel great about having this as. A roller. Now I can't wait to have more added to the chassis.

Michael.... Thank you for the kind comments and for following along on this long journey.

DP-Army-Vega3659-1_zpsc6eac7e4.jpg

Chris, you been sneaking around to that workshop again, huh? :blink:

Man, that looks super freakin' sweet mate. A real eye popper of a shot. I have missed so much with this build. :(

But you never disappoint mate, that's just the way you are. A true perfectionist! Definitely a bar re-setter, and nothing less will do. B)

Be here to enjoy this to the end now mate, bring it on brother. :)

I don't even know what to say, Chris to describe your car at this point. I can say that I'm tickled to see you starting the assembly phase. I'm looking forward to continued updates. It is just so cool to see the progress you've made on this and the pains you've gone to, to make it right.... Keep it up, brother! :)

Greg.... Thanks Mate!! Its great to see you back here. You are right I have been sneaking around in the workshop again ;) . Thanks for all of the the kind comments.

Bill... Thanks bud.... I am super excited to have this build at this point. I want to get more of it done so I can see it more together...lol

Mike.... Thanks bud. Thanks for not minding when I call and pick your brain.

Dave... Thank you sir. I am like you and can't wait to see the engine in it but before I get there I am working on the 5 point harness and want to get the overflow tank mounted. Then I will jump back to the engine.

Steve... Thank you! The Alclad Chrome took some practice with some trial and error that I did on some test pieces. I also have to give some credit to John Teresi and thank him because he has helped me with his technique with it since he is the Alclad Master.

Scott... Thanks bud!! I am assuming leaving you guys speechless is a good thing?? :lol: You are right about the pains to make things correct. I am very happy with the progress and have more motivation seeing it come together now.

Edgar... Thank you for the kind comments. I can't tell you on how many parts I have redone a couple of times because I wasn't happy with them

Ok Fellas... I have a little update to share with you. The past few days I have been planning how I was going to do the restraint system. I pretty much had all of the materials and a few of the things I had to be creative with. I was debating for a little bit on how I was going to have the belts attach to the chassis and after talking with Mike Garland, I was basing it off the chassis from the Redici & Wise car from Aurora since they were in the same era of car and I had seen some good pics on the Straight Line Modelers website. Now I don't have the restraint system complete but I am making progress. Here is the progress...

Here are a couple of the materials I am starting out with. I am using Replica's and Minatures Seat belt hardware, I will be using a Pro Tech 1/16th throttle linkage set to make the restraint tie downs to the chassis. and the Tape is Johnson & Johnson medical tape for the belt material:

DP-Army-Vega3664-1_zps941b3ee3.jpg

Here are the actual pieces that I am using from the Pro Tech Throttle linkage set:

DP-Army-Vega3668-1_zps1e3ee065.jpg

Here are the pieces making up the tie down portion to mount the lap belt. I have used 1/32" Dia tubing and 3/64" Dia tubing. The 1/32 will slide into the 3/64. Then along with two of the Pro Tech parts and 4 of the Scale hardware bolts:

DP-Army-Vega3672-1_zpscbe1212a.jpg

You all are gonna laugh on this one. I need to find a material for the fire retardant material that is wrapped around the webbing of the restraint. well I had a few ideas and from metal cupcake wrapper, silver material from gum, the silver paper material from a cigarette box (Since I don't smoke I didn't have any) then it hit me eating Chick-fil-a earlier this week. The material that is used for their chicken sandwiches is lined with the perfect material. So I went there for lunch again today and asked them for a couple of brand new bags to use on this progect.....LOL:

DP-Army-Vega3678-1_zpsb07cbb35.jpg

Here is the Crotch Belt Installed:

DP-Army-Vega3685-1_zpsa7a53256.jpg

Here is the tie down bracket to hold it in place:

DP-Army-Vega3690-1_zps4e9be07d.jpg

Another view of the bracket and you can see the material used around the seat belt material to act as the fire retardant material. I forgot to mention that the brass tube that you can see I covered with with Bare Metal Foil so I didn't have to paint it...lol:

DP-Army-Vega3695-1_zps3056c983.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Chris, totally agree with Ben, that IS disgusting.............LOL :lol:

As is my typical post reading execution, I saw the pic of the chicken packet and thought you used the lunch packet...so glad I then read that you asked for new ones. :lol: :D BRILLIANT idea bud. B)

The tie downs look absolutely flawless too mate, I might just have to borrow that idea as well. :wub: ;)

You know, as harsh as this may sound.....I want you to slow down, I don't know if I'll survive once it's completed and there are no more updates. :(

Keep at it buddy, I'm diggin' this immensely. ;)