Model Cars Magazine Forum

'57 Chevy Stepside "Down Low" - Updated 10/13/2013

Richard... Thank you. It turned out way better than I expected.

Brad.... Thanks bud. I am really happy with how this turned out and glad I decided to go this route with the blanket. It fits the build way better.

Justin.... Thank you. It's really simple and easy it just takes a little bit of time to make it.

James... Thank you for the kind words.

Tom.... Thank you. I am stoked with it and it was worth the few hours of work to make it.

Edited by Mooneyzs

Keke....Thank you!

James.... Thanks for the kind words. I pretty much just winged it for the pattern. The first one I did I messed up and then this one I started from the center and worked my way out each way and turned out much better.

well guys I got a little more work done to the dash and just a few more details to add to it. Maybe I will get to it today and possibly have an updated pic to share later. I got the knobs mounted on the dash and I need to paint them as well as getting the speedometer numbers dry brushed.

Man Chris, that blanket turned out real nice. I did my first one a few weeks ago for fun. After seeing yours I think ill try and make a few more. Just my opinion but I like the blanket 10x more then the animal print.

Jason.... thanks man. I have to agree with you that after I did the blanket... I like it way better than the animal print I had on the seat. I feel it fits the truck so much better. It took me a couple of tries to get this one correct and that I was happy with.

Curt.... Thank you so much for the kind words. You know its not very hart to do the blanket, I think that it is just more time consuming that anything.

Well Guys.... I haven't done to much more to this lately other than I got a little more work done on the dash. I am gonna try and spend a little time on this one today hopefully. I know I have been focusing more on the 1/16th Scale F/C but am itching to make some more progress on this Pick Up. Stay tuned and I will have some updates hopefully shortly.

John Pol... thank you! are you talking about the knobs that are on the dash?? those knobs are actually little nails that came with some Micro Marks brass hinges that I picked up they were the perfect size

Edward.... Thank you!

Bill... thanks very much man, I appreciate it.

Ok guys... So I got a little more done to this. The dash is pretty much done other than I would like to add a set of gages under the dash. The one thing I am not happy with is the speedometer. the molding of the numbers wasn't very great in this kit. I tried dry brushing them the best I could and didn't turn out like I would like. I am really thinking of taking the pic of that speedo that was posted a page or 2 back and seeing if I can scale it down and print it out to fit in the dash and glue it in place. I also got the fuel tank painted and glued in place.

I will be getting the door handle and window cranks on a little later today. here are the pics

Here is the Dash, and as I mention I really hate how the speedo turned out. I need to do something to fix it... :lol: :

57-Chevy-PU176-1_zps76e7386f.jpg

57-Chevy-PU172-1_zps25b097e8.jpg

Here is the fuel tank, which probably won't be seen when the seat is glued in... ;

57-Chevy-PU178-1_zpsaa8afe89.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Larry... Thank you man. I am digging how its turning out so far.

James... Thank you very much.

Mike... Thanks for posting that pic. I am gonna try to get that printed out and install on this dash.

Andy... Thanks man. Actually you are going to laugh, I didn't use any glue on the blanket. The blanket was put together using Tamiya tape. I laid the sticky side up and put the thread down on that.

Ok guys I had these pics to post yesterday but was having issues with the site and google chrome and today posting off my iPad. I got the door handles installed as well as the seat belts. Here they are:

Passenger door:

57-Chevy-PU187-1_zps4542016f.jpg

Driver door:

57-Chevy-PU189-1_zpse9778ed5.jpg

Seat belts:

57-Chevy-PU194-1_zps3f5718ba.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

• 3 weeks later...

I still love that seat! I went to Wally's and bought ten different colors of the DMC Embroider Floss to try them out. At the same time I found they had small fabric bolts for 99 cents for crafts and patches. I found two different ones that looked like they'd work in scale. Here's one on the seats in my latest camper.

IMG_3332-vi.jpg

James... Thanks man. I appreciate it. I enjoy adding those small little details in my builds.

Tom.... Thanks I am really happy with how the seat turned out in this, much better than I expected. That interior of the camper looks great so far. Hey would you mind taking a pic of those fabric bolts you mentioned and post them. Would love to see what they look like. I happened to be at walmart today and look for them but didn't see any but then again really didn't know what I was looking for...lol

Chris, next time you travel into Phoenix check out a place that's called SAS, they sell scraps and remnants of all kinds of fabric/thread/lace/trim.... for really amazing prices. I picked up some really nice leather scraps that I use for interiors/seats, I got a couple pounds of it for a few bucks many years ago and haven't come close to using it up yet.

there are more than one SAS so you'll need to check for addresses.